• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo - 2018

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Even though Don is certainly not the man to easily give into peer pressure, I keep popping into this conversation to see if maybe all the interest in a new (and more importantly available to those who weren't around) LunaSol flashlight might get some traction.

That definitely constitutes a Grail light.

"So come on Don, all the cool kids are doing it..."

easilyled

Flashaholic
There certainly appears to be a significant and willing niche for the LunaSols that were the 1st custom lights to offer the 2 differing beam types in one light. I loved my LunaSol 27 and am sure that with the combination of XPL-HI and Yuji emitters, this would be a fantastic offering once again. ;)

DavidRZ

Newly Enlightened
Still finding time to take some photos Don? Seems it has been a while since you shared any with us. How was this years whale watching season?

MikeSalt

Flashlight Enthusiast
I would just like to thank Don for staying true to the hobby. Take one look at the various Facebook groups and they're awash with lights, if you pardon my ignorance, that look like reheated Mac EDC or Tri-EDC lights with niche materials chosen for style over substance, some (albeit nice) fancy machining detail on the surface, garish clips that look like they would snag every garment in a 5ft radius and a four-figure price tag. Don has stayed true to materials that are demonstrably good for flashlights, a function-driven form, clips that simply work and prices that have barely changed for as long as I have been on CPF.

GoVegan

Enlightened
Don, so what's your own personal EDC light(s) these days? i.e. what exact LED, Converter/LightEngine, Head and Battery Pak are you carrying. Also how about for your keychain too. Lastly what make batteries are you using in these lights.
Very curious about this and I figured your reply might help some of us with deciding on options.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Don, so what's your own personal EDC light(s) these days? i.e. what exact LED, Converter/LightEngine, Head and Battery Pak are you carrying. Also how about for your keychain too. Lastly what make batteries are you using in these lights.
Very curious about this and I figured your reply might help some of us with deciding on options.

I always have a Sapphire with High CRI LED on my keyring in my pocket and have a Mule HIVE Nichia119V HiC on 1xAA pak clipped in my front pocket. I use the AW protected 14500 Li-Ion battery in the Mule and the energizer lithium primary AAA in the Sapphire. For a number of years I was carrying the SunDrop High CRI on 1x123 with 3S converter. With the HIVE's power, I have found that I am good with the Mule flood as it can reach out for me needs on the turbo when I am outside but usually I am on the low or medium (middle 2) settings. I have reflector lights in my cars, boat and by front and back door in the event of needing something with throw but that is the exception and not often. LOL I got past using a light to see what it could do about the time we went from Luxeons to Seoul and then Cree. I use my Mule often but strictly for the light it puts out. It seems with enough lumens, the tendency for most people is to go for flood over spot beams. The triple and quad pocket melters are a case in point I would think. I am not sure my use of lights is typical or at least in sync with some of expressed interest in lights I see and read these days. For me the light is a tool. It can be expensive and the best I possibly can make it but still a tool. I think cosmetics can have real appeal and I admit to downplaying cosmetics in order to keep focus on function and reliability. Provided function and reliability are not compromised, making lights pretty or cool looking is great provide the added expense is acceptable. I have gone beyond the questions asked here so I'll stop now. It's just a bit frustrating when I get queries about my lights and the questions and comments are focused on how the light looks and not how it works.....

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
I always have a Sapphire with High CRI LED on my keyring in my pocket and have a Mule HIVE Nichia119V HiC on 1xAA pak clipped in my front pocket. I use the AW protected 14500 Li-Ion battery in the Mule and the energizer lithium primary AAA in the Sapphire. For a number of years I was carrying the SunDrop High CRI on 1x123 with 3S converter. With the HIVE's power, I have found that I am good with the Mule flood as it can reach out for me needs on the turbo when I am outside but usually I am on the low or medium (middle 2) settings. I have reflector lights in my cars, boat and by front and back door in the event of needing something with throw but that is the exception and not often. LOL I got past using a light to see what it could do about the time we went from Luxeons to Seoul and then Cree. I use my Mule often but strictly for the light it puts out. It seems with enough lumens, the tendency for most people is to go for flood over spot beams. The triple and quad pocket melters are a case in point I would think. I am not sure my use of lights is typical or at least in sync with some of expressed interest in lights I see and read these days. For me the light is a tool. It can be expensive and the best I possibly can make it but still a tool. I think cosmetics can have real appeal and I admit to downplaying cosmetics in order to keep focus on function and reliability. Provided function and reliability are not compromised, making lights pretty or cool looking is great provide the added expense is acceptable. I have gone beyond the questions asked here so I'll stop now. It's just a bit frustrating when I get queries about my lights and the questions and comments are focused on how the light looks and not how it works.....

I'm stunned you don't run an Eneloop? That's just shocking to me.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
I'm stunned you don't run an Eneloop? That's just shocking to me.

I would if I had one. I have a couple eneloop AA's but never got any AAA's. I love the shelf life of the Energizer lithiums. I have lost so many expensive tools to leaky alkalines that I keep a good stock of Lithium AA and AAA for tools and devices that may sit for months or longer between use. I just grab one of these once or twice a year for my Sapphire when I need it.

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Hey Don :wave:
I was a bit surprised to see that you were running a 14500 in a AA clicky pak. Is that because the mule head with the 123 clicky pak was too short for your hand?

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hey Don :wave:
I was a bit surprised to see that you were running a 14500 in a AA clicky pak. Is that because the mule head with the 123 clicky pak was too short for your hand?

The 1xAA pak is better in my hand than the 1x123 and that was part of the motivation. I also clip the light on the outside of my shorts sometimes and the smaller diameter AA pak means I am a bit less likely to bump the light when maneuvering in tight quarters. There is not a real big difference but definitely when clipped inside my front pocket the smaller diameter makes it easier for my hand to get past the light and down to other treasures. I decided to give the 1xAA pak a try and found I preferred it. The 14500 and 13240 I use both are rated at 750 mAh so stored energy and run time should be the same.

EDIT: I meant to type 16340 and not 13240?!?

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic
I feel the same way. I love the AA Pak on my Haiku. Very comfortable to use.

Warmcopper123

Newly Enlightened
Don I think your lights have always achieved the perfect blend of Function/form which to me is such a difficult thing to obtain but when you get there its amazing.

You have achieved this in your lights. I truly don't understand how anyone could be asking for more than whats available?

InvisibleFrodo

Enlightened
Don I think your lights have always achieved the perfect blend of Function/form which to me is such a difficult thing to obtain but when you get there its amazing.

You have achieved this in your lights. I truly don't understand how anyone could be asking for more than whats available?

Think of the poor souls who own all of the McGizmo lights... What do they do now that there isn't another light to purchase? Haha.

How about those who weren't around for some of Don's older light designs?

The PD mules and the lunasol lights are both something I missed out on because I wasn't around CPF back then, but I sure do think they look to be wonderful light designs that I would love to be able to get my hands on.

Although I do have to admit with the various heads, bodies, and emitter options, the McGizmo lights are wonderfully adaptable to various situations and use scenarios.

If you own 2 or 3 McGizmo lights with different bodies, the heads can be swapped witch sorta gives you several more lights...

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi, can anyone tell me where to look for information on the number of modes,
their size (lumens) and the presence of memory in LE 6V?
For some reason, I can not find it :shakehead

desert.snake

Flashlight Enthusiast
archimedes Thank you!

I have already read this thread, most likely I did not correctly write the question,
forgive me please. I see that the 6V driver works in a regulation of 4 to 9 volts,
but I was trying to find information about another. I better give an example:
On Mr. Malkoff's site, some multi-mode flashlights have something like a description,
that is, how control is implemented, what brightness modes exist and other.

The website of the HDS and HDS thread here also contains information on output levels
and a flashlight control system.

If I'm not mistaken, all the drivers on McGizmo flashlights have some kind of control,
with which they are supplied. Unfortunately, my abilities do not allow me to find it yet,
so I asked for help.

The only thing I found is the levels for 119, 119V and XP-G for 3-volt drivers here
http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb...2-vs-119V-vs&p=4720221&viewfull=1#post4720221
but without the indication of lumens, and here is the same, but with the directions of lumens
https://www.edcforums.com/threads/mcgizmo-haiku-beam-shots-xp-g2-nichia-119-nichia-119v.130473/

It was vey useful information, but it refers to a 3 volt driver (if I'm not mistaken), I would like
to know what levels of lumens give the driver 6B with diodes 119V and XM-L, but I can not find it.
It would very much help me in choosing. If for some reason (I do not even know)
this is classified information, then please write me a PM about brightness levels 119V
and XM-L/XM-L2 with LE 6V. I also wrote to Mr. McGizmo a letter to electrical mail
with the same question, but so far there is no answer.

I have an idea that the LE 6V will produce the same number of lumens with 119V,
as in the above link, but just with a longer runtime, but this is just an unsupported thought,
I would really like to know this from the owners flashlights in this configuration or Mr. McGizmo
if possible.

I understand that I have a very bad writing language, so maybe you me often do not understand
or understand not completely, I try to convey the message clearly, but unfortunately,
this does not always work, I apologize for this.

Last edited: