MBI Core Ti - (world's thinnest??) Titanium Flashlight Pendant - (work in progress)

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick update to let you know the MBI Core Ti,

working proto V1 has arrived :party:

Its somewhat a rough proof of concept, but looks nice.
Titanium is almost weightless!!

A busy day/eve today but will post more details as soon as I can.

tgwnn

p.s. Kaichu, will be updating the surveys soon as I get a spare second too (need to make sure I dont break the existing data by changing the form).

Got Lumens?

Flashlight Enthusiast
A quick update to let you know the MBI Core Ti,

working proto V1 has arrived :party:

Its somewhat a rough proof of concept, but looks nice.
Titanium is almost weightless!!

A busy day/eve today but will post more details as soon as I can.

tgwnn

p.s. Kaichu, will be updating the surveys soon as I get a spare second too (need to make sure I dont break the existing data by changing the form).

Just a thought, it might save some time and frustration to have a fill in the blank option?
GL

applevision

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi Joe,

Certainly appreciate the conscientious feedback.

I have taken the factors you mentioned into account during the concept creation.
The "BIG" differentiator between the Core Ti and the lights you mentioned is that the Core Ti is jewelry first,
with an embedded light second. I do believe the others to be designed as a flashlight first.

Some people just want to wear something that looks stylish and unobtrusive.
There is no shortage of pure titanium "dog tags" that sell for much more than the Core Ti and seem to be doing reasonably well.

At approximately 5grams, its light, is something I could envision a supermodel wearing (in fact I had made some mockups on the neck of some female models but stopped short of posting those pics at the last minute as I didn't want to offend or bias the target of the Core Ti), and IMHO something I'd be as happy wearing as I would a pricier Cartier pendant, with the added benefit and surprise of there being a flashlight embedded in the 3mm~ body.

The "wow" factor in the Core Ti, is that its something small/thin enough to look as though it could be part of some circuit board, and the surprise is that it "produces" light, as opposed to the volume of light.

In light of many recent events around the world in the last year (earthquakes, floods, tsunamis, etc), I think that given a choice of a far more expensive designer pendant (perhaps larger too), that is indeed only a pendant and nothing more, versus a reasonably priced, pure titanium pendant (and priced more competitively than most other titanium jewelry pendants), enough people (who are not necessarily hard core flashaholics needing 1000 lumens :D or even aware that is possible) may like the Core Ti.

So far the non-flashaholics I've show the concept too have shown favor to the concept, but there is only one way to really find out, and that is to make it and try ;)

1000 lumens is not a bad thing, I'm the first to raise my hand and admit I'm crazy like that, but even I prefer a small amount of light for some things.

Hope that makes sense,

tgwnn

Basically, I want to +1 this. I am a flashaholic, and a lumenophile (love me some BRIGHT LIGHTS!), but I also want a light to wear around my neck at all times. I have worn my Draco and my Lummi Wee, and a fauxton, and now my Photon Rex... and the main thing is that I want something very small and very light that also looks sort of nice. I am thinking of this as basically a fauxton--but one that is beautiful, durable, and stylish. So that's why I'm going to get this. As I've said, my TiFli is gorgeous but it's still a little chunky and the round shape means that it can dig into my chest/neck in the worst way at times (like doing pushups, of if my kids jump on my back).

My wish list for this light's future version:
-Waterproof
-Rechargeable
-Lock on switch capability

The idea of using a Nano battery is brilliant...

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just a thought, it might save some time and frustration to have a fill in the blank option?
GL
Yes, a good idea, thanks.

Basically, I want to +1 this. I am a flashaholic, and a lumenophile (love me some BRIGHT LIGHTS!), but I also want a light to wear around my neck at all times. I have worn my Draco and my Lummi Wee, and a fauxton, and now my Photon Rex... and the main thing is that I want something very small and very light that also looks sort of nice. I am thinking of this as basically a fauxton--but one that is beautiful, durable, and stylish. So that's why I'm going to get this. As I've said, my TiFli is gorgeous but it's still a little chunky and the round shape means that it can dig into my chest/neck in the worst way at times (like doing pushups, of if my kids jump on my back).

My wish list for this light's future version:
-Waterproof
-Rechargeable
-Lock on switch capability

The idea of using a Nano battery is brilliant...

Thanks applevision.

A quick update...

I received some prototypes of the Core Ti today.
A good start but I still feel they need some work, revision.

Current lumen output look to be <1lumen at most, though thats just the choice of crappy led for now, as we are focused on the body at this stage.
Of course, I couldn't help myself so I filed down a brighter 5mm and stuck it in one of the proto's and its immediately brighter.
Still seems much less brighter than the high mode on my inova micro (photon type of thing).

I hotwired the CR1616 to an XPE Q5 and I think that beats out the Inova.
The XPE is tiny enough that it might just fit into the current size.

In a dark room, the current proto version led is ok, but with some ambient light, its only useful for close range.
Not to worried about that as its easy enough to boost the lumens, suggestions welcomed of course.

Im also contemplating doing some test anodizing on one, in the name of science, but at the same time,
its kind of a momentus occasion for me personally with these first protos, so not sure I want to accidentally butcher any of them in the process, but more than anything, having enough time to take a shot at the anodizing will be the deciding factor.
(if I sound like Im going a little crazy, I am :D )

Internals are currently fairly simple (a little too simple), but its just the proto so that will be handled too.

Will post some photo's and more details at latest over the weekend (and possibly send out a mail update too).

In case you haven't been following the Torpedo,
I just posted this comparison photo there a short while ago,
the Core Ti is way over on the right...

torpedo-comparison1s.jpg

Left to right:
HID Palight, Olight M30, Solarforce L2M, Lumapower Mini VX, XENO E03, JetBeam BC10, MBI Torpedo [proto]
Lummi Raw, AAA Battery, Lummi Wee, MBI Core Ti [proto]

Thanks for the all feedback and advice,
tgwnn :candle:

Cataract

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started reading this thread after following on the torpedo for so long.

Do you think it would be possible to have a hold for momentary and quick click for on/off?

I was thinking that, since this is a nice piece of jewelery, there should be a way to insert our favorite gem/semi-precious stone on the back :grin2: Of course, the problem with that is that unless this is done from the factory (which would be expensive for everyone) it would have to be a somewhat standard size insert, which would make the finding and the purchase of said stone a little more complicated (but not for those who have access to the proper equipment :D ) This could definitely add a lot to the finished product and give the user a very personnalised look.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I just started reading this thread after following on the torpedo for so long.

Do you think it would be possible to have a hold for momentary and quick click for on/off?

I was thinking that, since this is a nice piece of jewelery, there should be a way to insert our favorite gem/semi-precious stone on the back :grin2: Of course, the problem with that is that unless this is done from the factory (which would be expensive for everyone) it would have to be a somewhat standard size insert, which would make the finding and the purchase of said stone a little more complicated (but not for those who have access to the proper equipment :D ) This could definitely add a lot to the finished product and give the user a very personnalised look.

Hi again :)

regarding click & momentary:
kaichu_dento has suggested that, and it makes sense, just not sure if I can get that done in version 1.

inserting a stone:
there is always a way....

actually my wife asked if she could design a sparkly version (with some swarovsky's or similar) earlier this evening.

In the current proto's the body casing is only 0.3mm Ti.
We are going to push it to 0.4mm to make it a touch more robust as I think its a little too thin at present.

The button at present requires only a small amount of movement (travel) to be activated as there just isn't much room to spare in terms of width, but I have found a decent SMD switch under 0.4mm thin, that might work but I'm not sure it can do momentary & click.

tgwnn

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
regarding click & momentary:
kaichu_dento has suggested that, and it makes sense, just not sure if I can get that done in version 1.

The button at present requires only a small amount of movement (travel) to be activated as there just isn't much room to spare in terms of width, but I have found a decent SMD switch under 0.4mm thin, that might work but I'm not sure it can do momentary & click.
If you have an HDS Clicky setup with momentary activation, that's exactly what a lot of us are used to.

Going back to the appearance, I think it would be able to be designed specifically with aesthetics in mind if the button was done away with and the top just flexed a little. Not only cleaner in appearance, but less expensive to make, less pieces to assemble, less access for water and dust to get in.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
If you have an HDS Clicky setup with momentary activation, that's exactly what a lot of us are used to.

Going back to the appearance, I think it would be able to be designed specifically with aesthetics in mind if the button was done away with and the top just flexed a little. Not only cleaner in appearance, but less expensive to make, less pieces to assemble, less access for water and dust to get in.

Thanks Kaichu,

Understand the forward clicky concept like the HDS.
I have managed to find a fairly low profile 2 position switch, though its 0.9mm, so depending on final adjustments, that may add 0.5mm to the total thickness (not really noticeable) on V2.

Actually because the current proto is so thin, I can turn the light on by pressing the area between the (above the) button and the hole.

tgwnn

flex76italy

Enlightened

tgwnn

Hello tgwnn,

for the switch, i think the same used in the spark SD6 will be fine, it's very very thin. Get in touch with xyber to know the model number.

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello tgwnn,

for the switch, i think the same used in the spark SD6 will be fine, it's very very thin. Get in touch with xyber to know the model number.

Hi flex,

Thanks so much for the suggestion.

As far as I can tell the Spark's I've seen use a single action switch, similar to the ones in the Zebralights.
push for on/off, hold to change mode, and quick double push to get strobe, etc.
They come as thin as 0.4mm.

Im looking for something that has 2 positions, similar to the switches in a digital camera.
half press to focus, full press to shoot.
The switch actually has 2 physical positions (poles).

So far, I've found one with 2 positions at 0.9mm thin but hoping for something thinner.

Please let me know if I'm mistaken about the SD6 though.

tgwnn

Zeruel

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find Spark's button a tad too soft. If similar traits are applied to MBI Core Ti, the off chance for accidental activation is higher. Not sure about the rest, but I might find it tedious to explain everytime someone gasps whilst pointing at my glowing chest... It'll expose my identity as Iron Man.

:p

mp101

Newly Enlightened
Looking forward to this, shiny black ti would be nice, and a slide switch would be ok

Is it possible to some trits? Guess that's ramping the price up though?

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I find Spark's button a tad too soft. If similar traits are applied to MBI Core Ti, the off chance for accidental activation is higher. Not sure about the rest, but I might find it tedious to explain everytime someone gasps whilst pointing at my glowing chest... It'll expose my identity as Iron Man.

:p
Thanks for the feedback.

This and this and this are sufficently thinner?....hope this help your searching!
Great help!!
Thank you

Looking forward to this, shiny black ti would be nice, and a slide switch would be ok

Is it possible to some trits? Guess that's ramping the price up though?

Not sure about color options, or If I can offer them.

I did do a quick experiment this morning,
anodizing the button......

CoreTi-goldbutton.jpg

Looks nicer than the photo,
I may change the color of the button when I have a little more time,
but the anodizing is easy enough for anyone to do at home and only takes a few minutes.

tgwnn

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
...similar to the ones in the Zebralights.
push for on/off, hold to change mode, and quick double push to get strobe, etc.
They come as thin as 0.4mm.

Im looking for something that has 2 positions, similar to the switches in a digital camera.
half press to focus, full press to shoot.
The switch actually has 2 physical positions (poles).
I like both ideas and sense that you'll end up making an elegant choice for all of us, but if you could make a wider range of easily accessed options, I for one would like it a lot!

the_guy_with_no_name

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like both ideas and sense that you'll end up making an elegant choice for all of us, but if you could make a wider range of easily accessed options, I for one would like it a lot!

Thanks kaichu as always.

Yes, I agree options are always great.

I really would love to offer all of them but its a fine balancing act between resource & demand on my end (I hope you can understand that). I want to get to a version 1 that is worthy of everyone's feedback and time, and then build on that to something even better still going forward.
So all the feedback from everybody here (as with Torpedo) helps to shape and improve the final product.

tgwnn

p.s. planning to update the survey over the w/e
p.p.s will publish early results in the first Core Ti mail update too

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Options are always nice but keeping it simple and straight forward has it's advantages.

Indecisive person like myself would go nuts!! :)