MBI #7 - The MBI MatchBook, Got A Light anyone?

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tgwnn, these sure seem like they may be a bigger hit now than before? I am excited about the possibility of getting one. I won't be greedy at first. I also like the idea of the plastic cover. How about a box? like the box of matches. If you did both, we could by from you: a Book, a Box, and some Thing! That is pretty MBIsh if you were to axe me.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tgwnn, these sure seem like they may be a bigger hit now than before? I am excited about the possibility of getting one. I won't be greedy at first. I also like the idea of the plastic cover. How about a box? like the box of matches. If you did both, we could by from you: a Book, a Box, and some Thing! That is pretty MBIsh if you were to axe me.

Hi Str8stroke,

Just received a quote for the plastic version matchbook and due to there being a high min. order, it's a few thousand dollars :(
Not so practical for at least the first hundred.

For speed, and to keep the price as is, I'm going to use a lightly laminated card. I can include a spare for free, and offer spares too.
Then, if demand is high enough to make a plastic version, I can offer spares of those too.
Unlike a typical matchbook, the MBI Matches are easy to remove and replace :)

A box, LOL.
Boxes are doable and I'll be happy to fill them with MBI Matches but perhaps lets give that just a few weeks so I can keep everything else on track, and confirm the V1 MBI MatchBook too.

Tgwnn

Zandar

Enlightened
O K sure a box of MBI "matches", you and I both know that to meet GUY'S lofty standards, this " box" at the very least must have the MBI logo and at the very most must be completely fire proof, so a Ti box is a reasonable option down the road for such an important tool.

Last edited:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some quick pics:

3_zpspxbugngg.jpg

2_zps9kdizqj7.jpg

1_zpspew7dtzl.jpg

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice. Change mine to 2

lol, thanks Tejasandre :D

Very nice!

Thank you Bigmac!!

Working hard to have a first batch ready in ~2 weeks, in time for Christmas.
There's just one minor part I need to sort out for the MatchBook, a thin ferrous metal bar for the inside of the base.
I was thinking of a magnet but with polarity issues etc. a bar may be better. Alternatively, I may 3D print a small plastic bar and install some tiny magnets into it, may be a a more precise solution.
Will get to that as soon as I have a moment.

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Something like this:

Screen20Shot202015-11-1920at202.29.2420PM_zpsihdytzug.jpg

Little round magnets inside the black base.

It does mean a wee extra bit of ensuring correct polarity for the magnets inside the black base (and the matches) but doable and definitely faster than getting metals chopped up for a version 1, along with ensuring perfectly positioned matches. This part will essentially not be visible.

The only thing to confirm is the height of the magnets in the base 1mm or 2mm, need to make sure no one looses any matches!!

I did also think of extending the base just a little so the matches could slide in but that will add a little width, actually I'll have to double check the resolution of my printer again. Printing on my own 3D printer is mostly just time for small parts (cost of the plastic is pennies).
Getting even a small part like this printed at fine resolution facility usually ends up costing > $10, possibly $5 with the 0.5mm walls.... (thinking outloud again...).

Tgwnn

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are these 1 time use only or Can the energy source be replace?

Hi Newguy2012,

These are (essentially) 1 time use.
Runtime is typically ~8hours (varies with LED color as voltage requirements are different).

In theory, it may be possible to replace the battery but the batteries make up most of the cost.
Also as the sizes etc. are all so small, it's easy to break a contact in the process and making them truly replaceable, adds some size with a minor tradeoff of being easier to come apart (switch mechanism, etc).

So for an extra dollar, you can have a new battery, LED, etc... without the frustration of dealing with miniature parts.

("Things" on the other hand all have easily replaceable power sources, but as mentioned, I don't think anyone will burn through their first power source for a good while).

Tgwnn

eraursls1984

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the thermal power source would work best for the Matchbook. They're not too terribly bright, so I imagine there's enough real estate to power it with your hand.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think the thermal power source would work best for the Matchbook. They're not too terribly bright, so I imagine there's enough real estate to power it with your hand.

Hi eraursls1984,

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:
I haven't seen any thermal modules yet that will fit in the match but if the thickness was doubled, to 6mm it could work (but then it would be a worm). Maybe next project :D

Tgwnn

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi eraursls1984,

Thanks for the suggestion :thumbsup:
I haven't seen any thermal modules yet that will fit in the match but if the thickness was doubled, to 6mm it could work (but then it would be a worm). Maybe next project :D

Tgwnn
Worm?, naagh. Dat's one of dem Fancy Fireplace matches, bring it on :D

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Update:

First small batch of parts landed.

I made the first set of matches (8) but there's some minor thing I want to tweak.
These are a little time consuming to do each one.
For now, my best guess at full speed going like a madman might be 2 minutes per match (16min), plus about 5 min per matchbook on top of that as a minimum. 20 min a book, 3 p/hour.....
hmmm not sure I can make a large quantity at that rate (I could, but it will be a slow process).
I might be able to conjure up some help, still need to test the process a few more times.

I'll aim to complete the first book in the next couple of days, size checking, etc, post some photos and go from there....

I'll be back :D

Tgwnn

lightlover

Flashlight Enthusiast
............. These are a little time consuming to do each one. .....
hmmm not sure I can make a large quantity at that rate (I could, but it will be a slow process).

Tgwnn

Tgwnn,

I've just had a brilliant idea! (Perhaps ...)

Could you sell these in a kit form, for us to assemble ourselves?
(With a different warranty of course).

Could that save you some time+effort?

[You could always copy/paste a reply: lightlover, you are silly! ]

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tgwnn,

I've just had a brilliant idea! (Perhaps ...)

Could you sell these in a kit form, for us to assemble ourselves?
(With a different warranty of course).

Could that save you some time+effort?

[You could always copy/paste a reply: lightlover, you are silly! ]

Hi lightlover,

Thanks for the post.
Wow, I totally agree that it's a brilliant idea!

No one has a monopoly on those, especially me ;)

Not sure that it will work for step 1 (the 2 min part) as it requires a heat-gun or oven but I always love out of the box ideas and this one is right up there with the best of them.

I did already check further on step 1 (essentially adding the magnet at the base, and thin rubber coat to ensure the magnet is secure because the ones that were glued only, were a little too easy to break off). With enough quantity (perhaps 500-600 matchbooks), I can embed that step into the battery manufacturing process which would completely simplify things and eliminate the 2min each.

Perhaps for now, I'll just take a deep breath, and somehow bend time to make as many as I can, perhaps as a beta-run of sorts, then after feedback, I can consider aiming for a larger number.

Tgwnn

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast

Did these some time ago. Not as neat as yours but I was trying to go for a rough finish look so that it looks more like wood.

Close up.

Last edited: