Maritime industry / EDC recommendation

DRO4

Newly Enlightened
Hi everyone,

I work at sea on commercial ships as a Deck Officer and I would like to purchase a reliable flashlight that I can use for work and as an EDC to keep it in my backpack while going ashore.

If it could be under $150 that would be great. I use a Maxpedition Chubby organizer if it matters for EDC but for ship use must be compact so I can keep somewhere in my overalls pockets.

Also, must be somewhat resistant to rain.

I would like some recommendations. So far I came across Fenix PD35 and Nitecore P12, are these two good candidates ?

Thank you !

vadimax

Flashlight Enthusiast
I guess people would advise you something of Zebralight row as they are the most technologically advanced lights. Another question if you would like their user interface.

sgt253

Enlightened
I would suggest to you Malkoff MDC. They can be had in a variety of choices regarding battery type and output. Very robust build quality, under your budget, and dead bang reliable. Let us know if there are specific requirements that you have. Recommendations can be quite specific. Best.

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would probably do a Zebralight too. If you are gonna carry in a bib or overall pocket, get the Right angle head style light. I am not sure what battery would best fit you. I would probably get a 18650.

I also like the ArmyTek Tiara A1 Pro. You can run it on regular AA's (easily found on shore), and if you want lots of light, 14500 (3.7 volt) cells. These can double as a headlamp with the band.

blah9

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just want to chime in and say that the pd35 would probably work well for you too.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will also suggest a Zebralight they are just that good. The SC600 MkIII HI specifically. Just remember you will need a separate charger to charge the cell. OR..Nitecore MH20. It is also very compact quality through and through and has built in micro USB charging you just need a USB to micro USB cable which the light comes with. There are 3 MH20's. One is a "standard" XML2 U2 LED, next is the same thing just with a more natural halogen like tint to the beam and the 3rd is an amazing thrower.

pantagana23

Newly Enlightened
Guess you would need a stainless steel, or preferably a titanium twisty flashlight, with a minimum of IPx7. SS or titanium to prevent corrosion (although I doubt they make SS flashlights in 316, more likely 304, which could rust), so titanium is better option. Twisty, as the rubber buttons would sooner or later crack in that ambient. Not sure how long the o-rings would last.
Anyone got an idea for the above description for the man?

xxo

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you are flying in and out for crew changes, I would stick with AA Eneloops to avoid the hassles of traveling by air with lithium batteries.

ingineer

Newly Enlightened
Surprised nobody recommended a [h=1]SureFire G2X Pro[/h]plastic body will not rust, easy to hold on to in the cold. comes in a bright yellow body,same size as a 6p so should fit a small pouch.
And about half of the 150 bucks.plus very reliable, perhaps upgradable

LeanBurn

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would you ever consider a headlamp? Being on a boat etc one often needs 2 hands free, no?

1DaveN

Enlightened
I never miss a chance to recommend the PD35, my first really good light and still my favorite. The RC11 has some advantages, but I really like the size of the PD35 (in my opinion, smaller isn't always better). I don't really feel qualified to comment on the right light to use at sea, but generally speaking I really like the PD35 and wouldn't be without one.