Maxa Beam question??

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
The increase to 85W and the resulting increase to 7.5MCP came in 2006 and is designated by G3-12.

Later that year we introduced enhanced reflectors as an option with a separate "-A" model number, i.e. MBS-410-A, MBS-430-AY, etc.

In 2011 we made the enhanced reflector standard across all searchlights and this was designated by G3-20. All "-A" model numbers were discontinued at this time.
So my Gen3 (M14146 G3-12 MBS-410) is 85w - but without the enhanced reflector - so its 7.5mcp ? Built 2006 or later (i know it still has the original bulb)

Any idea what my "Gen2" was when it left the factory ?
No serial number - just this big sticker on it

I know it does 7.2mcp (measured) but thats with one of Parker VH's ushio adapters - not a stock lamp.
still need to get a new lamp return wire/clip fitted too (not working at the moment)

You'll giggle every time you fire it up outside, espc with anyone near by.
i still giggle like a small child when i fire mine up - just seeing that thin beam reach out into the sky is great fun

Last edited:

Matt@PeakBeam

Newly Enlightened
So my Gen3 (M14146 G3-12 MBS-410) is 85w - but without the enhanced reflector - so its 7.5mcp ? Built 2006 or later (i know it still has the original bulb)

That shipped December 2006 and should have been 7.5MCP at the time.

Any idea what my "Gen2" was when it left the factory ?
No serial number - just this big sticker on it

Someone removed the serial label at some point. It could be really hard to narrow down but I would guess pre-2000. Were there any batteries or chargers with it that have serial numbers? That looks like the sticker that used to be on cases/some chargers.

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast

Someone removed the serial label at some point. It could be really hard to narrow down but I would guess pre-2000. Were there any batteries or chargers with it that have serial numbers? That looks like the sticker that used to be on cases/some chargers.

Cool - so 7.5mcp from the Gen 3 - good to know.

no, the battery doesnt have a serial# either - the pack was cut open and the worn out internals replaced with a 9ah 12v SLA and glued back together.

stingray3

Enlightened
Hi everyone,

Just wanted to clear up a few points, as there is some understandable confusion regarding the different versions of the Maxa Beam.

The G3 and the G2 that are often referred to deal exclusively with the electronics that run the light. G2 covers everything except the very first few batches of searchlights in the late 80's to when G3 was introduced in late 2004. Within the broader G2 and G3 categories there are many different revisions as improvements were made to the searchlight. A G2 light might be 3 MCP or 6 MCP depending on when it was produced, and a G3 light might be 6, 7.5, or 12 MCP depending on when it was produced.

All Maxa Beam searchlights should have a serial label that identifies a model number (most commonly MBS-410) and serial number (currently G3-20Y M#####). The G#-## part of the serial number will tell you the exact version/revision of the searchlight and the M##### is basically the actual serial number of the light.

I want to emphasize that we strongly recommend anyone thinking about purchasing a Maxa Beam online to contact Peak Beam with the model and serial # of the Maxa Beam you are considering purchasing. Whether sellers do it knowingly or not, there are a lot of old searchlights for sale with descriptions that are copy and pasted directly from our current website.

-Matt

Well I did this a few days ago on a maxabeam I found selling online listing it as New 12 CP with 2 batteries, charger, ect.... I got a pic of the tag on the light from the seller and sent it in an email to peakbeam asking for some info on this particular light.

Got a reply the next day and here is the reply (copy and paste).......

Thank you for your email! The Maxa Beam serial number that you inquired about originally shipped from the factory on 10/11/07. The light may be in new condition still, but please note that if there are batteries with it, they may not be in good working condition if they haven't been recharged once every few months over the more than seven years that they have been sitting around. Reconditioning them or cycling them a few times may bring them back to life, but that's not necessarily a guarantee. The searchlight would have the programming for 85W, but it doesn't have the enhanced reflector so it would be a 7.5 million candlepower searchlight and not the current 12 million candlepower. Please let me know if you have any other questions or if you need further assistance.
Have a great day!
Best Regards,
Deb
Deborah Grant
Peak Beam Systems, Inc.
1 610-353-8505 ext. 114, phone
1 610-353-8411, fax
www.peakbeam.com

Peakbeam....I have got to say thank you very much for this service you provide! :)

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
Peak Beam Systems has been great to deal with. Annie, Deb, and Matt have bent over backwards to answer questions on lights that were sold new years ago. They have a great configuration management system in place to find the exact configuration that your light left the factory either new or after it received any type of service or upgrade.

My Maxa Beam was originally sold as a 12 million candle power light. It was a light that Peak built for a customer raffle. After removing all of the foam from my case I found the raffle flyer, owners manual and a business card from Annie. Lets just say that Annie isn't just a customer service representative. My light has the lithium ion batteries. both of which were charged and in good shape.

You'll love the electronic focus from spot to flood, well at least if you want to call a 40 degree beam, flood.

The Maxa Beam is a much nicer light than the Xenonics Nighthunter.

minim

Newly Enlightened

Do you have a simple list where we could identify the various models? I've gathered some info below. Also I wonder how big is the practical difference from a 6-7.5-12MCP lamp? I'm in the market for a used lamp but I have a feeling it might be hard to come across a 12MCP version used ^^

MBS-410 M11738 G23 - 6MCP, gen3 circuit board (old software), old optics/focus mechanism. Made in 2004.
MBS-410 M11604 G23 - 6MCP ,gen3 circuit board (old software), old optics/focus mechanism. Made in 2004.
MBS-410 G3-12 - 7MCP
MBS-410 G3-20 - 12MCP
MBS-410 G3-26 - 12MCP Current version and continuous high beam option

BVH

Flashaholic
Here ya go:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Maxa-Beam-...573561?hash=item284fdcf8f9:g:V4oAAOSwyZ5UqjxV

I bought at least 6 of these kits about 4 or 5 years ago. One was installed in my current "Gen2 converted to Gen3" MB. These are early Gen3, 12 CP lamps. The current lamp I guess would be a Gen3, V2 lamp. I think I posted this before but when Peakbeam Systems tried a Gen3, V2 lamp in my light, it produced about 1 MCP more than my Gen3 V1 lamp produced.

Last edited:

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
All Maxa Beam searchlights should have a serial label that identifies a model number (most commonly MBS-410) and serial number (currently G3-20Y M#####). The G#-## part of the serial number will tell you the exact version/revision of the searchlight and the M##### is basically the actual serial number of the light.
one of mine doesn't have a serial label...
does that mean its a really early G1 ? or just a weird hybrid G2 ?

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
one of mine doesn't have a serial label...
does that mean its a really early G1 ? or just a weird hybrid G2 ?

Nope, it means that the serial number label was removed, either accidentally or on purpose. The aluminized foil label catches easily and falls off.

Does your light have a Teflon locator button for the bulb on the front of the lens? If so, it's probably an early G2 light. Later models went to a metal locator button and the latest lights went to using the Spyder lens.

The generation 3 lights mostly have two connectors on the rear of the light, one for input power and the second for remote control.

If you remove the lens, then the bulb and reflector, you'll have access to the circuit board. I seem to recall that the circuit board was marked with the generation of the light.

minim

Newly Enlightened
Nope, it means that the serial number label was removed, either accidentally or on purpose. The aluminized foil label catches easily and falls off.

Does your light have a Teflon locator button for the bulb on the front of the lens? If so, it's probably an early G2 light. Later models went to a metal locator button and the latest lights went to using the Spyder lens.

The generation 3 lights mostly have two connectors on the rear of the light, one for input power and the second for remote control.

If you remove the lens, then the bulb and reflector, you'll have access to the circuit board. I seem to recall that the circuit board was marked with the generation of the light.

Do you by any chance have a picture of the circuit board?

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
H2xnuUv.jpg

It looks like it never had a sticker, and has the teflon button on the lens.
reflector anodise has a greenish tint to it.
with parkerVH adapters and Ushio UXL-75XE bulb it was measured at 7.2Mcp.

My G3-12 still has the factory bulb and should be a 7.5Mcp model, single power input only (i wish it had the remote port)
it has the normal label that takes up half of the space under the handle with a serial number and model number

NoNotAgain

Flashlight Enthusiast
H2xnuUv.jpg

It looks like it never had a sticker, and has the teflon button on the lens.

The sticker you've got is the same as is used in the factory Pelican hard case.

I've got 5 Maxa Beam lights. Two generation 2 lights, one MBS450 light which Matt claimed by serial number was one of the last MBS450 lights produced(same as the generation 3 lights) and two generation 3 lights.

Internally, the generation 2 lights use different adjustment hardware for setting the bulb position.

As for pictures of the circuit board, they're stored on another computer at this time. I let my Dropbox account expire when they were made changes to a paid storage system only.

Matt@PeakBeam

Newly Enlightened
I'll try to respond to some of the key points that have been raised in various posts.

1. If a light no longer has a serial label, the easiest way to tell if it has a G2 or G3 circuit is listen to the ignition when you first turn on the light. All G2 lights have a spark gap that you can hear when you press the red button to turn on the light. It is a definitely audible zap/buzz. G3 lights are pretty quite although the formation of the arc is audible, sort of a muffled pop.

2. G1 would refer to what was essentially the original prototype systems from 1988. G2 started with the first "production" Maxa Beam in 1989. So it is very unlikely that you would have a G1 system. The gore valve on the side of the main body was added in early 2001 so that would be something that might tell you if it is earlier or later G2.

3. Maxa Beam CandlePower History since 2000:

G2-20 (2000-2004) Last version of G2 circuitry. 75W High and 6MCP.
G3 (2004-2006) First Version of G3 circuitry. 75W High and 6MCP.
G3-12 & G3-12R (2006-2011) Introduction of 85W and 7.5MCP. G3-12R denotes remote-ports becoming standard and occurred in 2010.
****Enhanced reflectors were introduced in late 2006 as an optional upgrade. The letter "A" was added to the model number, i.e. "410-A".
G3-20 and Later (2011-present) Enhanced reflector becomes standard and output increased to 12MCP.

Hopefully that clears up a few points. Let me know if there are any remaining questions.

unretarded

Newly Enlightened
Any recommendations on NiCad batteries...…..I have performed surgery and opened one of my packs, now its time to find a decent battery.

I am swimming well above my income level with this light, so budget and staying with NiCad so all I need are the 10 batteries is about my only option I can think of.

I just do not want to get garbage cells. The cells in it now are SAFT, which are way out of my price range at 20 bucks each.

PS...these are F cells

Thanks

minim

Newly Enlightened
Any recommendations on NiCad batteries...…..I have performed surgery and opened one of my packs, now its time to find a decent battery.

I am swimming well above my income level with this light, so budget and staying with NiCad so all I need are the 10 batteries is about my only option I can think of.

I just do not want to get garbage cells. The cells in it now are SAFT, which are way out of my price range at 20 bucks each.

PS...these are F cells

Thanks

Don't know about nicad cells but I went with 3S5P Samsung 30Q 18650 batteries. Should be able to deliver 12V 75A so it's plenty to go full power. Since you have the box you prolly don't need it but I'll share the 3D model for the box when I'm done with it. Render here.

battboxrender.png

Echo63

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you want "budget"
a 7ah 12v SLA fits in the box.

one of mine was modded with an SLA before I bought it - the other has the stock NiCad cells.