• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Standing wave of Sapphire 25's , GS and now High CRI

emu124

Enlightened
Re: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's

Received my Sapphire 25 yesterday.
Again a very nice light from Don.
First I had concerns about the "only 5 lumens" :ohgeez::shakehead
No way, this AAA-light does the job very well, is absolutely bright enough for it's purpose and it has such an amazing even beam, or actually flood I've never seen from a AAA-sized light before :twothumbs
I call it the bonsai-mule-beam :D

Thanks Don

helf

Newly Enlightened

Thought I'd check back in right quick.

So far, the Sapphire 25 has held up to 2 months of abuse on my keyring and two sets of batteries without so much as a hiccup! Fantastic light. It has survived some very hard falls to concrete with nothing but a few scratches. Great light. I'd buy another if I wasn't broke again :)

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I edited the first post in this thread with info about an addition of the Sapphire GS to the offering. Basically now you can request the Sapphire 25 that comes with the Nichia 310DS 3 mm LED which is a cool white temperature. Or you can request the Sapphire GS which is host to a 5 mm Nichia GS LED of warm color temperature.

Last edited:

mattp

Enlightened
That's great about the GS Don, I've been holding off on a Sapphire until after I get a SunDrop, but this may push it to the top of the list! Cheers, Matt

blackbalsam

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's + NEW GS

Don I received the Sapphire GS today, what a great little EDC. just put a QTC in it....PERFECT...THANKS...Robert.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don - my Sapphire GS just arrived. So perfect. I had my prior Sapphire modified with a 'yellowish' LED and it was too yellow - this little GS warm appears, to my eyes at last, closer to neutral and it's PERFECT. Such a nice, even, Sundrop type beam. I love it.

Thank you!
PicasaUp.jpg

iPhone pics...sorry - Fenix E01 left - Sapphire GS right
PicasaUp.jpg

Last edited:

nbp

Flashaholic

How much for the moth? I assume shipping is still the standard small flat rate box price??

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
I have received a couple comments from folks getting these that they could be warmer to meet their desire. The bin of these GS is a lower color temp than that of the 310DS I have been using and to my old eyes appears obviously warmer than the 310DS. But perhaps these are neutral and not warm. My bad. As much as possible I have tried to avoid, and certainly not cater to, the subjective issues of bin, tint and cosmetics in my offerings. I appreciate the importance of these issues to many of us and do hope to be forthcoming and disclose what I can in regards to my offerings and how they might be viewed or perceived in these regards. I personally consider the GS to be of a warm color temp relative to the "standard" Sapphire but perhaps it is simply neutral. :shrug: I opened a door (which I regret) when I offered some Haiku XP-G's in a warm option. I had some concerns about tint and color temp with these GS LED's but they are a more efficient LED with comparable flux to the DS and worth consideration on those merits alone. I assumed being warmer would be acceptable if not preferable, to many of you. If they aren't warm enough then so be it and please take that into account. :duck:

nbp,
The moth flew away after posing for me and I promised it no harm would come of it which would probably include selling it off. :nana:

Blue72

Flashlight Enthusiast

iPhone pics...sorry - Fenix E01 left - Sapphire GS right
PicasaUp.jpg

Wow, it seems there is no blue or purple hotspot the nichia GS are known for. Is this a new generation of Nichia?

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Wow, it seems there is no blue or purple hotspot the nichia GS are known for. Is this a new generation of Nichia?

It is my understanding that this GS is a new generation, yes.

run4jc

Flashlight Enthusiast

It is a beautiful, mule like beam - nice tint, even lighting, and as been said over and over, 5 lumen may not seem like much, but in a dark house with adjusted vision, it's quite amazing!

nbp

Flashaholic
Darn. That moth was so cool. You always have amazing little creatures in your pics Don. Baby skinks, cool moths, frog fish, turtles, women in bikinis.... :sigh: Hawaii: is there anything it doesn't have?

We have had an unusually high amount of these neat little green tree frogs all over our house this year, which is really cool, I love 'em. There's one little one that keeps showing up. I know it's the same since it has a birth defect and only has one eye. When he pops up, if I have a chance I catch big ants and put them by him to eat cuz it's awesome to watch him pounce on them. We named that frog Tom, after my uncle who lost an eye in an accident at work, LOL. The accident wasn't funny, but naming the frog Tom is. If he shows up again, I'll try to get a pic for you, he's pretty cute.

Sorry for the way off topic post, haha. Ummm, Yay Haiku! Err, wait, wrong thread. Carry on. ;)

mattp

Enlightened

Email incoming with order for Sapphire GS, thanks Don!

lpygw

Newly Enlightened

Email sent for one Sapphire GS :twothumbs

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Re: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's + NEW GS ( GS temporarily out of stock 9-18-11)

Hi guys,
At this point I am out of the GS LED's for a bit. I have contacted those of you who have already sent me a request for one. I'll post here again when the Sapphire GS is again available and sorry for the out of stock situation. :duck:

mattp

Enlightened
Re: Standing wave of Sapphire 25's + NEW GS ( GS temporarily out of stock 9-18-11)

Hi guys,
At this point I am out of the GS LED's for a bit. I have contacted those of you who have already sent me a request for one. I'll post here again when the Sapphire GS is again available and sorry for the out of stock situation. :duck:

Phew, just scraped in! I put off buying one of these for as long as I could, lucky I had that moment of weakness last night :laughing:

ibcj

Enlightened

Finally ! After weeks of regular use, I have depleted a battery. I haven't done a formal run test, but I am amazed at the runtime of the new GS led at the current drive level. For a small, single aaa edc, this light is perfect for me.

McGizmo

Flashaholic

Hi guys,
Now back in the saddle with the components necessary for the Sapphire GS so they are available again. Sorry for the outage time.

As a side note, I am also offering a Sapphire with a Nichia 365 nm UV LED but I think it makes more sense to provide the details of it in the thread on UV offerings which is what I need to get done. It is a niche light to be certain and may not be of much interest to anyone.....