Malkoff vs p60vn??

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
For those who have both malkoff md2 and one of his drop ins with high low ring AND Vihn's bored p60 and his p60vn drop in, which is better and why??

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
Kind of an apples and oranges comparison, IMO. If I wanted a bomb proof light that I would bet my life on, I'd go Malkoff. If I wanted an overdriven insane bright hot rod P60, I'd go with Vinh.

ven

Flashaholic
Yes completely different , all depends on what use you have in mind really. Both awesome in their own right.....

What do you plan on using it for?

liteboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
yes, I think I realize they're different, even though many similarities (host, size, batteries, emitters, etc). I guess Im answering my own question then. I want a sturdy and reliable light that is also a wow light - incomprehensible brightness in a small package. However, Im not using the light in life or death circumstances. That said, under what circumstances would you carry
1. a Malkoff MD2
2. a Vihn 6P

ven

Flashaholic
From your description vinhs p60vn fits the bill, never had an issue with one of mine and had many drops. Never a flicker and its took many tumbles from 4ft or so.

With drivervnx2 you can pick your mode group to suit that aplication at that time. Yet (depending on choices) 2500- maybe 4000lm from a wall of light. P60vn with reflector then maybe 60kcd of throw, which is very impressive for the size! Many of vinhs drop ins are used by LEO's as wel....

I would carry both and use which ever as a back up or simply rotate them, I know it's cheating but that would be my choice. Malkoff is built around dependability and run times using a sensible output yet enough for duty uses. Vinh is for pushing the boundaries and putting a huge grin on your face......

Jose Marin

Enlightened
I recommend pflexpro.com for drop ins. Get the advance programable ones. They are potted, fully programable, fast pwm unlike malkoffs slow, direct drive just like vinh's and cheaper than vinh's.

jonnyfgroove

Enlightened
I recommend pflexpro.com for drop ins. Get the advance programable ones. They are potted, fully programable, fast pwm unlike malkoffs slow, direct drive just like vinh's and cheaper than vinh's.

+1 on pflexpro

Sounds like an overdriven P60 is what the OP is after and pflex is another top notch option. I have an XP-L neutral with the programmable driver, and it has been flawless. Well worth the cash.

Grizzman

Flashlight Enthusiast
From a quality perspective, the Malkoff is the obvious choice. They should both be adequately durable, as I've run both of them in 6Ps hanging off of a 12 gauge. The PFlexPro is pretty good and fully potted, including over the rear circuit board (if that's what's under the material).

I personally greatly prefer the Malkoff high/low ring over a standard multi-mode drop-in that requires going through output levels to reach other ones. I don't know if the output levels of the P60vn can be changed, or if the user only has the choice between different mode groups (100, 30, 1% or 1, 30, 100% or 1, 25, 75, 100% or single mode 100% etc).

If you want the output to far exceed 1000 lumens, then Malkoff isn't an option.

Last edited:

Jose Marin

Enlightened
Not sure, if youre worried about fitting issues i think for like an extra 10 bucks on top on the plfexpro drop in you can get a complete solarforce host. Very good deal imo

VNguyen

Enlightened
I only have a p60vn quad and a few el-cheapos but my brother is a malkoff junkie. He swear his malkoff are bomb proof but for me they are too conservative and vinh's drop in makes serious lumens. Should be a quad mule p60vn on the way to me any day now[emoji16]

ven

Flashaholic
Love mules ! Triple though, use it on 15% for work and quite frugal . After a days on/off use it rarely gets much bellow 3.8v . Sometimes left on for 30m or so under or on machinery.

P60vn quad xpl HI 5000k and CQvn quad xp-g2 5000k at home , very useful outputs that can be used for pretty much everything . From lighting up close up stuff to fields!

Very nice 4000k neutral malkoff ,

around 350lm iirc and always starts in low(3 mode). Ample output for 95%+ of my general uses and a nice floody beam with enough reach. I am pondering a host for this as the CQvn has kicked it out of my c2 and I have a nichia 219B triple in the 6p

Thats part of the p60 fun/flexibility , next week I might get fed up and swap around again which can happen quite often. Nice to have some variety and choices for different uses.

Niconical

Enlightened
+1 on pflexpro

+2

The Pflexpro dropins are solid, very well made.

Although the huge range of output options is great, what I like most is that one of the options can be high only. I use that most, but it's nice to know that with a few soft clicks I can change to L/M/H or whatever else I need.

Also, the guy who makes them is very helpful and meticulous in his work.

Talking about reliability of a dropin and the good character of the guy who makes it, I doubt we'll ever see on the forum the words "better than...." talking about Gene Malkoff/his dropins, but Pflexpro certainly merits "as good as....".

Dingle1911

Enlightened
Vihn makes good equipment. I have noted that because I have the ability to change the operating sequence on the light it may change at an unwanted time. Although this is rare and acceptable for my usage the Malkoff just works. It is not fancy and customizable, it just works exactly the same way every time. The Malkoff is more of a tool that does its job really well where the P60vn does more, but requires more from the user as well. I hope that statement makes sense.

I really like the Oveready programmable drop in because the operation can be changed, but cannot be changed accidentally.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
I think the primary pros of Malkoff M61 are:

1. Wide voltage range. Odds are if you can fit it inside the tube it will work. LOL!

2. Long run times due to a combo of DD and vampire taper.

3. Durability.

4. A wide range of tint options.

5. Nice beam for many applications.

6. Gene supports CPF and backs his product.

7. Malkoff junkie support. LOL!

8. Very low output options. LL, LLL.

However if very bright is the primary goal I would consider something else.

staticx57

Flashlight Enthusiast
Option C: VOB makes some nice drop ins as well and he is also here on the forums mostly XHP70 and MTG2

Option D: Vinh uses all off the shelf parts and you can build what he makes for a discount if you do it yourself.

peter yetman

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the primary pros of Malkoff M61 are:

1. Wide voltage range. Odds are if you can fit it inside the tube it will work. LOL!

2. Long run times due to a combo of DD and vampire taper.

3. Durability.

4. A wide range of tint options.

5. Nice beam for many applications.

6. Gene supports CPF and backs his product.

7. Malkoff junkie support. LOL!

8. Very low output options. LL, LLL.

However if very bright is the primary goal I would consider something else.
#9. Solid no nonsense mode switching with the Hi/Lo ring, you always know which level the light will be when you switch it on.
P