MDs Lithium-Ion > Incandescent guide + compatability/comparison chart

Nite

Enlightened
I set a pair of AW IMR 18650's up to run a SF MN21 to no avail -
I thought this would work - has anyone else tried this? No I didn't expect the run time to be very long, but...
Is this bulb too big a current load?

the MN21 isnt a LF IMR 1000

I agree it mustve instaflashed and u missed it.

this is why AW sells a Soft Starter. You should buy one..

What switch are you using...?
If you burned out a non twisty switch that also explains the failure if u didnt see a flash.

Theres no way a MN21 can take the sudden surge of two 18650 IMR cells. YOu can start a car with them
it was designed for Primary lithium CR123 which sag quickly.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Theres no way a MN21 can take the sudden surge of two 18650 IMR cells. YOu can start a car with them
it was designed for Primary lithium CR123 which sag quickly.

Like I've said, My Emoli cells (the same ones I jumped the car with :) ) have been running the MN21 for awhile now, no soft start, in an M6 with my battery adapter, which, has basically 0 resistance. I just always rest them, they pretty much always measure ~4.10V after 12-24 hours of resting and so far, this bulb has been fine. I have at least a couple hours on it so far.

Eric

Nite

Enlightened
Like I've said, My Emoli cells (the same ones I jumped the car with :) ) have been running the MN21 for awhile now, no soft start, in an M6 with my battery adapter, which, has basically 0 resistance. I just always rest them, they pretty much always measure ~4.10V after 12-24 hours of resting and so far, this bulb has been fine. I have at least a couple hours on it so far.

Eric

Awesome, that will save me 50 on a soft start if I can get away with it, but I dont know about a Z59, using a twisty>?

So a 37 watt lamp will handle it? i cant wait to get my Kt2 turbohead, battery junction still hasnt shipped my 12/25 order, they oversold the turbohead

VegasF6

Flashlight Enthusiast

Eric

Wow, did you literally jump a car with them? I know how much potential is in these cells, but to just think about it, vs actually seeing an example of it is probably kind of eye opening.

And I haven't looked at the M6 adapter yet, since I don't have one. Have you actually managed to achieve superconductor status??? :laughing:

Bimmerboy

Flashlight Enthusiast
I used a set of 6 Emoli cells (same chemistry) to jump start my car the other night.

Whoa! That's awesome!! 3S2P I assume? You could contract yourself out to AAA with those things.

"Hi, I'm Eric and I'm here to start your car"

"Where's your jump starter?"

*Holds up a Maglite*

mdocod

Flashaholic
Keep in mind that Emoli and AW brand LiMn cells probably have slightly different behavior off the line. As far as the bunch of discharge tests that LuxLuthor did on a number of these cells, the Emoli brand are far from being the best performers. Other brands may be more prone to pop the MN21.

-----------

VegasF6, Bimmerboy,

The full story on how I jumped the car with them can be found posted in the 2x18650 adapter sales thread... On of the lasts posts in that thread right now :)

lumenaddict

Newly Enlightened
It might have flashed the bulb... We've already had that reported. I've had luck driving the MN21 on Emoli brand cells, which may sag slightly more, and I always rest the cells for ~24 hours before using them on this bulb.

There is no such thing as "too much load" within the bulbs available that you could run on a pair of 18650s that the IMR cells couldn't handle. I used a set of 6 Emoli cells (same chemistry) to jump start my car the other night. Use a multi-meter to check that the bulb is still in-tact, and check cell voltage.

Eric

You're right about the bulb... there's no continuity. The switch is fine though.
I was so disappointed with the fact that there was no visible sign of a flash that I went out and jump started my car and... BOOOM!!!
Not really, but I'll keep your story in mind the next time the car's not crankin' over.

Thanks.

mdocod

Flashaholic
I think it's safe to say at this point that AWs IMR cells can't be used to direct drive an MN21, several reports of insta-flash now.

Timson

Enlightened
Does anyone know whether 2 x AW'S IMR26500 will instaflash a Philips 5761 or might I just about get away with it ...:devil: (2 C Mag - FM Bi-Pin adapter - No resistance fixes).

Tim.

mdocod

Flashaholic
Wit no resistance fixes you *might* get away with it..

My suggestion would be to let the cells rest ~8-12 hours to reduce the odds. In my experience, LiMn chemistry cells will settle from ~4.20V down to around 4.10V after that 8-12 hours resting.

$5 bulb, it's worth a try.

Nite

Enlightened
IMR 18500 have just come out and im wondering what are some uses for these cells?

I mean I use IMR 16340 ALOT for lights that normally use Lico large cells...

but other than LF IMR Lamps, what can I use IMR 18500 for? instead of liCO 18500

safer chemistry?

there is no PCB on IMR cells.

I posted a thread on this question but it was shut down im told this is where to post such questions and MD your best qualified to answer anyway.

Nite

Enlightened
MD, what do you think the runtime of 2x14500 and a P90 would be, I hope more than 30 minutes.

Is it true 14500 LiCO are better than RCR16340 LiCo?

Jay T

Enlightened
IMR 18500 have just come out and im wondering what are some uses for these cells?

You can put them in flashlights.

I mean I use IMR 16340 ALOT for lights that normally use Lico large cells...

but other than LF IMR Lamps, what can I use IMR 18500 for? instead of liCO 18500

You can run the P91, the FM 1794 or a WA1111, the same things you use the IMR16340s for, only with the IMR18500 the bulb will be a little brighter and run about twice as long.

safer chemistry?

there is no PCB on IMR cells.
I

The "Chemistry" is safer.

Abuse the crap out a standard LI-Ion and try to recharge it. If you abuse it enough you might be able to get some self sustaining flames from it.

With the "Safer Chemistry" all you get is a dead cell, no chance of flame.

Last edited:

Nite

Enlightened
You can run the P91, the FM 1794 or a WA1111, the same things you use the IMR16340s for, only with the IMR18500 the bulb will be a little brighter and run about twice as long.

Thats my question! Why not switch to 18500 LiCo in this setup, it will run 33% longer!

(except for safety.....I see 18500 as a step down in power, but no smaller than another 18500 LiCo...)

however it will run twice as long as 16340 if you do care about using IMR for safety reasons.

Jay T

Enlightened
Thats my question! Why not switch to 18500 LiCo in this setup, it will run 33% longer!

(except for safety.....I see 18500 as a step down in power, but no smaller than another 18500 LiCo...)

however it will run twice as long as 16340 if you do care about using IMR for safety reasons.

When you run the LiCo at a high load you will not get the full 1500 mAh from them. The voltage also drops giving you a dimmer light. Try to run a WA1111 of of two standard LiCos and they will fall flat on their face. You might get a longer runtime from th LiCo with a low drain bulb, but not with a high drain one.

Last edited:

Nite

Enlightened
When you run the LiCo at a high load you will not get the full 1500 mAh from them. The voltage also drops giving you a dimmer light. Try to run a WA1111 of of two standard LiCos and they will fall flat on their face. You might get a longer runtime from th LiCo with a low drain bulb, but not with a high drain one.

that explains why I can use those with lico 18500 without a soft start..

but wont two imr 18500 Fresh off the charger 4.19 volts each instaflash the fm1794?

i mean, without a soft start..because both imr and lico 18650 will...

Jay T

Enlightened
that explains why I can use those with lico 18500 without a soft start..

but wont two imr 18500 Fresh off the charger 4.19 volts each instaflash the fm1794?

i mean, without a soft start..because both imr and lico 18650 will...

For the 1794 on two IMR18500 you are right on the border. Using two IMR18500 with a Surefire twisty I never had a problem. Then I played Lego and moved my McClickey over and poof. I thought it was a fluke and poofed another one.