Malkoff MDC - The “Poor Man's Haiku” - Another Ideal EDC

nbp

Flashaholic
+ 1. The MDC is a killer little light. For the price I don't think you can match the quality from any other manufacturers.

worrptangl

Newly Enlightened
I've loved the Haiku since I first got to hold one, and I have been on a search for a quality light a similar pedigree. Well I think I found my gateway drug. Should be hear Monday!

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Bump! 🙈

Over the years I have had 1 MDC. It was a second hand old body style 1aa that came with a VME and M31w. So it put out about the same brightness as the AA on high. I later acquired the 1aa MDCN front end that had originally come with it. When the previous owner asked for it back I reluctantly obliged, but kept the MDC front end that started on about 3 lumens. It had a stainless bezel and glass lens.

The front end was coupled to my poor man's Malkoff, a Klarus P1A that had a Gene Malkoff type hi/lo switch. It was great but if the tailcap loosened any tiny bit the light would cut off.

For whatever reason I wanted to use that MDCN 1aa on a regular basis. See, I really like the 3 lumen start up. So I bought a new version 1aa body. Boy am I glad I did. The Klarus went from a table top instructions brightener to a daily carry number. The rubber o'ring adds leverage when pulling the body toward my thumb to aid in clicking the switch.
60BE2BD5-7798-46C2-91CD-CA6C8F8CDBFA.jpeg

Here is the 1aa MDC left of the Klarus
No issue with the tailcap twist with the MDC and the front end is firm enough not to loosen unintentionally. Mechanical switch means no parasitic drain. 👍

And also over the years I've bought several versions of M61's. Most went into hosts but I had this one M361 219c 3000k from a group buy laying around. So an MDC 1x 123 body and a VME were acquired. The VME threads all the way down with drop in btw. The thinking there is a modular number able to use an M31W with a CR123 or the M361 with an RCR. Or one of the M614L numbers for on/off simplicity putting out a very useable amount of light.

Now for a few years I've carried a tiny PKDL PR-1 inside my trouser pocket. But I use it on low mostly. It starts on high. Well, the M361w starts with pretty much the same output as that PR-1 on low. The MDC 1x123 front end starts on 3. The 361w at 20. Hence the 361w preference. It doesn't disappear into my trouser pocket like the PR-1 though. Still, it's pretty small.
E0C5A8F4-EE1F-4EFD-8282-A0D02E8D4D9A.jpeg

The tiny PR-1 left of the MDC123

So now my pockets have a PKDL PR-1 and PL-2 riding inside with a pair of MDC lights clipped to the top.

I didn't think I'd like the new body style as it looks just as slippery as the old kind. But yes, there's a vast improvement in grip without it snagging on the way in/out of a carrying vessel. And the tailcap no longer protrudes above the tail end. Yay.

They both the 1aa and M361w reportedly use PWM but when aimed at a moving fan blades I don't see it. Really. So unless one is super-duper sensitive to it that should not be an issue. I waved around a running shower recently and no disco effect was noted.

I waited a long time to acquire these and it was worth the wait. The only question in my mind is which one I like better. They're both awesome little flashlights.

Last edited:

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Sundrop XRU head on my Malkoff 1Xaa body and I like the new style. I also have o-rings like that on several of my lights, it makes it so much easier to grab the light.

Grijon

Flashlight Enthusiast
The original review was excellent when it was written, and is still outstanding today. I've come back and re-read it throughout the years, and just did again today after ordering my first MDC yesterday, a neutral 1xAA. I have lots of Malkoff products but never got around to an MDC, though it's always been at the back of my mind. Outside of a Haiku (which will probably never happen) this will be my most-anticipated light ever, and I thank @nbp and this community for that!

Last edited:

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
You definitely won't be disappointed. I use mine daily, and actually using it right now in bed. I believe the AA MDC has the best mode spacing out of them all. The low low is very useful for late at night when eyes are adapted to the dark.

doctorbrownbear

Newly Enlightened
You definitely won't be disappointed. I use mine daily, and actually using it right now in bed. I believe the AA MDC has the best mode spacing out of them all. The low low is very useful for late at night when eyes are adapted to the dark.
Agreed, the spacing is perfect. My only issue with it was the low-low was so low that in daylight I could shine it directly in my eyes and couldn't tell if it was on. Would end up accidentally leaving it on for hours/days. I would never carry it because i was worried about the battery being drained. Someone else on here recommended the olight 2.4v "14500". It just barely seems to increase the low-low to ~1 lumen, just enough for me to tell that it's on. Now I carry it all the time.

The 2.4v is definitely against malkoff recommendations but stays below the max 3.3v warning. Annoyingly the 2.4v battery only works with the malkoff AA. Doesn't work with my other 14500/AA lights.

Edit: Of the lights i own the olight 2.4v only works with my malkoff AA. There may be lights other than the olight/malkoff it. Anyone else find a light it works with?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
The original review was excellent when it was written, and is still outstanding today. I've come back and re-read it throughout the years, and just did again today after ordering my first MDC yesterday, a neutral 1xAA. I have lots of Malkoff products but never got around to an MDC, though it's always been at the back of my mind. Outside of a Haiku (which will probably never happen) this will be my most-anticipated light ever, and I thank @nbp and this community for that!

Thanks for the kind words! I ought to go back a re-read it myself, as it has been so long. haha. Funny enough, I no longer have any MDCs but I still have two Haikus. I wouldn't mind to have an MDC again though. It is hard to get excited about so many of the mass production lights coming out anymore, and returning to some of the classics might be just what I need.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Thanks for the kind words! I ought to go back a re-read it myself, as it has been so long. haha. Funny enough, I no longer have any MDCs but I still have two Haikus. I wouldn't mind to have an MDC again though. It is hard to get excited about so many of the mass production lights coming out anymore, and returning to some of the classics might be just what I need.
If you choose to buy another one the newer body style is much easier to hold onto. Notice I didn't say "grippy".

IMG_4745.jpeg

The breakaway Elzetta lanyard got snagged on something and broke away so it was replaced today.
VME on this 1x123 MDC using a group buy M361w fueled by an Elzetta RCR. Additional grip assist is a #10 plumber o'ring.

About 2 years of daily carry and the body coating is still flawless. The clip shows a little wear at corners and the screws some wear from changing out lanyards. These are very nice little flashlights.