MBI #7 - The MBI MatchBook, Got A Light anyone?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Congrats on exceeding the funding goal.:D
Thanks so much Newguy2012,

Very much due to the support of everyone here :bow:

Congrats Guy, you made it "big time". Gizmodo

http://gizmodo.com/a-matchbook-full-of-tiny-disposable-flashlights-is-a-br-1764725748

EDIT: Don't read the comments. lol Looks like some of the non flashlight folks think something this cool and artful isn't a smart or environmentally friendly use of materials! lol WOW I am gonna enjoy using mine.

Hi Str8stroke,

Thanks and glad we as a tribe made it there!!

I read the comments, every last one and of course I was laughing most of the time, enjoying the viewpoints and spicy thoughts.
More on that below...

Ok, ok , you talked me into it. I'm in too.
Thanks Tejasandre :D

The comments are pretty brutal. Thankfully the backer don't see it that way. I don't see it as using a lot of materials. One disposable floss probably use more plastic than a pack of these.

Yes, somewhat brutal and perhaps misconceived but even still, they do carry an element of truth as their basis.

A thread opened on the forum too smh
Great :thumbsup:

I closed it and directed them here to keep it all organized.
Thanks very much nbp, much appreciated.

Cant you move there posts here so they dont have to post them again?

Yes, I could, but as they were basically just trashing the project I left them there. If Guy wants me to move them here, I will oblige. Does that seem fair?
Hi Tachead, nbp,

I'm very accepting of all comments, be they good or otherwise.
I realise that we (flashaholics) have our own metrics and values that will differ greatly to those of gen-pop (the general population).

Understood, your call. A bit of criticism is to be expected though on a disposable product like this when wastefulness is starting to be frowned upon in modern society.

Hi Tachead,

Thanks for laying out the facts diplomatically :twothumbs:

So, here's my take:

Originally, the MBI Matchbook was made as a one of a kind, for me and my own personal satisfaction.
Of course, the matches / matchbox / matchbook are a very nice (may I humbly say "clever") play on my brand, MatchBox Instruments.

So when I thought of the original concept, I couldn't help but post it on my blog.
A couple of years have passed since then and in that time I've had plenty of requests asking "when can I buy them" or "I'd love to own one". I did try making a few by hand but it was a very slow and tedious process and there's no way I could ever make enough, in a short enough amount of time (or even charge anywhere near a reasonable amount considering the time each one would take).

So... not wanting to manufacture hundreds and risk having them sit on a shelf (or even be being able to for that matter) I decided I'd let the market decide and should there be enough demand, I would of course be very happy to make these a reality for those like minded people who'd also like to own one.

I did envisage most of the demand would be directly from the MBI tribe, with perhaps some others who either have a requirement/use-case for something very small or appreciate the modern-art concept.

Of course, I don't expect these to ever replace an HF-R, or a regular flashlight and they are not meant to.

By the same token, my "other" creations/products are also not for everyone on the planet either; Rather, they are only going to be purchased by those who appreciate some combination of craft, workmanship, originality, perhaps to some degree being influential on the final design and spec, perhaps a joy or attachment of watching something evolve and become, and then also very probably, the product fits a use-case they may have, whether that be impressing friends with massive power in a small package, examining patients with a high CRI handheld, or a low level light used on the bridge of a ship (of which all are real customer stories).

So the MBI Matchbook is a limited-run test of sorts, of which I have/had no way of predicting either demand, outcome or market response without launching. Quite a few initial comments/questions on "can the battery be replaced?" or "how about a rechargeable version" of which both are very valid and worth exploring only "IF" there is a real demand.

It's very easy to just say something sucks and I'd buy it if it was like xxxx but from experience, I've been there and done that and it's been my reality (may not be yours) that you can spend a massive amount of time and money to fix that little xxxx issue, and then the next little issue arises, etc, etc.. the long and short being it's unlikely one product will please everyone in the world unless you have some kind of monopoly and frankly, that is more than ok with me.

As with all products I design, they usually are the result of a very selfish reason to please myself and satisfy a personal desire or need.
When that aligns with the needs/desires of the tribe and when I'm capable of delivering the creation in an economically viable way, it may also translate into a product.

Go to any supermarket and you'll see many of the same people commenting over at gizmo.. use disposable nappies (diapers), throwaway hand towels, paper cups, wooden cup stirrers, disposable AA batteries by the dozen, tea bags (the kind with a yellow/red label, stapled to the string)..., etc, etc, etc,
Is this good Eco?

Now I know for certain, MOST of these people have NEVER experienced a magnitude 7+ quake, never been unexpectedly stuck in a PITCH black elevator for 3 hours on their way out of a business meeting (in an unfamiliar skyscraper), and never been trapped inside a dark, rubbled office with rising water due to a tsunami so I don't expect them to have the same visceral reactions as those who have and as I've said, that is perfectly ok (some people swear that coffee is the best and others that it's the worst, what can you do beyond accepting and loving the fact we are all different?).

At the end of the day, I'm grateful to hear all the opinions which do matter to me and do influence my thoughts, designs and actions and I'm actually very inspired and happy to see so many people conscious of the environment and our wonderful planet.

It's a real pity the headline said "disposable"... I mean that is literally begging for punishment :) c'mon like saying "hey, whip me!"
We could add that headline to almost anything though and spin it negatively.

The fact is, the small lithium batteries have less environmental impact than a standard AA alkaline.
It should rather say, the LED is disposable and when you replace the battery, it comes pre-attached with a new LED!

The LED made of silicon, a tiny bit of metal and a tiny bit of plastic, is FAR LESS Wasteful than the plastic tag/clip on your daily loaf of bread (or all those wasteful twist ties you throw away) so a little perspective please.

All that said.... and I am actually working on a design that allows for easy replacement of the battery (potentially rechargeable) without impacting the size profile (which I'll add is important because I want it to exist in the world in that exact way), with greater output, and a better switching mechanism too but based on my experience, again this may take some time to develop so for those of you who consider that a must, AND think you'll want this product then, please be patient. For those who won't be buying one anyway, then I thank you for your concern, it is duly noted and sleep well knowing that:
1) I'm working on it
2) The annual waste generated by ONE person (that's you), in a year (500kg~750kg) is going to be more than the entire batch of MBI Matchlights put together so a little perspective please and do let us enjoy our hobby in the interest of making potential breakthroughs that will save you money, energy and possibly even your life, sometime in the future.

My sincere apologies for the lo~ng rant....
very humbly,
Tgwnn (Guy@MBI)

Str8stroke

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy I think you may be a genius. I am so impressed with your responses to criticisms. You bring up some very valid points and only validate your "very humble" signature statement. I am impressed.
My first thought when reading the "what a waste" comments was: I wonder how many Starbucks cups they toss, how about those toothpaste, deodorant containers, razor blades etc that these folks use daily? They probably have more waste than the Matchbook in their Prius keyless remote batteries!
I bet half these folks don't even own a flashlight. If they do, it's probably some super inefficient incandescent battery murderer! Oh the irony.

I view the Matches as: artistic, unique, entertaining and fun. Sui generis.

Jay R

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case people want to use the same 'lines' I use when I have mine on me...

When people get out an electronic cigarette in front of me and I have one handy, I ask them if they want a 'light' for it. And along the same lines, when someone asks me what it is, I say it's a match for an electronic cigarette.

In fact, I'm almost tempted to take up electronic cig's just so I can 'light' them with a match....

Last edited:

Zandar

Enlightened
I know I'm a little late to the party but I've kept my promise and made my first ever pledge for a new product.You've proven to be a man of your word and will always have my complete support as well that of a few cub scouts I know. Those scouts will be thrilled this year with a new MBI light or two,hopefully. Thanks for never giving up on the dream! , Zandar

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Total admiration for Matchbox Instruments. We all know these are specialized tools/art, and I too have sometimes used the internet to vent my self-righteous spleen at the world. Glad to see Guy handling the tempest in a teapot pile-on. It is a pleasure to be a part of what may be the most interesting expression of cutting edge, with heart, capitalism this world has yet known. I just wish it was more profitable than it is, for our tribal leader.

Perhaps Guy will someday reveal that he grew up Canadian (or British) and the general nature of his day job in Japan! I am not the only one who takes note of his word usage, out of curiosity to learn more about the man, the myth, the future legend.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Guy I think you may be a genius. I am so impressed with your responses to criticisms. You bring up some very valid points and only validate your "very humble" signature statement. I am impressed.
My first thought when reading the "what a waste" comments was: I wonder how many Starbucks cups they toss, how about those toothpaste, deodorant containers, razor blades etc that these folks use daily? They probably have more waste than the Matchbook in their Prius keyless remote batteries!
I bet half these folks don't even own a flashlight. If they do, it's probably some super inefficient incandescent battery murderer! Oh the irony.

Hi Str8stroke,

Thanks very much :)
Not sure about genius but I like to think I'm always being authentic, so hopefully that comes through.
Most appreciated :bow:

Just in case people want to use the same 'lines' I use when I have mine on me...

When people get out an electronic cigarette in front of me and I have one handy, I ask them if they want a 'light' for it. And along the same lines, when someone asks me what it is, I say it's a match for an electronic cigarette.

In fact, I'm almost tempted to take up electronic cig's just so I can 'light' them with a match....
Hi Jay R,

Love it :thumbsup: Thanks so much for sharing.

I mentioned that to a writer in a mail ;)

I know I'm a little late to the party but I've kept my promise and made my first ever pledge for a new product.You've proven to be a man of your word and will always have my complete support as well that of a few cub scouts I know. Those scouts will be thrilled this year with a new MBI light or two,hopefully. Thanks for never giving up on the dream! , Zandar
Hi Zandar,

You are always here in perfect time ;) Thanks for your support!

What a Guy! :thumbsup:
Thank you Tejasandre
icon10.gif

Most of the people complaining about "disposable" seem to think it's single use like a regular match.
Hi eraursls1984,

Thanks for pointing that out :thumbsup:
Someone did ask that exact same thing on my blogpost at the MBI website.

Total admiration for Matchbox Instruments. We all know these are specialized tools/art, and I too have sometimes used the internet to vent my self-righteous spleen at the world. Glad to see Guy handling the tempest in a teapot pile-on. It is a pleasure to be a part of what may be the most interesting expression of cutting edge, with heart, capitalism this world has yet known. I just wish it was more profitable than it is, for our tribal leader.

Perhaps Guy will someday reveal that he grew up Canadian (or British) and the general nature of his day job in Japan! I am not the only one who takes note of his word usage, out of curiosity to learn more about the man, the myth, the future legend.

Hi KITROBASKIN,

Thanks as always for the kind words and ongoing support. :twothumbs

Though I'm far too often strapped for time, I aim to be sincere, and generally a good global citizen, always looking to add some ++++ (rather than the opposite) to those I have the pleasure of interacting with, whenever the opportunity arises.

I'm blessed to have found a community of immensely knowledgeable believers who enjoy tinkering as much as I do and the rest is pure fun and passion.

Of course, I'm always working diligently on my "get rich slow" plan so that if good fortune should fall my way and MBI becomes an overnight global success (that took just 10 years to make), I'll throw a party and you're all invited, but in the meantime (even though some days I'm feeling the lack of sleep), I consider myself so fortunate to have something I love doing (even if it is a hobby).

Tgwnn

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast

While I agree for the most part, remember that every little bit helps when it comes to not being wasteful and working towards a lower carbon footprint and sustainability. If every person in western society alone brought a reusable cup to Starbucks(just to use one of your examples) it would make a huge difference and probably amount to millions less cups being produced and thrown out every year. Having the "it's only one cup" attitude does nothing to help with the worldwide problem we all face:thumbsup:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
While I agree for the most part, remember that every little bit helps when it comes to not being wasteful and working towards a lower carbon footprint and sustainability. If every person in western society alone brought a reusable cup to Starbucks(just to use one of your examples) it would make a huge difference and probably amount to millions less cups being produced and thrown out every year. Having the "it's only one cup" attitude does nothing to help with the worldwide problem we all face:thumbsup:

Hi Tachead,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
Agree with you 100%

The version 1 is very much a concept product to see if there's any demand beyond the MBI tribe.
There's no need to "throw them away" as the "disposable" title mentions, they make great fridge/noticeboard magnets.

In the meantime I have completed spec'ing a design for a version with replaceable batteries and currently having it looked over by my machining partners to see if it's possible.

I'm a bigger hippie than you might imagine, so I'm very grateful to have you here and looking out for (and after) our planet :thumbsup: :D

Tgwnn

Tachead

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Tachead,

Thanks so much for taking the time to respond.
Agree with you 100%

The version 1 is very much a concept product to see if there's any demand beyond the MBI tribe.
There's no need to "throw them away" as the "disposable" title mentions, they make great fridge/noticeboard magnets.

In the meantime I have completed spec'ing a design for a version with replaceable batteries and currently having it looked over by my machining partners to see if it's possible.

I'm a bigger hippie than you might imagine, so I'm very grateful to have you here and looking out for (and after) our planet :thumbsup: :D

Tgwnn

Thanks for the reply Guy. I think its a pretty neat product, cool concept. It would be awesome if you could make the "match pack" a charger with a micro USB port on it so all the matches could be charged up from it when plugged into a standard micro USB phone charger. Obviously it would have to cost more but, I really thing that would make it an even more desirable and innovative product. It would be really cool to be able to use the matches around the campsite for trail markers exc. and then charge them back up overnight.

Keep up the good work, you have some great ideas:thumbsup:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thanks for the reply Guy. I think its a pretty neat product, cool concept. It would be awesome if you could make the "match pack" a charger with a micro USB port on it so all the matches could be charged up from it when plugged into a standard micro USB phone charger. Obviously it would have to cost more but, I really thing that would make it an even more desirable and innovative product. It would be really cool to be able to use the matches around the campsite for trail markers exc. and then charge them back up overnight.

Keep up the good work, you have some great ideas:thumbsup:

Hi Tachead,

Thanks very much for your reply and follow up.

I've been working on a design that at the very least allows easy replacement of the battery and easier activation of the on/off too but it's quite a lot of miniaturisation so will need some testing to ensure it's robust.
It would definitely increase the initial product cost but would be a step forward towards a possible rechargeable version in the future.

For the moment, I must move forward with the initial version to ensure it's delivered on time and I'll continue to explore the development once that is completed.

Tgwnn

Uriah

Enlightened
Well,
My MBI Matchbook showed up today!!!
WooHoo
Another spectacular product from Guy.
Thanks Again
:twothumbs :grin2:
:thanks:

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Dear Tribe,

A quick post to let you know I'm still alive and getting better, and hoping to be back to normal-ish in the new year.
Thanks so much to everyone for their kind patience on everything MBI.

The very last of the Matchbooks are going out on Friday (though unfortunately there's nowhere to enter a tracking number directly via Indiegogo).

I shan't, can't post too much as honestly, I do need a little time to re-asses where things are project wise before doing so.
My engineer and some suppliers must think I disintegrated (fortunately ~i think, hope~ is not the case).

Thanks to Zandar for letting me know my website was offline (the DNS provider had expired temporarily), it's up and running normally now.

I'm still slow on mails (sorry) but with most Matchbooks now delivered, I hope my inbox will relax somewhat and I can take some time to sort through outstanding inquiries and be of more help. I won't be back to regular posting just yet, (I need to take care of work and get other such formalities in order first) but do look forward to sharing more creations when I'm back on track.

Sincere apologies for any inconveniences and slow replies and I'm looking forward to making it up in lumens and magical designs when the time comes.

Thanks so much for your support.

Guy / Tgwnn

HKJ

Flashaholic
Thanks for the lights, they arrived today (They arrived two days ago at the post office, but I did not have time to collect them before):
DSC_7176.jpg