Maglight refurbishing service?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I just sent Lift'd a Mag for parts, but I'm thinking he'll probably get it working again. As a bonus I included an old Pro-Light with some alkaleak that'll be a challenge but I know he is up for the task. I saw what he did with a Vari-Beam I decided was too much work. Turned out nice n bright.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got this light yesterday and sent Grakken a PM. Ohh my gosh it is going to be a lot of work. The retaining ring is stuck as well as the negative screw in the switch which means the whole switch can not be salvaged and it's about 4 hours worth or work plus soaking. This light looks like all the batteries corroded in it. Also, it's a 5D. I may not restore it only because it's not very rare and I have a bunch of other lights to do.

But..... I have no plans for this weekend and I'm off Monday so it's a 4 day weekend. I'll probably at least try to liberate the switch then and post some pics. I think I have an easier method than using the dremel to grind away the retaining ring.

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
It's only a 5 cell? Man, it's so big I could have sworn it was the 6 cell version. Anyway, if it's interesting as a case study please post pics but don't waste any time on it if you don't think it's worth it. Feel free to cannibalize it for parts for your other projects.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
The retaining ring is stuck as well as the negative screw in the switch which means the whole switch can not be salvaged and it's about 4 hours worth or work plus soaking. .

just take a big bit and drill right thru the switch, than hammer it out.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
just take a big bit and drill right thru the switch, than hammer it out.

Right, but how about the aluminum retaining ring? Hammering that out will destroy the light.

So.... here's what I came up with. In the past I've used a dremel but this method proved far easier. I had the retaining ring out in 10 minutes.

What I'll do is take a 5/32 drill bit and drill out the small indents that are made for the spanner tool. Be sure to hold the drill straight up and down. The object is to drill as close to the threads as possible without actually touching them.Once through I'll drill another hole close to the inner diameter of the retaining ring to effectively split the retaining ring in two. When done correctly it should look like the picture below.

usisK5E.jpg

Once there is little material remaining a brass punch can be used to break the retaining ring away from the threads. Be sure to set the light on a wooden surface so it is not damaged during the removal. I set the brass punch as far away from the threads as I can as the object is to bend the retaining ring and split it where it was ground down so it will pull away from the threads. Shown below is what the ring looks like after broken and removed. You can see how little material is left that had to break at the outside edge.

szST7PW.jpg

I have a bunch of newer style switches with the plastic retaining ring so I'll be installing one of those soon. Most folks probably don't have to worry about a retaining ring that's stuck. You could always leave it in place and try to insert the new switch through the back of the light. If there is heavy corrosion in the barrel through this may be difficult and you might end up damaging the switch. It's always easier to remove the switch through the front of the barrel.

Grakken, I'll be sending this light back to you in a couple of weeks. I've been working on it a little bit here and there and should have it up and running soon.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Also, here's a pic of the drilled out switch. You can see how much corrosion is on the the screw that makes contact with the body. This is what wouldn't allow it to turn.

czflgdy.jpg

4SSUPJf.jpg

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
Haha wow, looks horrific, very interesting LiftdT4R, you're amazing. I meant for you to have the light for parts but if you restore it I'm going to send you some funds for this work. I'll pm you.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Haha wow, looks horrific, very interesting LiftdT4R, you're amazing. I meant for you to have the light for parts but if you restore it I'm going to send you some funds for this work. I'll pm you.

Another collector gifted/donated me a bunch of Maglite parts including switches, seals, etc. so I have maybe an hour into it and no parts costs. The drilling made getting the retaining ring so much easier to get out vs. using the dremel. Just keep me in mind if ya know someone with a rare Mag they're looking to sell. I've been looking for a 7D for a few years now with no luck. :-(

Have a great 4th!!

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Alright, I didn't forget about ya. I've been soaking the light for the last week to remove all the alkaline corrosion. Well.... she's all done. Here's all the parts getting ready to put it back together. The reflector lost most of it's chrome so I put in a slightly used one that I pulled out of my 3D when I converted it to an aluminum camless reflector for my Malkoff upgrade. The new switch has the plastic retaining ring so if a battery corrodes it will be easily removable (All Maglite owners should try their best not to leave their lights with batteries in them for a long time unless they're lithium or rechargables.) Gotta love the Lubri-film too. I put this on all the threads and seals for extra waterproofness and because it makes operation of the light buttery smooth.

WqrtuHy.jpg

And she's all back together.

6Ec92x4.jpg

Lookin' good in the neighborhood. But does she work?

PLP77YJ.jpg

Ohh yeah!

EOfAMzu.jpg

I'm going to use this light over the next couple of days at work and over the weekend just to make sure I got all of the corrosion out and that it's all working just fine and I'll be sending it back to you next week. I had to replace the reflector, switch, and spring but all the seals and threads look good. Most of the parts I got for free. The longest art was soaking and scrubbing out all of the corrosion. The retaining ring came out surprisingly easy by drilling it. 10x faster than using the dremel like I have in the past.

Happy St. Incand's guys!!

Grakken

Newly Enlightened
Wow, that's fantastic. You're a star LiftdT4R. I can't wait to check it out in person, what a transformation. I'm going to compensate you somehow.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...-How-to-re-assemble-pre-2001-C-Maglite-switch
Here's a thread I used today to solve a flickering when twisting the head of a 2C dilema. Post 5 still has pix and post 8 has a great description.

I removed the swich assembly and "boy-yoy-yoy-yoyng" parts went a flying as the assembly self destructed...
Hope it helps somebody else too.

Basically during the removal of the switch a bir on the opposite side of the switch dug a groove in the body as the assembly was being popped out.
(I later learned this evening that it's the 5/64th's or Torx set screw that I had not loosened. Doh!)
That screwed up the threads the retaining ring needs later. I took a small precision screwdriver and scraped the high spots off the threads. Then without the switch installed yet screwed the retaining ring in and out several times to get the threads normal again.

To aid I used a silicone grease as a lube (and alkaleak bond preventer later) then a pair of poultry shears acted as a "bung" of sorts.
(footnote: a bung is a round wedge used to plug leaks in boats or old wooden keg filler hole plugs) By using a bung it added grip to the inside of the retaining ring when grip was needed to get past bad spots in the threads. After tightening/loosening several times the threads were like new and once the switch assembly was installed the ring screwed down easily. Oh and I dremel'd off that little bir on the rear of the assembly. (The retainer screw 'spike')

I used a couple of dabs of E6000 glue to hold the halves of the assembly together after reassembling the switch assembly. A temporary adhesive that will prevent parts-a-flying in the event the assembly has to be removed and repaired again.

The wife has a friend who heard I'm a flashlight nut and she owns 2 Mags that wouldn't light. It turns out they both needed bulbs. I stuck a modern bi-pin 3 cell in her 3D and a nice WhiteStar in the 2C. An elderly lady whose husband recently passed and he kept those old lights from the 90's looking and working like new. So when the 2C flickered or turned off when changing beam shape I had to solve that... just had to.

Turns out the contact strip between the switch and bulb fastener was dirty in spots and when the bulb assembly moved up or down contact was broken. (Mag reccomended buying a new asssembly or send the light to them so the lady asked my wife if I'd fix it.)

I donated a new poly ultraclear lens, a button cover and gave it a good cleaning/lube. The wife was instructed to tell the lady I owe her $10 for letting me disect her flashlight in my lab all afternoon.... and it was fun learning how disassemble/reassemble a 2C Maglite as that was the first time I had worked on their switch assembly. What took hours will take minutes next time...

Here's another basic how to thread. How to disassemble a Maglite D cell.
https://www.takeitapart.com/guide/50
This helped me get a stuck battery out tonight and get my 80's 2D going.
umpG3SG.jpg

Shown glowing with the formerly stuck Enercell

A few good whacks to a 3/8" x 8" long ratchet extension with a deep well (6pt) 19mm socket to the battery that was in upside down ⊙▁⊙ got that sucker out quickly.
Hyk8pL1.jpg

I soaked the barrel in warm water a few minutes and scraped off high spots of alkaleak gel from the wall. Then a paste of Bar Keepers Friend (an ajax type powder that is a mild acid I use to get baked on brake dust off alluminum wheels) was rubbed on in circular motions with a toothbrush clamped to vice grips and the walls were soon smooth as new (minus the anodizing at those areas.

I placed silicone grease on the retainer screw and the set screw as bond inhibitors just in case. (Learned that from bicycle seat posts and pedals.) Then I dremel'd a slight groove on the inside of the retainer ring so it would easily pass over that brass screw on the sliding bulb fastener.

I considered re-hab-ing the switch assembly but decided not to... not tonight anyway. Then I used my handy-dandy home made spanner wrench via two precision screwdrivers clamped to a needle nose vise grip at the proper spacing.
Later I will cut about 1/3 of a coil off of the spring so it won't be so dam hard to put the tailcap back on. Maybe 2/3 total...

Some ano is gone on the outside thanks to alkaleak-age but that was a boon. It spilled onto the outside instead of crawling all over the inside. None had reached the between the switch assembly housing and the inside wall of the barrel. That was a stroke of luck there.

Note: My switch assembly csme out of the bulb end of the light.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
For those who want to repair their Maglite from the 80's forward, knowing their neighbors, friends and relatives have learned you can fix their Maglite...
ylLASWy.jpg

Maglite refurbishing kit ASXX124

Comes with o-rings (for old and new; read on barrel or inside head), switch covers (cat and plain), switch assemblies (w/tools for old and new) reflectors, lenses and a spanner tool for your incan C and D sized relics. No springs though.
Lieo7wY.jpg

Prices vary, but can be found for about $45 and up with or without shipping cost.
Mine was $46 with 2 day shipped. Bought it Saturday evening, had it Tuesday.

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Where did ya get the kit from? I didn't know Mag had a new one out. $46 is a little steep, there's a few old service centers clearing out stuff on fleabay. A lot of this you can get from Maglite for free too with some effort. Seals and o-rings they'll usually send you for free if you legitimately need them and had them fail or wear out on a light. They won't send reflectors, switches, lenses and stuff like that though but there's better lenses and reflectors for sale elsewhere.

I've been using your 5D and it works great!! I've been working super long hours this week but I'm off Friday and I have a small fishing trip in the morning so I'll get it out in the afternoon.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
I did not mention it's like 9 each of some stuff, 6 of others and such.
GrJE0gz.jpg

I thought it a nice price for a lifetime supply of repair parts. And no "welp my switch broke, let me see if Mag will send me one" or "dratz my switch cover just split, maybe freeBay will get me one in a few days"...

Last edited:

LiftdT4R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Neat-o. If you got 3 old D switches and 3 new D switches you didn't do half bad because they are $8 a piece so you have $48 right there. Is this whole kit a standard Mag order or was it something someone made up or had leftover from an old service center?

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Neat-o. If you got 3 old D switches and 3 new D switches you didn't do half bad because they are $8 a piece so you have $48 right there. Is this whole kit a standard Mag order or was it something someone made up or had leftover from an old service center?

The panther logo on the packing tape caused me to think it's a Mag kit that was sold to service centers at one point.

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
Do the lights from the last 10 years or so have a different retaining ring? I swear mine does not have a nice bit 1/8" hole in it for a spanner wrench, just slots.