Maglite durability, old vs new.

GasganoFJ60

Newly Enlightened
Yes it is possible to restore a Mag back to working order. It may not be pristine, at least not in the cosmetic aspect, but it will be functional. Some vinegar soaking and backing soda scrubbing will be needed to clean and neutralize the acid. If the cells are stuck, as I've done with other lights, I use a small to medium sized hammer and a wooden dowel of appropriate size to hammer on to push the cell out. All parts are available from various dealers. I think most are still available from Maglite.

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
What I'm going to ask....I'm not sure if this is even possible. I'm search for an older mini Maglite and believe that there is a good chance it will be corroded inside.

• If it is corroded, is there a way to bring it back to life by disassembling and soaking some parts in white vinegar (or something similar)?
  • If corroded, can I replace internals with new parts or can I swap out all the internals entirely?

Just really trying to understand what I might need to do once I get this mini Maglite. I'd like to get it in perfect condition, or at least be able to make it as close as possible.

All comments and suggestions welcome!

Best,

Michael

Just about anything is doable, but it becomes a question of "is it worth doing?" If the corrosion is minimal and you don't need to replace major components than yes, if the batteries a stuck in inside and everything is heavily corroded, than probably no, unless you are doing it as a challenge or the light has a lot of sentimental value. Keep in mind that most of the name brand battery companies will repair or replace devices damaged when their batteries leak (assuming that you can get at least one of the batteries out to show what brand it is).

mbyormark

Newly Enlightened
Very good to know, thanks for the info. Very much appreciated. Once I get the minimag in hand, I'll have to do an before and after.

Best,

Michael

Yes it is possible to restore a Mag back to working order. It may not be pristine, at least not in the cosmetic aspect, but it will be functional. Some vinegar soaking and backing soda scrubbing will be needed to clean and neutralize the acid. If the cells are stuck, as I've done with other lights, I use a small to medium sized hammer and a wooden dowel of appropriate size to hammer on to push the cell out. All parts are available from various dealers. I think most are still available from Maglite.

mbyormark

Newly Enlightened
The one I'm searching for was limited production and apparently pretty well sought after by a few types of collectors. I'm trying to complete a collection (this being a smaller, but still important aspect). I also like challenges :p

And I had no idea about the battery companies repairing or replacing, not for this one but in the future, that a great tip!

Thanks!

-Michael

Just about anything is doable, but it becomes a question of "is it worth doing?" If the corrosion is minimal and you don't need to replace major components than yes, if the batteries a stuck in inside and everything is heavily corroded, than probably no, unless you are doing it as a challenge or the light has a lot of sentimental value. Keep in mind that most of the name brand battery companies will repair or replace devices damaged when their batteries leak (assuming that you can get at least one of the batteries out to show what brand it is).