Malkoff Hound Dog MD4 is the most impressive Malkoff light

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have several, one with just over 1000 lumens, the other one neutral. Of the entire Malkoff family, it's the most impressive one. I am addressing this to those without a Malkoff. If you have any doubts, just get one. If you can only afford one Malkoff, this it. If I had to keep just one light, this would be it without a doubt.

The Hound Dog is the gold standard of all lights. Malkoff and otherwise.

The tint is very nice. Both neutral and regular. It's not nasty white.
The lux is very high at 45K but it has enough spill that it can be used as an EDC. It's beam
The lumens are around 1000 but the aforementioned lux makes it look much brighter than it really is. It both throws and also spills, its beam pattern is not like a laser (Not like nearly useless D-Maglite beam).
The run time is around 2 hours on two 18650 cells.
It's low mode is so bright that I run mine 90% of the time on low, given high lux, the low appears to be brighter than it is really is.
So it's very powerful and it throws these 1000 lumens very capably far away. It out-throws everything else Malkoff has except for the Hound Dog Super.
Maglite sells a belt carrier for C-Maglite which fits the Hound Dog perfectly.

GAsrFWV.jpg

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I have something like this. Except the leather variant. I like the Mag Flashlight Holder Ring as it flexes and then disappears if not used.

Dicaeopolis

Enlightened
I have several, one with just over 1000 lumens, the other one neutral. Of the entire Malkoff family, it's the most impressive one. I am addressing this to those without a Malkoff. If you have any doubts, just get one. If you can only afford one Malkoff, this it. If I had to keep just one light, this would be it without a doubt.

The Hound Dog is the gold standard of all lights. Malkoff and otherwise.

The tint is very nice. Both neutral and regular. It's not nasty white.
The lux is very high at 45K but it has enough spill that it can be used as an EDC. It's beam
The lumens are around 1000 but the aforementioned lux makes it look much brighter than it really is. It both throws and also spills, its beam pattern is not like a laser (Not like nearly useless D-Maglite beam).
The run time is around 2 hours on two 18650 cells.
It's low mode is so bright that I run mine 90% of the time on low, given high lux, the low appears to be brighter than it is really is.
So it's very powerful and it throws these 1000 lumens very capably far away. It out-throws everything else Malkoff has except for the Hound Dog Super.
Maglite sells a belt carrier for C-Maglite which fits the Hound Dog perfectly.

View attachment 48131
Do you prefer the newer TRI Hound Dog or the older reflector version? I have an older reflector in cool and a newer neutral in warm. The newer version will work on a MD2 body producing lower lumens as well as MD3 and MD4.

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
I am only familiar with the older reflector version. It works as well as anything, and better. Anything newer is just a solution in search of a problem.

I have two Dogs, one neutral, the other regular, both are just fine. I prefer the regular I think for a bit more lumens as its tint is not terrible, but the neutral is also very fine.

The consumption is so high that it needs 2x18650 for reasonable runtime.

ilikeguns40

Flashlight Enthusiast
This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is a "turn key"

I see some of the lights are labeled as turnkeys on Malkoffs website. Does it mean it's a complete light that's ready to use? If so, then why are only some lights labeled as such, and other lights come ready to go but are not labeled as turnkeys? I'm confused

Last edited:
This may be a stupid question, but what exactly is a "turn key"

I see some of the lights are labeled as turnkeys on Malkoffs website. Does it mean it's a complete light that's ready to use? If so, then why are only some lights labeled as such, and other lights come ready to go but are not labeled as turnkeys? I'm confused
At least for Malkoff, it looks like the turn key sets have a complete light, batteries, and battery charger. Meaning once that set is purchased, there are no other components needed.

In the context of the last few comments, it seems "turn key" means just a complete light.