Mag Xenon Disappointment

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
Been playing for two weeks with the 6 d Xenon white Star bulb. 233 lumens, well, i can't appreciate them. This bulb appears to fit inside, but the beam has a giant hole I can't get rid of by adjusting. it's a little bit wider and maaaaayyybbee a touch brighter, but overall, I'm disappointed.

Any similar experiences? Anything I can do?

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Rusty Joe, first off the standard krypton lamp is known as the "white star", and the xenon lamps are known as "magnum star", you describe both so I'm not sure which one you have.

Regarding the giant hole in your beam, that only happens when the beam is adjusted to all flood, the hole always dissapears when you tightly focus in no matter what bulb your using. What your describing doesn't sound right, I have never heard of that issue your describing, and I've been using mags for quite some time. Is the reflector properly installed and is the bulb sitting down in the socket correctly?

In my experience the magnum star xenon lamps, particualy in the 6D cell, make a pretty signifigant difference in whiteness and brightness when compaired to the standard white star kyrpton lamp.

elseis66

Newly Enlightened
I was also unimpressed with the mag xenon magnum star lamps when I tried them. I would recommend switching to a 5 cell krypton. The 5 cell lamp will be over driven a bit by the 6 cells and will produce brighter beam, probably a little closer to what you were expecting. Also I have found that if you rotate the reflector by taking off the cap of the head or rotating the lamp it will sometimes help the beam. I know I did not articulate that very well but I hope it helps you. I love Maglites.

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
I've got it (the Magnum Star 6 D bulb Xenon) in a 2 C modded with 3 CR123s. I may try the 5 D thing. The 6 D bulb that came with the 6 D Mag has always been my best thrower. If 5 D bulb can squeeze out any extra, it's gravy.

The hole isn't too big, but it makes it so that the light is no longer a good thrower. That I hate.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
The 6D cell magnum star xenon lamp is a much better choice than the 5 cell krypton lamp for the following reasons

1. The 5 cell krypton lamp will be overdriven very hard with 3 CR123's, maybe even instaflash. 6 D cell alkalines overdrive the 5 cell lamp, but alkalines sag under load, so 3 CR123's are going to overdrive it even harder for longer, therefore the lamps lifespan is going to be compromised, which will dramatically affect reliability overall, you'll likey end up buring the lamp up at a bad time.

2. The magnum star xenon lamps's construction is of much higher quality than the standard krypton lamps, the filaments appear much stronger and heavy duty than the flimsy looking ones on the krypton lamp. The overall build is much better, globe and base of the lamp is of higher quality.

I suspect there may be an issue with your xenon lamp, after a lamp takes a hard fall or drop the beam can be affected negatively, I suggest getting a new xenon lamp and giving it a try, if you aren't satisfied then go with a 5 cell krypton. The 6 cell xenon should not have a hole in the center, I have owned many of these lamps over the years and none exhibit the hole in the center when tightly focused, and I would be very surprised if you bought another lamp and it exhibited the same issues you're having.

Last edited:

Rusty Joe

Newly Enlightened
The 6D cell magnum star xenon lamp is a much better choice than the 5 cell krypton lamp for the following reasons

1. The 5 cell krypton lamp will be overdriven very hard with 3 CR123's, maybe even instaflash. 6 D cell alkalines overdrive the 5 cell lamp, but alkalines sag under load, so 3 CR123's are going to overdrive it even harder for longer, therefore the lamps lifespan is going to be compromised, which will dramatically affect reliability overall, you'll likey end up buring the lamp up at a bad time.

2. The magnum star xenon lamps's construction is of much higher quality than the standard krypton lamps, the filaments appear much stronger and heavy duty than the flimsy looking ones on the krypton lamp. The overall build is much better, globe and base of the lamp is of higher quality.

I suspect there may be an issue with your xenon lamp, after a lamp takes a hard fall or drop the beam can be affected negatively, I suggest getting a new xenon lamp and giving it a try, if you aren't satisfied then go with a 5 cell krypton. The 6 cell xenon should not have a hole in the center, I have owned many of these lamps over the years and none exhibit the hole in the center when tightly focused, and I would be very surprised if you bought another lamp and it exhibited the same issues you're having.

I hear you on the 5 C bulb. It turns out, I recall instaflashing one about a year ago trying something similar. AFter I get back from the store, I'm going to take the Xenon out again and do some playing. Also may fool with adjusting it as I just was, but it's hard to get a perfect needle-point spot as with the Krypton. Maybe I just haven't tested it sufficiently yet. But failing that, I'll want a replacement as you mention.

I, too, love the Mag bodies and am trying to maximize their use, as in the case of my 2 Cs and 2 Ds. I'm ropping them and keeping the 4 D and 6 D on stand-by with stock bulbs for good measure (aka, letting any intruders have it!). I really didn't have too high of hopes. Sometimes it's just a roll of the dice in how good a bulb you get, I suppose.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Rusty Joe, I would definetly try and get another 6D xenon lamp before I messed with the 5 cell krypton. My gut tells me your's is defective. Just try to remember though, it's only a $5 bulb in a $15 maglite, so getting a perfect hotspot isn't always possible.

I have a 6D cell mag with an Ultra Clear glass lens and xenon lamp I use for the "hear a noise in the middle of the night" type light. It may not be the most effective light as far as output to weight ratio goes, but it is an excellent self defense tool should the situation arise.

Fresh Light

Enlightened
I believe it's a six cell krypton I use in the 7D light I have. It works fine, but I'm sure that magnum star gives a much whiter beam.

ebow86

Flashlight Enthusiast
I also want to add that the xenon lamps tend to give a better quality beam over the krypton lamps, so that's another advantage.

Fresh Light, how do you like your 7D mag? I always wanted one but wasn't willing to pay the premium. How did you get yours if I may ask?

ZMZ67

Flashlight Enthusiast
IIRC the krypton bulb will focus to a finer point than the Xenon but I haven't compared them in a while.I don't notice a hole in the beam of my 3X123 2C with a Magnum Star Xenon unless I hold it less than two feet from the wall.Maybe the bulb is bad or the Mag is damaged.I have use 5-cell bulbs in the 3XCR123 before with decent results in fact the Magnum Star in there now is a 5-cell.Completely fresh CR123s may instaflash the bulbs but once they have been depleted a little your results should be better.