Maglite Solitaire - Incandescent - Do you still use them?

GotMak

Newly Enlightened
I put a low-voltage red LED in a Solitaire along with an energizer Lithium AAA. I didn't take pictures (Couldn't take pictures) of the dim glow that resulted.

There is an impressive lux-to-lumen ratio in a stock Mag Lite Solitaire. Of course, anything-to-2 can be a high ratio...

Funny you should mention this, because that's exactly what I'm considering doing - a straight swap of the incan bulb for a 1.5v red LED like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Red-LED...ee-Shipping-Ships-Same-Next-Day-/141032666581

I want a light to use that won't mess up my night vision, or disturb others, like when you drop something or need to rummage in your EDC kit in a movie theater, etc. I already carry a StreamLight Nano, but that's way too bright for some applications. Sometimes you just want to fly under the radar...

How practical was that in your estimation?

bladerunner

Newly Enlightened
The original low lumen light. Way ahead of it's time! I just found mine about a week ago and went through it. Did everything I could and it is dim/yellow/pitiful. It works, but I can't EDC or even loan it to someone. I really do like maglites, but not this one.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Funny you should mention this, because that's exactly what I'm considering doing - a straight swap of the incan bulb for a 1.5v red LED like these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/10x-Red-LED...ee-Shipping-Ships-Same-Next-Day-/141032666581

You will need to widen the reflector hole with a 5mm LED. Search for Agilent or Everlight 3mm 45 degrees LED. Minimum forward voltage is 1.5V which gets around 10mA to the LED. You get about 20mA at 1.9V but I actually run one using two 1/2 AAA NiMH batteries. It's probably a bit too bright on two 1/2 AAA's.

I also have a 3mm warm white flat top scavenged from some Christmas lights and 3x 1/3 AAA NiMH. No specs on it but it ran with just 2 1/2 AAA's albeit not that bright.

GotMak

Newly Enlightened
You will need to widen the reflector hole with a 5mm LED. Search for Agilent or Everlight 3mm 45 degrees LED. Minimum forward voltage is 1.5V which gets around 10mA to the LED. You get about 20mA at 1.9V but I actually run one using two 1/2 AAA NiMH batteries. It's probably a bit too bright on two 1/2 AAA's.

I also have a 3mm warm white flat top scavenged from some Christmas lights and 3x 1/3 AAA NiMH. No specs on it but it ran with just 2 1/2 AAA's albeit not that bright.

How did the 1.5 v LED do on just the standard AAA battery? I'm trying to avoid going with anything more exotic than a AAA for this.

Dark Laser

Newly Enlightened
@GotMak:
Not exactly what you were searching for, but I think this Solitaire mod is worth mentioning: Link
It can go lower in output; and even though I am not sure this driver will work for a red LED (since it is boost), I am confident that there are suitable drivers too.

Lynx_Arc

Flashaholic
I once thought my decommissioned solitaire would be good to put matches in and would end up more useful in the amount of light put out by them :D

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
I still use Solitaires. They are a nice stealthy light that doesn't light up the entire room when you don't need or want it to. Everyone knows they are not meant to be pocket rockets.

Mr Floppy

Flashlight Enthusiast
How did the 1.5 v LED do on just the standard AAA battery? I'm trying to avoid going with anything more exotic than a AAA for this.

It's OK but once the AAA drops under 1.5V, it will become a faint glow until, well pretty much no light really. Really, if you want to use a standard battery, you need an infrared LED, forward voltage is about 1.25V but that will depend on what you get (e.g. out of your old TV remote). Output will probably be enough for you to take "night" images from some digital/web cameras at close range.

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast
I cringe every time I see an incan solitaire thread, because I know what's coming when someone mentions they occasionally enjoy using one for whatever reason. Strict zero tolerance policy on solitaire appreciation!

Monocrom

Flashaholic
I cringe every time I see an incan solitaire thread, because I know what's coming when someone mentions they occasionally enjoy using one for whatever reason. Strict zero tolerance policy on solitaire appreciation!

What's to appreciate? Honestly, a lit kitchen-match puts out more output than a M@glite Solitaire.... literally.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
They already make an LED Solitaire for awhile now. And people have inserted 3mm LEDs and run them direct drive. But why are we talking about LED's?

N_N_R

Enlightened
I'm more and more thinking of buying an incandescent one.

I find the moonlight mode of my i3s useful when at night I need to change the TV channel or look at sth not wanting to disturb the other people in the room. However, it's accessible only after twisting through the the other modes twice and I have to either cover them with my hand or going to the moonlight mode would be pointless.

And right now I don't really want to spend money on sth more expensive.

I've been hesitating a lot whether not to buy the LED version, but they aren't sold in my country yet.... and recently I've had two purchases of US products from amazon and had trouble with both of them. So... right now I'm not that happy about another online purchase from abroad.

I even thought of buying an incandescent one and then buying also LEDs and upgrade it, but I've seen on YT vids that once you do this upgrade yourself, the head doesn't lie flat to where it's supposed to be i.e. it doesn't look that good.

ampdude

Flashlight Enthusiast
The incan ones are a pretty high quality USA made light for the $5 they charge. Only real downside of the Solitaire is the low output, but when you take that into consideration you realize they really are a nice little light that can accomplish a lot of tasks. Do you really always need a ton of light? Definitely not. Especially not when you are trying to be stealthy or not wake someone up or preserve your night vision to some extent. I think everyone should own at least a couple just for the fact that there aren't many other lights like them out there, especially not for the price/quality ratio the Solitaire has.

Last edited:

leon2245

Flashlight Enthusiast

I find the moonlight mode of my i3s useful when at night I need to change the TV channel or look at sth not wanting to disturb the other people in the room. However, it's accessible only after twisting through the the other modes twice and I have to either cover them with my hand or going to the moonlight mode would be pointless.

I've been hesitating a lot whether not to buy the LED version, but they aren't sold in my country yet.... and recently I've had two purchases of US products from amazon and had trouble with both of them. So... right now I'm not that happy about another online purchase from abroad.

I even thought of buying an incandescent one and then buying also LEDs and upgrade it, but I've seen on YT vids that once you do this upgrade yourself, the head doesn't lie flat to where it's supposed to be i.e. it doesn't look that good.

Although I get a kick out of those who can't stand anyone liking anything about the incan solitaire, even for $5 you still might be better off with one of those cheap flat keychain ultra low led's (forget the name) if a single mode e01 or something is too bright. Or something else that comes on low first. But yeah I don't like cycling through modes either. And sounds like the new led solitaire might be too bright for you, like an e05.

But if you want super dim and don't mind heavy beam artifacts that seem worse because of its lack of output, it's cheap enough to try for that purpose. I don't use it much, just appreciate that it's one of those rare tighten for off twisties, single mode, incan, made in usa etc. Just remains kind of a faux pas around here, to use under any circumstances for some reason.

PCC

Flashlight Enthusiast

The ThruNite Ti was offered in a version that was twist for moonlight then twist some more for high. Some of us have modified ours by placing a small bit of non conducting material between the low and high contacts to allow only low mode. If you could use something like this then PM me and I'll give you mine. Mind you, mine was the subject of a torture test so it's all beat up and it cannot go to high mode at all because someone took it apart and disabled that function before I got it.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
They already make an LED Solitaire for awhile now. And people have inserted 3mm LEDs and run them direct drive. But why are we talking about LED's?

Excellent point. It's the Incandescent forum.

There have been some truly wonderful lights over the years that functioned off of inca. bulbs. But the stock Solitaire definitely is not one of them.

TEM53

Newly Enlightened
I purchased a lower powered module from this seller and was very satisfied with the results. It was a big improvement over the incandescent bulb and was a drop-in replacement. (In reference to the post from kmacas.)

Last edited:

N_N_R

Enlightened
Oh, s***, I may just try my luck and order the LED version..... but where does my low mode go. lol.