The new Malkoff M61SHO

NH Lumens

Enlightened
This is where my M61HOT v.2 lives;

md2-m61hot-4.jpg

Size specs;

AOL = 4-11/16" (4-7/8" with switch boot projection)
Weight = 7.6 ounces with 18650 H-IMR flat top cell

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
You can only shrink it so much without becoming absurd. Not that I disapprove.

I got one of these tiny MDCs though I totally forgot what kind of lumens it generates.

I got totally too many Malkoff lights (when you can't list them all) and it's not even close to top tier here.

Last edited:

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
Hyper throw. Learning a new thing every day and it's a rare among the rares, and you need special LiFePO4 cells for it. *sigh*

But it shines. A perfect example of why lux is more important than lumens. Only 325 lumens but higher lux than M61T.

The Lux at 1 meter is approximately 23,000. It is an outstanding medium to long range spotter. The output is approximately 325 measured out the front lumens.

Oh it's a great head. You don't have to use the LiFePO4 cells though, it works great with a cr123 giving full output for around 45 minutes before tapering down.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I would be fine for the rest of my life if I never purchased another Malkoff module (or any other module) ever.

Pretty confident my Hound Dogs, et all will outlive me. Indestructible stuff. I am totally oversaturated.

I think I will buy another module when there is a quantum leap of some kind. Much like what we had in 2007 time frame. When we moved from incans to LEDs and a few minor leaps when lumens went up an order of magnitude.
But for the last 5 or so years? Nothing earth-moving. My Hound Dogs are about 4-5 years old. Still run with the best of them.

I think the only thing I am interested in at this point is the move to 21mm bodies. And even then I want LEGO and removable tailcaps.

Back to the subject. Both SHO and HOT appear to be incremental efforts. But there really isn't a point in getting the regular M61, or even SHO has no advantages over HOT. All 3 of these vastly overlap in performance.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
Tightly packed and kicks a** on high!

Yes - relatively speaking in comparison to other MDx lights, and it serves its intended mission of nightstand light quite well. While it carries nicely in an EDCLB HBC, IMO it's still a bit heavy for regular EDC use.

A tale of the tape;

md2-m61hot-5.jpg

In the left corner we have;
  • Oveready E35 body with Oveready tailcap/McClicky and Malkoff grip ring
  • Bodyguard v.2 head
  • 1,100 lumens on high, 250 very usable lumens on low
  • AOL = 3-7/8" (4-1/16" with boot projection)
  • Weight = 3.4 ounces with 18350 1200mAh cell
  • Run time at 250 lumens = approximately 1.5 hours
In the right corner we have;
  1. MD2 body with LF twisty tailcap
  2. M61HOT v.2 head
  3. 740 lumens (650 measured) on high, 5 lumens on low
  4. AOL = 4-11/16" (4-7/8" with switch boot projection)
  5. Weight = 7.6 ounces with 18650 cell
At nearly twice the output, less than half the weight and a very usable 250 lumens on low with 1.5 hours of run time, it's a knock-out for the EDC title. I still carry the Oveready/BGv.2 in a EDCLB HBC to keep my pockets free for other stuff, but the light could ride in a pocket without me knowing it's there. At nearly a half-pound in weight, the Malkoff MD2/M61HOT feels like a brick in a pants pocket.

Another point to consider is the intended purpose of both these lights: to be held and controlled effectively in a syringe grip for use with the Rogers-Surefire technique;

syringegrip-2.jpg

Both lights work well for that purpose, and anything longer does not balance as well. The syringe grip has really become my preferred way to hold and control a hand held light, even for "ordinary" use. If the light is not set up for a syringe grip, and for longer/heavier lights, I resort to the classic ice pick grip.

If I feel the need to carry a larger, heavier light I'll drop something into the right-front zippered pocket of my Duluth Foreman's pants where it rides comfortably. But for my normal everyday needs, the bigger/heavier lights stay at home.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think one of the sub-compact Malkoff MDC lights, with 1x123 or 1xaa body is ideal to edc carry on a lanyard.

I tried, it works nicely. The light is always around you neck on a lanyard. When you do not need it, just release it. It's so fast and convenient. It's always there. However, it has to be small. I think the MDC 1x123 qualifies.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
As usual per night walks I like to grab an incandescent of some kind, tonight it was an e2e with pretty fresh batts on an mn03.

It's not a fair comparison to the 61SHO but I still really like how a bulb does much with so little output due to the throw.

IMG_7827.jpeg
IMG_7826.jpeg

The 61sho does not have a nice tint or good cri, which I really don't love about it, but this is such a well performing drop in for the C2 size lights I can live with it. I can use my 16650's with no reduction in output and free lumens abound.

Megalamuffin

Enlightened
On the contrary the 61SHO looks depressing compared to the incan, not because of output, but due to the low cri green tinted cool white beam. The incan has a lovely warm glow and shows things in their true color.

Not trying to turn this into the incan forum, but at any rate the 61SHO rocks. I love the M61W but it's output does not nearly compare to the 61SHO.

RWT1405

Flashlight Enthusiast
On the contrary the 61SHO looks depressing compared to the incan, not because of output, but due to the low cri green tinted cool white beam. The incan has a lovely warm glow and shows things in their true color.

Not trying to turn this into the incan forum, but at any rate the 61SHO rocks. I love the M61W but it's output does not nearly compare to the 61SHO.

You forgot the words "for me" (for you) above.

Because that "lovely warm glow" does ME absolutely NO GOOD, when I can't find/see what I'm looking for, in comparison to what I can see with the 61SHO, in those pictures.

So, for "you" it may be better, but for ME it is not.

Now, having said that, at the time Incans ruled the flashlight world/availability, the E2e was a marvelous flashlight, however, those days have passed.

With the availability of "warm and neutral" LED's, with darn good cri, I (me, myself).

I cannot imagine any situation that I would consider an Ican, as superior, to a quality LED.

25 years ago, Incans ruled my world, now, not so much.

But again, as always.......

I use my flashlights for work, NOT to play with.