• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

McGizmo Standing wave of Sapphire 25's , GS and now High CRI

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
Did anything end up happening with the 3200K (45 degree beam preferably) Yuji HiCRI?

I'd have to look into getting a Sapphire if they're available.

Don has said in the past he has no intent on offering these warm tints. The CRI sapphire is awesome, mine rides on my keys. Love it.

JKolmo

Enlightened
Don has said in the past he has no intent on offering these warm tints. The CRI sapphire is awesome, mine rides on my keys. Love it.

PSM: have you owned/do you own the "regular" Sapphire GS. If so could you please just give a short comparison beween the CRI and the GS. I have a GS and find it a bit greenish not so high CRI, and was looking forward to be able to get the 3200K as an upgrade. Realizing that the 3200K probably will never happen I just might pick up a CRI instead. Does the Sapphire CRI have a nice CRI and color temp would you say? Thanks!

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast

Don mentioned that if someone sent him the LEDs he'd build with them. I was hoping that perhaps someone had sent him a bunch and there might be some left over.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
PSM: have you owned/do you own the "regular" Sapphire GS. If so could you please just give a short comparison beween the CRI and the GS. I have a GS and find it a bit greenish not so high CRI, and was looking forward to be able to get the 3200K as an upgrade. Realizing that the 3200K probably will never happen I just might pick up a CRI instead. Does the Sapphire CRI have a nice CRI and color temp would you say? Thanks!

I might just get the 5600K myself.
The GS has a fairly low CRI, I don't have one or the Yuji but by all reports it will be a big upgrade in tint and CRI.
I can understand Don aiming for a day light match, I'm sure the 5600K are really nice. The 3200K would be nice and cosy though considering the output etc.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Hi guys,
I got caught short and was out of the Sapphire sets for a couple weeks but am now back in offering them. And I want to add that Greg Barra has sent me some of the Yuji 3200K 45 degree LED's so while supply lasts, I am adding them as a choice. I built one sample to compare to the 5600K 60 degree that I am building with and to the naked eye, these 3200K are definitely warmer than I like but seem to be similar in lux to the 5600K and likely due to being a smaller angle so more intense, distribution of light. The lumens would be less and I am not going to bother trying to measure with my integrating sphere since it is questionable at this point anyway. But for you guys who want warm and good CRI, there is now this option. You can thank Greg!!

bmstrong

Flashlight Enthusiast
Am I the only one who would love to see a Sapphire AA?

SAPPHIRE.jpg

Even though it will never happen I really like this thought.

greatscoot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi guys,
I got caught short and was out of the Sapphire sets for a couple weeks but am now back in offering them. And I want to add that Greg Barra has sent me some of the Yuji 3200K 45 degree LED's so while supply lasts, I am adding them as a choice. I built one sample to compare to the 5600K 60 degree that I am building with and to the naked eye, these 3200K are definitely warmer than I like but seem to be similar in lux to the 5600K and likely due to being a smaller angle so more intense, distribution of light. The lumens would be less and I am not going to bother trying to measure with my integrating sphere since it is questionable at this point anyway. But for you guys who want warm and good CRI, there is now this option. You can thank Greg!!

Are these still available with the 3200K LED as an option?

Nimitz68

Enlightened
I have just discovered this thread. Is it still possible to order a High CRI Sapphire GS for $150.00? If so, which LED options are available, as there appear to be more than one. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all!

Last edited:

Vemice

Enlightened
I have just discovered this thread. Is it still possible to order a High CRI Sapphire GS for $150.00? If so, which LED options are available, as there appear to be more than one. Thanks, and Merry Christmas to all!

Merry Christmas to you too.
Pretty sure he has both 3200K and 5600K options. Best to send him an email. Debating on a third myself. Great fun little lights.

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Yes, both the 3200 and 5600 K Yuji LED's are available in the Sapphire. Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all of you guys!

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
I will say this, I've got quite a few other AAA key ring lights, and this is definitely the most beautiful. I think what's going to make it so useful is that the beam pattern is simply perfect for this application, being a lovely large spot of low level light.

However, I did find the beam tint to be a bit on the cyanish side for my taste, so I've ended up placing a "Pale Rose" filter over the front glass, which is not unusual for me, as I've filtered every light I own.

Vemice

Enlightened
I will say this, I've got quite a few other AAA key ring lights, and this is definitely the most beautiful. I think what's going to make it so useful is that the beam pattern is simply perfect for this application, being a lovely large spot of low level light.

However, I did find the beam tint to be a bit on the cyanish side for my taste, so I've ended up placing a "Pale Rose" filter over the front glass, which is not unusual for me, as I've filtered every light I own.

Which version do you have? I have the 25 and High CRI 5600K and both are fine. The 25 has wider beam but very nice (to keep). Still contemplating the warmer High CRI.

Derek Dean

Flashlight Enthusiast
Which version do you have? I have the 25 and High CRI 5600K and both are fine. The 25 has wider beam but very nice (to keep). Still contemplating the warmer High CRI.
I have the High CRI 5600, but tint is SO subjective, and I tend to prefer a slightly rosy tint, which is why I've always had to filter my lights.

It's quite possible that other folks would find the original tint perfectly acceptable, but I just happen to be overly picky, so I've found that I'm typically happiest when I get a light with a High CRI LED and then filter it to my taste. It's SO easy to do that there really is no reason not to.

You might ask why I didn't just get the 3200 version? Well, 5600 is only slightly cooler than I typically like (around 4500-5000), while 3200 is quite far into the warm realm, and I've found from experience that it's typically easier to start from the cool end and filter to taste rather than starting from the warm end.

Let me stress again that i LOVE this little jewel of a light. The beam shape and size are perfect as far as I'm concerned. It was just that the tint was a bit cool for my taste, so I fixed that quickly and easily (took about 10 minutes), and now I'm happy as a clam :D.

Last edited: