Maglite ML150LR Closer To Release

County

Newly Enlightened
Has anybody else gotten one of these? Any opinions?

Thinking of buying this or the new "S" version as an around the house flashlight for the family.

I have one! I like it a lot. It's hard for me to see much brightness difference between the S version and the original unless I shine the light at a very distant object. . football field or more away. Tint is cool like the original. . but I am ok with that. This will be a great around-the-house, and walk light.

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Thank you

I agree on the lumen difference being negligible
I think the main selling point of the S is its portability for use on duty belts

For a home flashlight, I don't think the portability is a big deal
and it has a shorter run time which I think makes the regular ML150LR a better choice for the home

Although the portability does have a coolness factor to it
i think it looks better too, more balanced

County

Newly Enlightened
Thank you

I agree on the lumen difference being negligible
I think the main selling point of the S is its portability for use on duty belts

For a home flashlight, I don't think the portability is a big deal
and it has a shorter run time which I think makes the regular ML150LR a better choice for the home

Although the portability does have a coolness factor to it
i think it looks better too, more balanced

Yes I agree . . it's an easier holster carry with the shorter version, tried that out on a walk earlier this week.

The weight decrease is noticeable and anymore I'm getting spoiled by these smaller lights . . no matter the task I seem to prefer lights of this size or smaller.

Anyhow, it's an easier pocket carry also, as you might imagine since it seems to sink nicely into a back pocket without worry of a fish-flop out !

And oh those mag-charge-rings are a nostalgic status symbol in my book!

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Yeah, I've experienced trying to keep a 3D maglite in a backpocket... does not work too well

Thanks for the opinion. Now I don't know if I want the shorter or longer version :laughing:

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I just ordered the new ML150LRS from the maglite website

$90 with a 20% off coupon easily found online ;)

Last edited:

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
I received the ML150LRS

Initial impressions are very good:

Quality is typical Maglite

Charge time is very quick

The high mode, advertised at 819 lumens, seems accurate
More than bright enough for around the house duty

Med (139 lm) and low (33 lm) settings are very useful
Im leaving it at the stock programming. Strobe, momentary, and SOS are programmable.

The smaller form factor is very nice. It's pocketable and has a small footprint in its charging cradle

I think this one is a big win for Maglite. I hope they keep improving. It's high time they update the Mag Tac!

Last edited:

maglite mike

Enlightened
I received the ML150LRS

Initial impressions are very good:

Quality is typical Maglite

Charge time is very quick

The high mode, advertised at 819 lumens, seems accurate
More than bright enough for around the house duty

Med (139 lm) and low (33 lm) settings are very useful
Im leaving it at the stock programming. Strobe, momentary, and SOS are programmable.

The smaller form factor is very nice. It's pocketable and has a small footprint in its charging cradle

I think this one is a big win for Maglite. I hope they keep improving. It's high time they update the Mag Tac!

There is a new mag-tac II in the works

https://www.womenandguns.com/mag-tac-ii-tactical-flashlight-review/

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Mag-Mail arrived today. Mrs Fixer paid Santa-Mag to send me the ML150 LR and LRS. Well naturally I had to open the box and 'ensure' everything checks out. And while she was distracted I took a minute to try each one out for a few seconds.
Impressive.

Think old school Maglite hot spot with 800 lumens instead of 60 like a 3D firing a xenon bulb. I snapped a photo and boxed back up the LRS. I took a photo with the LR but thought I heard Mrs Fixer approaching so the photo turned out blurry. To say they will ID items at a 2 football field distance would not be untrue. Yet there is plenty of spill too.

I'll say more Christmas day once I can charge them the minimum 6 hour initial charge. But both are sweet little 2 and 3 cell ML 50 sized lights with a impressive output.

D4-BBB3-B6-8-C82-4-E33-BF25-821-A848-CE8-D2.jpg

The LRS on high.
The house with the white van in the photo is at least 600 feet away.

232807-DC-43-C1-43-A8-8025-C1-CB3536-BA31.jpg

Before

ML150LR pix edit:

8-E5810-D5-5-AB2-4-E8-A-9-FF1-D0993-A5026-AF.jpg

Compared to; L to R
-16oz ceranic lined cup, ML150LR, ML300 3 cell, ML25 3 cell, Streamlight Stinger LED, 8 oz coffee cup

7-BBE68-AC-A638-4474-A601-95-BB933-FD2-E5.jpg

The swing set way off in the distance is a dark color about 400 feet away

I ran it a few minutes to see if heat radiated and where. In about a minute the area between the switch and about 1/3 down the head became warm. Definite heat sink technology involved. Twisting from spot to flood only widens the spot. No real change occurs with spill like zoomy lights do. Instead you get the traditional Maglite style changes. I do not see any blue, red, green or yellow in the beam. Just intense whiteness like Streamlight C4 a few years back.
End edit.

Last edited:

lumen aeternum

Enlightened
> Compared to; L to R
-16oz ceranic lined cup, ML150LR, ML300 3 cell, ML25 3 cell, Streamlight Stinger LED, 8 oz coffee cup
>
Do you happen to know the lumen outputs for these? And retail cost? Would make a useful chart. And they are all C size (diameter), right?

I really want to buy something during the sale... But I recently got a ton of Mag stuff so don't have a good excuse.
And the previous generation rechargable "50" is still on clearance for $50 bucks...

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ceramic lined cup was a prize in a raffle so I don't know the price but it isn't very bright after dark. The ML150LR is stated at 1008 (or similar) lumens and goes for $120 at Maglite's site. The ML50 3 cell is the 611 lumen version from a Wal Mart $25 clearance price. The 3 cell ML25 is (iirc) 173 lumens (but like 28k candella) and was $23 from Home Depot iirc. The Stinger is the 375 lumen version called "LED" and was $110 with a charger from a place called Batteries Plus Bulbs. The coffee cup isn't very bright after dark either. Mrs Fixer bought a batch of 24 for like $1 each and did the saying on it with her coffee cup sublimation iron.

3667-E44-D-35-E9-42-BE-A11-C-EE9-BB767-AF17.jpg

The coffee cup in the photo was actually the prototype that I accidently applied the sublimation on upside down.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
The ML150LRSX arrived today.

I cannot definitively say it is or isn't hard annodized like LX models but it had that same, almost chalky like residue on it like the LX does when brand new.

064-BCDA6-5-B41-4102-B26-B-1-F018-A4-A654-F.jpg

The difference in 'shine'.
If I were to use this for special forces, life or death I'd probably find even the matte finish a bit too shiney and spray it with flat black paint before going out (if time allowed). A young marine was playing with my matte finish prototype PRX and he said even though it was already pretty dull he'd shoot it with flat black grill paint before taking it with him to weed out "the Mooj" during urban raids over in Iraq. He said they'd spray paint their rifles and other gear with flat paint if they knew in advance of operations to give it time to cure and allow the smell to disipate.
Since I don't have to kick in doors in combat or duck if a perp sees a slight glimmer of the body of my flashlight I'll enjoy the matte finish as is while my biggest fear would be forgetting dooky bags when using it while walking Fido around.

B696-BA13-13-E5-4-EF5-AC2-C-948-B76-CF1554.jpg

S/N number 00000144
I lucked up and got a fairly low serial number.

Last edited:

Former_Mag_User

Enlightened
Its such a great all-purpose light. You got me wanting the X version now.

It looks more satin rather than matte now that you mention it