MDs Lithium-Ion > Incandescent guide + compatability/comparison chart

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened
Re: MDs Lithium-Ion>Incandecent guide, +compatability/comparison chart

It (the G140 with 4 x RCRs) is noticeably whiter and brighter than a G120 with 4 x primary cells. I'm not sure that I would describe it as "blazing" but certainly it's a worthwhile improvement. It doesn't appear to be on the verge of self destruction and it works fresh off charger. As an aside I just saw that QCG lists the 502D (4 cell) Ultrafire as suitable for rechargeables. I presume that this is the G140 lamp assembly so the factory must have developed it with RCRs in mind. The G120 is no longer listed as a separate item which is a shame because it was a much better bulb for primary cells.

OzzieDoc

Newly Enlightened

Just checked the QCG website again. Definately lists the Ultrafire WF502D as a rechargeable (3.6V) based 4 cell light. However my "Wilmet" Ultrafire WF502D from Kaidomain is listed as a 12V lamp and that's what is in it.

mdocod

Flashaholic

Just made some major changes to the compatibility chart... I decided to change the way I'm calculating lumen values. The lumens are overall higher than before, these values reflect "fresh-off-the-charger" estimates. By doing this, the chart has more "resolution" than before. I've also included a system for determining which configurations are confirmed, or unconfirmed, and in between, hehe.

defusion

Enlightened

Cell configuration: 2x17670

Bulb Option:
MN10: 9.5W, 80 min, 155 lumen
MN11: 9.5W, 80 min, 155 lumen

Body Option:
SureFire M3 + 1 cell extender ++(some extenders fit 17mm cells, some don't)

I believe you made a mistake there. MN11 should be quite a bit brighter ;)

mdocod

Flashaholic

yep... you caught it about the same time I did, lol... fixed :)

also made a few more adjustments... and just added the new LF M series to the chart where applicable... check for errors though, if something looks way outa wack, let me know... (like the MN10.MN11 error there, copy/paste errors)

jimjones3630

Flashlight Enthusiast

Over the last week I've found myself back rearching this thread and it's alot of work you have done here.

Cheers for the hard work. I have a SF M3 which I haven't used for some time since only used primaries in it. Now there are a few other options which look praticularly interesting.

Thanks, Jim

mdocod

Flashaholic

I just had an idea. a web page, that lets you start by selecting either a body, a bulb, or a battery configuration, and working your way to a final compatible configuration.... I have no idea how to do this... but I think I might go brush up on my HTML(it's been years!) and see if it's reasonable.

Glen C

Enlightened

Mdocod, maybe a chart in the meantime, easier to work out. Just put all the flashlights in groups like 2 cell CR123 could be WE Sniper, Surefire 6P, etc then 3 cell would be WE Raider, 9P, C3, etc. Would be simple to read, then people just work out what lumens/runtime they want.

People with extenders could adjust the group they were in, as most with extenders know what they have. Also some sections for different bulbs like Surefire M series flashlights, etc

defusion

Enlightened

mdocod said:
I just had an idea. a web page, that lets you start by selecting either a body, a bulb, or a battery configuration, and working your way to a final compatible configuration.... I have no idea how to do this... but I think I might go brush up on my HTML(it's been years!) and see if it's reasonable.
Don't think just HTML would do. You need some kind of server-side programming with a database backend. PHP with MySQL would be a good thing to brush up on ;)

DM51

Flashaholic

mdocod said:
I just had an idea. a web page, that lets you start by selecting either a body, a bulb, or a battery configuration, and working your way to a final compatible configuration...
That would be a superb resource for anyone trying to decide on a light, or just checking out whether an idea might work.

It would take a lot of work to set it up, though - and a lot more to keep up to date, too.

jumpstat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Mdocod,

There is an M2 coming this way and I have spent many hours last few days trying to figure out whats the best combination available, with pros and cons etc, when I stumbled into this thread which sums up everything I needed to know. Thank you and appreciate all your hard work in preparing the resources above. Cheers!

leukos

Flashlight Enthusiast

mdocod, excellent job in compiling this information! I asked Unforgiven to add this to his Incandescent Threads of Interest! Do you think you might add LF's E series lamps as well?

mdocod

Flashaholic

I may very well add the E series lamps soon. I'm kinda burned out atm messing with this. But I will try to add th E series, and any others I can as soon as possible.

Ganp

Enlightened

This is a really ace guide :twothumbs

That laptop video shook me up a bit :eeksign:

Colin.

defusion

Enlightened

mdocod, what about running 6v bulbs on 1 li-ion?
What kind of runtimes/output could one expect?

I put one in my sf g2 with a P60, and it worked. Less bright, but very usable still.

mdocod

Flashaholic

it's doable, it under-drives lamps. makes poor use of energy, poor lm/w, poor color temp.

But if you wanted an example:
here's a rough idea (I'm not going to include it in the chart because I wouldn't ever recommend it)

P60 2xCR123: ~5.6W, ~60 minutes, ~90 torch lumen, ~3250K, ~24B-Lu/W
P60 1x17670: ~3.7W, ~90 minutes, ~36 torch lumen, ~2990K, ~15B-Lu/W

P61 2xCR123: ~11.3W, ~20 minutes, ~170 torch lumen, ~3250K, ~24B-Lu/W
P61 1x17670: ~8.3W, ~35 minutes, ~90 torch lumen, ~3050K, ~17B-Lu/W

about a 30% loss in efficiency with about a 50-75% loss in light, depending on what lamp you choose.

mdocod

Flashaholic

just made a few changes to the guide, facelift time!

SilverFox

Flashaholic

Hello Eric,

What started off as a few comments is turning into a book. You should publish it.

Excellent information, and it is presented very well.

Tom

CouchTater

Newly Enlightened

All this lithium talk now has me interested. Lets say I was going to ROP a 2C Maglite. Here's what I think I'd need;

> high-temp glass lens
> aluminum reflector
> upgraded switch
> Kiu socket
> Welch Allyn 1274 bulb (bi-pin, 7.2VDC, 20W)
> two 18500 rechargeable Li-ion cells
> charger
> cell "holder"

Does that make sense?

Also, for 18500s in a C-cell, what is the "gap filler"? I've found threads on using tubing to fit 123s into a C chassis, but not Li-ions.

mdocod

Flashaholic

Those parts don't make an ROP because you are using a bi-pin socket and a WA bulb... I didn't really discuss lithium mag-mods here because nearly every major mag-mod has it's own running thread with information about the build and parts needed.

I recommend a 2D mag with a 6xNIMH configuration instead. especially if you are new to the hobby, it would be much safer for a first time modder, spend some time reading up on the mag mods and lithium safety before taking the plunge. 18500s are too small to safely drive the ROP high bulb.