Malkoff Hound Dog MD4 is the most impressive Malkoff light

NH Lumens

Enlightened
The two most impressive Malkoffs: E2 Super, E1 Hyper Throw

I've have the E2 Super, it's an excellent head. However, the Bodyguard v.2 rated output of 1,150 lumens is clearly evident vs. the E2S, which I measure at about 850 lumens. The BGV2 also "out throws" the E2S by a considerable margin. The 250 lumen step-down rating of the BGV2 is superbly useful for many applications and extends run time to over two hours on a 1200mAh 18350 cell. The smooth, ring-free beam patterns of the E2S and BGV2 are identical, the latter is just brighter.

I have the E2HT and it too is an excellent head and outstanding performer for its form factor. However, the now defunct E2XTD had double the candela and 650 lumens vs. the E2HT's 500 lumens, so its higher price and larger form factor were an acceptable trade-off. Truly a shame that the E2XTD was discontinued.

EDC092723.jpg

That said, I think the E2HT is now the best option for a "pocket thrower." The current E2XT has higher candela, but the same lumen rating as the E2HT, so its edge in real-world performance is marginal. Considering the 43% increase in price and the larger form factor of the E2XT, I think the E2HT is the better value.

E2-HT-18350-2.jpg

I have no experience with any of the E1 heads as their incompatibility with a 4.2v Li-ion cell make them a non-starter for me. To the best of my knowledge, only the BGV1 can accept either a single CR123 or a Li-ion cell.

As far as the Hound Dogs, they're BIG flashlights. They kind of remind me of all the hubbub when Maglite first hit the scene with their big-honkin' metal tube lights that could be used as a baseball bat. The Hound Dog 18650 versions have somewhat addressed the size issue, but other than the high-low bezel switch, I'm still not convinced the increase in bulk and weight is worth the squeeze over what can be assembled using the various E2 heads.

I have a few Hound Dogs myself and feel the pride of ownership, but mostly admire them sitting on the bedroom dresser (and I'm OK with that).

hdsuper-4.jpg

md3-xpl-1.jpg

kerneldrop

Flashlight Enthusiast
@NH Lumens - very nice write up. I should look into the E2HT. I have the E2XTD, but I'd prefer the smaller form factor of the E2HT.

I'd say the E2XTD is best served as a WML since the head is considerably larger than an MDX head

I had a bodyguard v1 and traded it for a Boss E head. I guess I regret that trade because I didn't keep the Boss E head long.

Last edited:

etc

Flashlight Enthusiast
No, the super outclasses the regular Dog by a lot.

With that being said, I love the neutral dog XP-L.
The Super has a very narrow envelope of performance. It works best outside and only with some distance. Not something you want
looking at your engine block. It does what it does best, and it's the ultimate Malkoff Device. If I had to keep just one, it would probably be the Super.
Mine is modded to 3x18650. MD6 you might call it.

however the regular Hound Dog, the MD4 model I've used much more - it's a much better all purpose light. Smaller than MD6 (in my case) and less throw, a bit more palatable indoors. They are all beasts.

Lips

Flashlight Enthusiast

I asked Gene about making a Super Hound Dog to run on a 21700 about 10 days ago...

Response:
The current Hound Dog Super will run at a lower output on a single 21700. The problem with high output single cell is implementing reverse polarity protection. A small enough Mosfet with high current capability and extra low turn on V is hard to find.

NH Lumens

Enlightened
I'd say the E2XTD is best served as a WML since the head is considerably larger than an MDX head
I assume you mean the MDC head - the E2XT heads are the same OD as the MDx heads (about 1.23 inches). Nonetheless, a light with a standard MDC head (about 1-inch OD) is easier to carry.

FYI, I carry my E2XTD Lego all the time in a belt carrier. This Lego has undergone some refinement over the last year or so, and is now exactly how I want it. It is intended for use with a syringe grip and the Rogers-Surefire technique when used with a pistol. For this use, I have yet to find anything better.

The latest iteration below uses a Malkoff grip ring with the LF Z14/Z31 tailcap set up for momentary operation only. I also carry an upgraded Tactician in a pants pocket for general illumination purposes;

EDC092723.jpg

HBC-1.jpg

md17

Newly Enlightened
I've have the E2 Super, it's an excellent head. However, the Bodyguard v.2 rated output of 1,150 lumens is clearly evident vs. the E2S, which I measure at about 850 lumens. The BGV2 also "out throws" the E2S by a considerable margin. The 250 lumen step-down rating of the BGV2 is superbly useful for many applications and extends run time to over two hours on a 1200mAh 18350 cell. The smooth, ring-free beam patterns of the E2S and BGV2 are identical, the latter is just brighter.

I have the E2HT and it too is an excellent head and outstanding performer for its form factor. However, the now defunct E2XTD had double the candela and 650 lumens vs. the E2HT's 500 lumens, so its higher price and larger form factor were an acceptable trade-off. Truly a shame that the E2XTD was discontinued.

View attachment 50254

That said, I think the E2HT is now the best option for a "pocket thrower." The current E2XT has higher candela, but the same lumen rating as the E2HT, so its edge in real-world performance is marginal. Considering the 43% increase in price and the larger form factor of the E2XT, I think the E2HT is the better value.

View attachment 50255

I have no experience with any of the E1 heads as their incompatibility with a 4.2v Li-ion cell make them a non-starter for me. To the best of my knowledge, only the BGV1 can accept either a single CR123 or a Li-ion cell.

As far as the Hound Dogs, they're BIG flashlights. They kind of remind me of all the hubbub when Maglite first hit the scene with their big-honkin' metal tube lights that could be used as a baseball bat. The Hound Dog 18650 versions have somewhat addressed the size issue, but other than the high-low bezel switch, I'm still not convinced the increase in bulk and weight is worth the squeeze over what can be assembled using the various E2 heads.

I have a few Hound Dogs myself and feel the pride of ownership, but mostly admire them sitting on the bedroom dresser (and I'm OK with that).

View attachment 50256

View attachment 50257
Where would I get a lanyard and ring like on that super?