Manker LAD, a new 219c option, alternative to the Tip?

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I'm going to pull the trigger on one of these. For $25...???? I've had a MecArmy SGN3 on my keys for the last year or so. And while the light does what the mfg. said it would do, I find the UI pretty wonky. Not a big deal on a keychain light when it has other features I like, which this one does. What is a PITA though, is the fact that it does turn on in pocket, in tighter jeans, which I do wear. That not only looks stupid, it drains the tiny battery pretty fast if it happens to be on "high." If the Lad doesn't come on accidentally, it will probably be replacing my SGN3 on keyring duty.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visited with my kid in college yesterday. Offered an Astrolux M02 in trade to try and get the LAD back, but was refused. The LAD is on her keychain to stay, she really likes it. Works One handed, one button operation, no accidental activations.

I inquired if she had used more than the first mode, she reports having used the strobe to cross the street on a dark night, to alert oncoming traffic, and also used the second mode briefly. Has not used the Red mode, nor highest mode yet. I gave her the Nichia version, and on my light meter the first mode is 10 lumens. Im hoping someone will confirm the mode brightness levels, as I dont trust the specs are accurate.

Still thumbs up on the LAD as a gift to a non flashoholic. Zero issues...

more on the Astrolux here, they are on sale for under $20 w Nichia LEDs (cooler tints than my Worm)

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got my 219 LAD the other day from that big river. The main beam is great, but the red is awful. Looks like the back of an old VHS tape, in red. Pretty much useless. I think a bit of the sandpaper treatment is in order. The one thing about the SGN3 that surprised me is that the red beam is actually pretty good.

Good Point #1 about that LAD is that it does not seem to want to go on accidentally. Good Point #2 is that the UI is much better than that on the SGN3. The only gripe I have is I wish the low were lower. Honestly, there is not a huge range between low, medium and high, or so it seems. But I've only had the chance to use it inside. I'll have to try it outside.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
The main beam is great, but the red is awful.
you probably have the first batch of LEDs that were NOT straw hats
sanding helps
see post 177 for a pic of the two different red LED types used in the LAD

give the red a chance to prove its utility to you in the middle of the night. Try the red mode when you wake up in the dark to go to the bathroom. I find I can easily navigate with the red mode, both before and after sanding the original Spot Beam red leds

iamlucky13

Flashlight Enthusiast
Visited with my kid in college yesterday. Offered an Astrolux M02 in trade to try and get the LAD back, but was refused. The LAD is on her keychain to stay, she really likes it. Works One handed, one button operation, no accidental activations.

That's good to hear. In some ways, I'm as interested or perhaps more interested to hear what non-flashaholics think of lights that I might consider as gifts than I am what those of us here think.

If somebody who doesn't care about all the nitty gritty details, and I'm betting has a light on her phone she could otherwise use, not only refuses to give hers up, but won't even trade it for an even smaller light, that's a solid endorsement.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
If somebody who doesn't care about all the nitty gritty details, and I'm betting has a light on her phone she could otherwise use, not only refuses to give hers up, but won't even trade it for an even smaller light, that's a solid endorsement.

exactly! She refused an E05 previously, claiming it was "too big" for her keychain, and that her iPhone worked fine as a flashlight.

I got her to accept a Pico light (10 grams), which she found useful, until it ran out of batteries, and she had no idea where to locate replacements. The M02 (18 grams) was intended to replace the Pico, but the LAD won out because

1. It does not require 2 hands to operate
2. It is not finnicky like the little 10180 lights
3. It provides a useful first mode from a single click..

and to my surprise
4. She likes to use the strobe to cross the street at night
(living in the BayArea of Crowdifornia there is LOTS of traffic on the roads)

Ive not heard any "too big" complaints.

One of the things I like best about the LAD as a gift light, is that it is mini USB rechargeable (and btw, a charge cable is included)

bltkmt

Enlightened
mailbox.gif

BigBluefish

Flashlight Enthusiast
Ouch...not happy about this. Pulled my LAD out of my pocket and the rubber switch cover was among the missing. Had the presence of mind (after a few unprintable words) to check the jacket pocket in which the keys were riding the night before, and there it was. Think I may need to squirt a little Loctite or epoxy around the rim to keep the edge of the cover under the rim of the opening for the switch.

BazzH

Newly Enlightened
I've got one and I think it's the best light for what it's designed for: a keychain, edc light that can be handled by non-flashaholics. Lumen range is great, it's sturdily build, UIC is easy enough if you keep away from carnival modes.

The only thing wrong in my (early) light is the red leds that need to be sandpapered to the bone to avoid the strange artifacts.

Looking forward to an MK II version where the UI is cut down to moonlight-med-high-turbo and the straw hat red leds are realy straw hat: floody red with no saturnus rings.

Great concept, execution can be bettered AFAIC.

jon_slider

Flashlight Enthusiast
Who is selling the new LADs, with the red LED fixed?
I would like to know too
if you want to research it for us, I suggest you click the pic in this post, #177 and ask the OP where his came from. And maybe also email Manker, or whatever vendor you prefer (always better to buy in the country you live in if you contemplate a return)
share what you learn

Ouch...not happy about this. Pulled my LAD out of my pocket and the rubber switch cover was among the missing.
thanks for sharing your pain
share your successful solution too if possible

straw hat red leds are realy straw hat
see photo in post 177

fwiw, my Lad has been living on a college students keychain for the last month and a half. I have not heard of any issues, will update if that changes. I did sand the LEDs, it was not difficult, and Im considering buying another one for myself..

Last edited:

bltkmt

Enlightened
I ordered another one - Cree version since I already have the Nichia one. I like these better than the Tips.