Maglite 2D to Astrolux S1

Candle_Kid

Newly Enlightened
i recently bought Fenix TK16 for tactical reasons. my older non-led 2D Maglite at home is bulky and upgrading to a real LED light does not seem ez or cheap. i have a maglite LED drop-in but output is kinda dismal. thinking about replacing my Maglite with Astrolux S1. is this a good swap? i already have 18650 batts (nitecore w/ nightcore D2 charger) from my Fenix investment, etc.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Astrolux is very very very good. You won't regret getting it. And you'll struggle to buy anything comparable for even double the money. If you want more info on them, Google or head over to BLF. The Astrolux was originally a group buy light conceived and designed by a group of enthusiasts. It was known then as the BLF X6.

I have two of them by the way and carry one most days.

Don't fully give up on the old Mag. They can still have a place. But they will always be big and heavy by comparison. It would make an interesting host for modding should you get into the flashlight hobby.

Candle_Kid

Newly Enlightened
Don't fully give up on the old Mag. They can still have a place. But they will always be big and heavy by comparison. It would make an interesting host for modding should you get into the flashlight hobby.

my idea for the 2D Mag was to use one D size Lithium with a dummy D cell, along with some sort of better LED drop-in. but for that pricing i could be into two S1's.

i did order a S1, to replace my Mag for now, and to compare against my TK16.

brted

Enlightened
Astrolux S1 is equivalent to the BLF A6, a compact 18650 light. The Astrolux S2 is equivalent to the BLF X6, an 18650 thrower with a bigger reflector and a lighted tailcap. I have the BLF A6 and it is an impressive light.

Chicken Drumstick

Flashlight Enthusiast
Oops might have got my S numbers mixed up. All of the lights are great I have a BLF A6 too. But tube lights are more flooder than throwers. If you want to light stuff up at distance you'll need something a bit bigger.