MDs Lithium-Ion > Incandescent guide + compatability/comparison chart

cernobila

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: Mdocod's Lithium-Ion>Incandecent guide

mdocod said:
thanks for the flow of kind words everyone!

cernobila:
HO-9 >18650s = ~12.5W, ~75min
EO-9 >18650s = ~15.5W, ~60min

my usual disclaimer is that this is a ballpark figure.

In my experience, the EO-9 doesn't seem all that much brighter than an HO-9 in use, and an HO-9 doesn't seem all that much brighter than a G90/P90 type lamp in actual use.(even though there it is a decent step in oomf, eyes play tricks on us) anything above 10W pushing ~25 lumen/w at the bulb does a great job outdoors for most tasks.

Thanks for that, much appreciated, I think I will go with the HO-9 for the extra run time when out camping......

mdocod

Flashaholic
Re: Mdocod's Lithium-Ion>Incandecent guide

I just added a D26 compatibility chart.

Hopefully I'll have the motivation to do a turbo-head chart, with all the Leaf/SF and WE combinations available. My typing is burning out, lol..[edit in] Turbohead configuration chart added!!!! But still probably needs a lot of work. Need input, lol.

Last edited:

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic
Re: MDs Lithium-Ion>Incandecent guide, +compatability/comparison chart

WOW! I made a couple comments in that other thread about this guide. Thanks again.

benighted

Enlightened

Wow! Nice guide. I wish I had this to refer to when I was getting started with Li-ions. This thread should be made sticky:goodjob:

alantch

Enlightened

I'm just getting into turbo heads, incan bulbs and li-ions and find this guide the absolute best, especially on the different battery combinations, bulbs and runtimes. Fantastic writeup mdocod! This should be sticky.

mdocod

Flashaholic

I hurt my back some terrible about 2 weeks ago, so I've continued to pick at this guide lately, adding things, changing things... I've got way too much free time, I can't lift anything, so I can't work.

As it is right now, I wouldn't consider the turbo head section really all that well and done, I need some of our experienced members in this area to give a hand here. Especially about the compatibility of some of the G&P parts with SF parts. If someone experienced with these configurations could review and pick out errors (I'm sure here are errors) or think of anything to add, I would really appreciate it.

I'm *thinking* about going through an putting a *confirmed* tag next to configurations that someone says they actually have working, or know for sure would work, and leaving other configurations "unconfirmed" or "experimental" or something, does this sound like a good idea?

LuxLuthor

Flashaholic

mdocod said:
I'm *thinking* about going through an putting a *confirmed* tag next to configurations that someone says they actually have working, or know for sure would work, and leaving other configurations "unconfirmed" or "experimental" or something, does this sound like a good idea?

Absolutely! Always good to know what is confirmed vs. theoretical. Thanks again for all this.

DM51

Flashaholic

Mdocod, that is terrific work! It will be invaluable source material for people trying to work through the maze of sizes, specifications etc. Now we will know exactly where to tell people where to look for answers!

sween1911

Flashlight Enthusiast

I've got to pile on here, this thread is FANTASTIC! Thank you so much for the time and effort. I've been pondering rechargeable solutions for so long, the different combinations are mind boggling. This is an excellent resource.

defusion

Enlightened

Here's another set of options:

2x17670

bodies:
surefire m3 + 1cell extender, with MN10 or MN11 (confirmed)
surefire m3t/m3 with kt4 + 1 cell extender, with MN15 or MN16
surefire m4 with MN15 or MN16

i'll leave the lumen/runtime rating to you ;)

2x17500 surefire m3 with MN10 is also confirmed.
MN11 needs double tap on 17500's so this shouldn't be considered safe.

mdocod

Flashaholic

thankyou for the additional kind words sween! much apreciated!

Defusion: thankyou for the additional configurations... I have the M3 (non-turbo) config with 17500s listed already under "other flashlights" since it doesn't really fall in the D26 nor "turbo" configs.. but I totally neglected the M3+extenders and heads options... I knew I would leave some stuff out, keep em coming!!! thankyou for taking the time to read through and help out! I'll try to get them added as soon as possible. [edit in: configs added, thanks!]

Last edited:

Pellidon

Flashlight Enthusiast

I have been playing with a Browning 2xAA xenon body with two 14500 cells and a Gerber lamp for the RX1050 Xenon Torch. It is a 9 volt Lithium light so the cells do it just fine. I measured about 4500 lux last night and it draws about 1.12 amps on fresh cells.

Proto-tipo

Newly Enlightened

Mdocod for President !!! :goodjob:

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened

Great post.

Is this a safe configuration? G&P G140 (D26 14V) with 4 X RCR123. It does work without instaflashing and is at least as bright as the G&P 12V version with 3 x RCR123 which you have estimated at 280L. I have not been able to test them side by side yet (not enough RCR batteries) but have side by side tested against other combinations using primary cells. These two combinations are brighter than any other tested using Surefire/Ultrafire/G&P D26 bulbs. The nearest other configuration is the G120 (12V) with 4X CR123 primary lithiums which is noticeably brighter (subjectively)than the same 4 cells with the newer 14V bulb.

mdocod

Flashaholic

hmm... I wasn't aware that the G140 was handling 4 RCR cells. are you talking about 3.7V cells? which brand? I don't have any specifications of the lamp... if you could take a current reading through the tailcap I could tell ya more about the safety. I'm pretty sure it is under 1.5A, should be safe.

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened

Yes they are the 3.6/3.7 RCRs as sold by DX etc under the HOVET name. They are nominal 800mAH. Your question forced me to look up how to measure the current draw (thanks) which is 1.27 amp. So this is under the 2C draw which I assume is safe according the information you provided earlier.

The suggestion to try 4 X RCR123 with this 14V bulb was made by several people including FiveMega in an earlier thread.

mdocod

Flashaholic

awsom.... that sounds safe to me, and will work in a ton of 4 cell body configurations, so I'll add it to the list as soon as i have a chance! (later on today)

1 question... on 4 cells, how WHITE is it? does it appear blazing white, like whiter than the G120 on 4 CR123s by a long shot? or is it pretty comparable to other lamps?

Last edited: