Mechanical Modding Services

troutpool

Flashlight Enthusiast
I sent a V10R Ti to Barry for etching removal and a groove mod. The light came back yesterday, and the changes made are a major improvement in this fine light. The feel and grip in the hand are quite different than before, and much better. This change is not merely cosmetic but very practical. Visually, too, the modded grooves seem more harmonious with the rest of the light. The V10R has a great UI. Now, with improved feel and structure, it will be all the more enjoyable to use. Thank you, Barry!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I sent a V10R Ti to Barry for etching removal and a groove mod. The light came back yesterday, and the changes made are a major improvement in this fine light. The feel and grip in the hand are quite different than before, and much better. This change is not merely cosmetic but very practical. Visually, too, the modded grooves seem more harmonious with the rest of the light. The V10R has a great UI. Now, with improved feel and structure, it will be all the more enjoyable to use. Thank you, Barry!
Thank you for your kind words, Bob. I totally agree about the improved feel & grip - my first impression on taking a V10R out of the carton was "this thing feels like a brick" :nana:

Some of us are fortunate enough to use McGizmo lights on a regular basis & IMO those lights set the standard for ergonomic design. The V10R will never be a McG but at least it can be made to feel better & be easier to grip.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The last light on the lathe got me thinking more about groove designs so I purchased another V10R Ti on eBay. Instead of machining it like the first image below I'm considering something more like the second image:

Image-9853934-154827077-2-Web_0_c5e19d18bb0627192b64498c9af4c943_1

Image-9853934-154903797-2-Web_0_53969a0deed42a43ff0b93d0829ba01f_1

The orange rectangles show where the ridges will remain & the space between them will be machined away. Never certain how these projects will come out but photos will be posted ... if it looks good :)

Another thought is clip attachment. I've drilled & tapped enough titanium to know that I'd just as soon not do that again. Titanium can be silver brazed using traditional high silver content brazing rod & high temperature flux. I'll experiment with silver brazing a McG pocket clip on the light & report on how that works. Silver braze is a widely used procedure for joining titanium tubing in heat exchangers so it should work in this application.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Nice work Barry ;)

Will
Thanks, Will :)

Some readers may not be aware that Will is heavily involved in developing solutions for the switch problems with the V10R Ti+ model. The Ti+ uses a titanium switch cap while the Ti- (had to call it something) uses a rubber boot. The titanium switch cap grinds against the titanium retainer ring & causes a rough feeling switch action. Will is now offering both replacement switch caps & retainer rings made from Delrin that is precision machined. Every one who is using the Delrin items is very satisfied. More info in his thread on Custom B/S/T.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Here's a different design for a cren bezel. The owner wanted 6 crens & also wanted the sharp edge features slightly melted. After the metal was cut away on the milling machine the bezel was hand finished to ease the edges and blend the texture.

Image-9853934-155279037-2-Web_0_191c4d16fbcf74dc6d19b0fb8e12f3c7_1

Image-9853934-155279038-2-Web_0_3cf9c26518054756cd7a368359a41b9e_1

Image-9853934-155279039-2-Web_0_722b7c1ff02d8144c0a96828883f89e1_1

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Here's a different design for a cren bezel. The owner wanted 6 crens & also wanted the sharp edge features slightly melted. After the metal was cut away on the milling machine the bezel was hand finished to ease the edges and blend the texture.
Image-9853934-155279038-2-Web_0_3cf9c26518054756cd7a368359a41b9e_1

Image-9853934-154828238-2-Web_0_02d76c190634af22191a3386151d783e_1
How can you not love that!

I could hardly wait to get it in my hands before the bezel treatment - now it's like...
Christo_pull_hair.gif

^^Nova^^

Enlightened
Image-9853934-154903797-2-Web_0_53969a0deed42a43ff0b93d0829ba01f_1

The orange rectangles show where the ridges will remain & the space between them will be machined away. Never certain how these projects will come out but photos will be posted ... if it looks good :)
Have you had a chance to try this mod out yet? I am getting itchy fingers and am seriously thinking about buying one of these lights to get modded to meutral led and some sort of grooves. Is there enough meat in the body and extender to bore to 18mm (will allow the use of 18500 and 18350 if the body is long enough).

Cheers,
Nova

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Have you had a chance to try this mod out yet?
Interesting that you ask since my second V10R Ti- arrived today. Once all the customer work is done it will get grooved as in the highlighted image.

Is there enough meat in the body and extender to bore to 18mm (will allow the use of 18500 and 18350 if the body is long enough).
The V10R Ti has an O-ring groove that measures identical to the Surefire E-series. Since Ti is roughly 2X stronger than Al the light should work well when bored for 18mm cells. Think of an E1E or E1L on steroids :)

Price to bore the body for either 17mm or 18mm cells is $60. Boring the extender is $20.

Last edited:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Is there enough meat in the body and extender to bore to 18mm (will allow the use of 18500 and 18350 if the body is long enough).
Barry'll be along soon enough and correct me if I'm wrong, but I do believe there's enough metal for you to either have the tube reduced (as I did) or to have it bored for the 18350.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
... I do believe there's enough metal for you to either have the tube reduced (as I did) or to have it bored for the 18350.
We must have hit "Post Reply" at exactly the same second :)

You're exactly right Pete. With careful & very precise centering the V10R is as good a candidate for 18mm as any small light. The tube can be reduced as well as long as the minimum outside diameter is at least as large as the O-ring groove outside diameter.

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
We must have hit "Post Reply" at exactly the same second :)

You're exactly right Pete. With careful & very precise centering the V10R is as good a candidate for 18mm as any small light. The tube can be reduced as well as long as the minimum outside diameter is at least as large as the O-ring groove outside diameter.
Apparently you were one second ahead of me. :ohgeez:

Might be a nice combination for someone wanting more power but who, like me, found the stock dimensions a bit much for cigar-grip. You're sure seeing a lot of V10R Ti's lately! :wave:

precisionworks

Flashaholic
You're sure seeing a lot of V10R Ti's lately! :wave:
Ever since it was first introduced the V10R has had a following. Interesting that many owners of high end custom Ti lights also have one or two of these & usually want them modded.

I just ordered a Nitecore TM11 & was told that it is has the worst ergonomics of any light on the market. I don't believe there's any way that the TM11 can feel any worse than an unmodded V10R. Which begs the question ... will there be images of a grip modded TM11 with trits?

Probably :devil:

kaichu dento

Flashaholic
Ever since it was first introduced the V10R has had a following. Interesting that many owners of high end custom Ti lights also have one or two of these & usually want them modded.

I just ordered a Nitecore TM11 & was told that it is has the worst ergonomics of any light on the market. I don't believe there's any way that the TM11 can feel any worse than an unmodded V10R. Which begs the question ... will there be images of a grip modded TM11 with trits?

Probably :devil:
That TM11 is begging for a whole new way of being held - like a whole new body!

precisionworks

Flashaholic
LOL :)

It should have been shaped like a beer bottle & not like a beer can. I imagine it will feel like the 1 liter oil can that is used on the lathe.

FWIW they are again available for $150.

blitz255

Newly Enlightened
holy crap too much stuff to get done and not enough money. I had a couple questions for you. Is the stock metal push button thick enough to polish out the logo and mill 3 trit slots into it? Also i love the grooves you did to look like the haiku so how much will that cost to have done? I really want to see how yours come out too. Last to just to get clarification on how much for the bezel that is melted and blended? Thanks man this will give me an idea how much I need to convince the wife to be able to spend. i feel you when you talk about showing the wife the pics all the time i do the same and mostly get the same reaction.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
Welcome to CPF blitz255 :thumbsup:

Is the stock metal push button thick enough to polish out the logo and mill 3 trit slots into it?
It is far too thin to end up with a solid bottom under the vial.

i love the grooves you did to look like the Haiku so how much will that cost to have done?
The Haiku Groove Mod is $75 + return shipping.

how much for the bezel that is melted and blended?
To hand finish & blend crenelations & remove SWM etching is $60/8 slots or $75/12 slots.

this will give me an idea how much I need to convince the wife to be able to spend.
I often forget to tell my wife about flashlights, knives, etc. :nana:

Last edited:

blitz255

Newly Enlightened
Thanks man i sent you an email too but it just says the same crap so just ignore that if you want.
I figured that the stock one would not work for the trits.
Would you be able to make and mill slots on a new push button? I like the ones that steve makes but he seems very busy and i dont want to wait around on a list for who knows how long and if i send you my light for all the maching i was hoping i could just get all of it done at once.

precisionworks

Flashaholic
I figured that the stock one would not work for the trits.
Would you be able to make and mill slots on a new push button?

I was speaking to another machinist this morning about exactly what you want. He may be able to have some prototypes ready next week & I'll post back here with a link.