• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Maui time (Pictures) - 3

jso902

Enlightened
Was Marvin Gaye playing in your head when you caught this unusual moment? Awesome pictures Don!

tjswarbrick

Enlightened
Amazing pictures as always, Don.
Heading out to Lana'i from Lahaina early Monday. I hope to catch a glimpse of some of the rare, beautiful and awesome creatures that you capture so well and share with us.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
The fish that got away often doesn't really get away; just suffers a slow and painful demise.

_DMC0954.jpg

The eel below has a cleaner shrimp in its mouth:

_DMC1052.jpg

Selfie reflected in a diver's air bubble headed towards the surface:

_DMC1128.jpg

Small turtle blasted off the reef after being awoken by a passing shadow of an eagle ray (seconds after the shot below was taken):

_DMC1184.jpg

_DMC1203.jpg

Frogfish blending in on the corfal to the left of the purple velvet starfish (which is what it is called and what it looks and feels like!):

_DMC0429.jpg

_DMC0612.jpg

_DMC1486.jpg

A new frogfish recruit to the reef has been around now for about a month (smallest one I have encountered):

_DMC1724.jpg

_DMC2002.jpg

I got a chance to swim with and photograph some juvenile threadfin jacks (African Pompano) which I had never seen before or since:

_DMC2152.jpg

_DMC2211.jpg

_DMC2229.jpg

_DMC2446.jpg

_DMC2863.jpg

_DMC2608.jpg

_DMC2667.jpg

GODOFWAR

Banned
For I a moment thought it's National Geographic thing! Marvelous job [emoji122]🏻[emoji122]🏻[emoji106]🏻

Codeman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Don,

It's been a long time since I last visited. It's wonderful to see you still at it!

I gotta ask a question - have you considered having a book, or two or a dozen, of your photography published? The quality is as good as anything I've seen and I have to think they would be very successful. Then again, who wants to turn play time into work time....

All the best my friend,
Ray

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don,

It's been a long time since I last visited. It's wonderful to see you still at it!

I gotta ask a question - have you considered having a book, or two or a dozen, of your photography published? The quality is as good as anything I've seen and I have to think they would be very successful. Then again, who wants to turn play time into work time....

All the best my friend,
Ray

Thanks for the kind words Ray and everybody else!! I have a cousin who used to do high quality coffee table books based on historical images and other themes. Apparently such have gone by the wayside for the most part in this digital age. I think if I wanted to do something with my images I would have the best shot of some success by finding some local gallery to host some prints. But that would require time and effort and some attempt at blowing my own horn. Doesn't sound like fun and it would certainly cut into the time I have to get out in the water and take the pics.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
How is the 2017 whale season shaping up there on Maui?

There are a lot of whales but their surface time and activity is less than normal in my experience. The water visability has not been as good as one would hope either. However, I have already had some wonderful encounters and hope for many more in the next couple months!

1-9-FrameGrab3.jpg

_DMC8462.jpg

_DMC8497.jpg

Mom-Calf170119-5.jpg

_1200037.jpg

I have a new Zodiac along with a custom "observation/swim platform" sled. Below, we had some whales along with single dolphin

pass by us:

Bottlenose-Whales-5.jpg

_DMC8587.jpg

_DMC8634.jpg

_DMC8658-close.jpg

_DMC8678.jpg

_DMC8683.jpg

_1270022.jpg

_DMC8714.jpg

Young calf came over for a quick visit. She and her mother were taking it easy for a couple hours at least and mom would alternate

from floating at the surface while feeding her daughter to napping in a vertical orientation with her chin above the surface. I got some

drone video of them which is linked at the bottom of this post.

_DMC8794.jpg

_DMC8799.jpg

_DMC8832.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Before the new year, there were a few encounters with some breaching worth comment.

_C070025.jpg

_C070035.jpg

RI Chevy

Flashlight Enthusiast
Absolutely breathtaking!
Thanks so much for sharing these with us.
👍

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Today we got "mugged" buy a pair of whales that visited us along with a few other boats near by.

_DMC8859.jpg

_DMC8886.jpg

_DMC8932.jpg

_DMC8937.jpg