• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McE2S 2-level tailcaps are indeed still useful!

bald1

Enlightened
I always adhered to the guidance Don provided to me in this old thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...of-McE2S-with-P60-or-Pila-3-7v-LA-problematic. So my pair of McE2S-60 tailcaps (one guarded, the other built in a Z52) remained matched with LEDs. In my case McLux heads (one a PR-HA with a TWAK/DB750 pill; the other an EN with TV1J/DB916). But recently I got the itch to upgrade some of my other incandescent Surefires to LED. I ended up selecting XR-E R2 single mode drop-ins for my G2Z, G2 (with G2Z head and Garrity clickie mod), as well as a "legoed" L4 sporting a DSpeck E2C adapter and Z32 (M2) shock absorbing head. (As an aside I am NOT experiencing heat issues with the Nilotron units so configured.) The later was the one that prompted my query to Don all those years ago. Now with the LED P60 drop-in, I could swap the Z57 clickie for the McE2S-60 guarded switch. Works like a champ! Love having the hi-lo option on this torch :)

Here's a snapshot showing the McLux and Surefires before the LED upgrades and parts re-arrangement. Still think it a shame the McE2S tailcaps were discontinued back in '06 or so.

Torches_2013_Rev.jpg

Last edited:

bald1

Enlightened
Well having been away from here for a good number of years, I've missed a lot. LED technology has advanced significantly. More to the point, key history I've been unaware of. Just in case I'm not alone for those reading here, I found Don's explanation in Jim Sexton's S3 vs PD thread http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...l-the-3S-lights-have-surpassed-the-PD-lights/ Specifically Don wrote in that thread's post #13:

"After playing more with SF mods as well as a fair amount of time playing with the Pelican M6 platform the desire for a 2 stage E series tailcap became my focus and as a result I came up with what I think was one of my best design solutions to date, the McE2S switch. (As an aside I had given up on a clickie module for the E-series tail caps after looking into the tooling costs). Also in the works at the time of the McE2S was the Aleph series of lights which really leveraged the open platform of E series compatibility and I was certainly not alone in the CPF community in designing and building modules and components and championing this modular group.

At some point along the way I was informed that my McE2S was likely an infringement on the SF 2 stage tail cap and I heeded this information by attempting to come up with some other means of similar 2 stage UI but completely different in mechanics and removed from the tail cap (I felt my McE2S was significantly different in design to the SF 2 level tail cap but it was a 2 level tail cap and the idea of using a resistor to give the two stages was certainly also a credit to SF). As a result of this new design goal, the PD was born. "

That explains why the McE2S disappeared :)

euroken

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any Malkoff plus McE2S...perfect two level combination.

I wish there were more 2 level resistored tailcaps available, for e-series AND SF C series tails...

I always adhered to the guidance Don provided to me in this old thread: http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...of-McE2S-with-P60-or-Pila-3-7v-LA-problematic. So my pair of McE2S-60 tailcaps (one guarded, the other built in a Z52) remained matched with LEDs. In my case McLux heads (one a PR-HA with a TWAK/DB750 pill; the other an EN with TV1J/DB916). But recently I got the itch to upgrade some of my other incandescent Surefires to LED. I ended up selecting XR-E R2 single mode drop-ins for my G2Z, G2 (with G2Z head and Garrity clickie mod), as well as a "legoed" L4 sporting a DSpeck E2C adapter and Z32 (M2) shock absorbing head. (As an aside I am NOT experiencing heat issues with the Nilotron units so configured.) The later was the one that prompted my query to Don all those years ago. Now with the LED P60 drop-in, I could swap the Z57 clickie for the McE2S-60 guarded switch. Works like a champ! Love having the hi-lo option on this torch :)

Here's a snapshot showing the McLux and Surefires before the LED upgrades and parts re-arrangement. Still think it a shame the McE2S tailcaps were discontinued back in '06 or so.

Torches_2013_Rev.jpg