Maglite Twins - Build thread. Kind of a short build thread...

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
I really wasn't going to bother, since there is nothing really new about a Maglite build, except for the driver, which is new to me and the first I have tried.
I7ZHi5.jpg

The red one is a 2D LED and the Purple, (which looks blue), is a 2D Incandescent. Both have file work done on them. Nothing really new here.

uj0pCv.jpg

The incan will have a short reflector, that came from CNQG, nothing really new there.

k5shN6.jpg

The LED light will have the stock LED reflector, nothing at all new there.

K6SF4J.jpg

Both of them will have aluminum heat sinks, with a copper wrap, to keep them tight in the body, nothing new there either.

pjdDAx.jpg

Both of them use C mag springs with copper braid and a top cap of a copper disc, so I can get 2x26650 or 2x18650 batteries in them. Nothing new.

Uf4Y2O.jpg

The stock switch has the guts taken out, so I can run the positive straight through and use a momentary in place, where the stock pushbutton was. Nothing new here.

IzJhiO.jpg

Well, finally something different. This driver board was designed by Mattaus, so I could use a linear driver that fit in Maglites and I could use it based on the NANJG drivers, but I can go up to 9 amps, (or more if you stack) and I can do either normal leds like the XM-L2 or I can do MT-G2, by just using a zener diode and 200 ohm resistor. It's fairly versatile. At least I think so.
Qrj335.jpg

That's all I really wanted to show you guys. I thought you might be interested in a driver that fits in the Maglite D tube and can be used with 3.--V or 6V leds. Of course, it needs an MCU with a good program and that's where DrJones comes in. He burned his lumodrv program onto some ATiny13a MCUs for me and I used them on these drivers. RMM provided the other resistors and diodes and Fasttech was the source of the 7135 chips.
These first boards are using 0603 components, but future boards will have the 0805 pads. I intend to make nothing but Maglites from now on, unless the weather changes.
smiley-tongue-out.gif
So, I wanted a driver that was easy for me and something that was adaptable to XP-L, XM-L2, MT-G2, even 3-ups and I think this one will work well for me. It can be driven with as many 7135 chips as you want, up to 9 amps. Above 9 amps, you would need to stack chips.

I have added the links, so that you can find out the info you need and you might want to try some of these boards too.

jonwkng

Flashlight Enthusiast
Wow, x24 7135s before stacking... That is a pretty sight.
Thanks for sharing the details of the driver, Old-Lumens! Looks like a terrific starting point for new Mag mods. :thumbsup:

Norm

Retired Administrator
As always with your builds OL, looking very good, be interesting to see how that driver goes. :goodjob:

Norm

Old-Lumens

Newly Enlightened
K1znBc.jpg

ERljUW.jpg

Not much left to say. everything is wired up and it all works, so it's just a matter of sliding it all in and it's ready to go. I used 18ga wire. I drilled for a set screw through the body and into the heat sink. I added a ground screw on the heat sink and I am using both the stock ground in the switch and the one on the heat sink. The MT-G2 leds are screwed down to the heat sinks.

Beam shots tomorrow night.

Last edited: