mechanics penlight recommendation

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
hi guys, im a mechanic and i need a durable small bright penlight, im currently using an eagletac t100c2 thats so far taken a hell of a beating

ive been looking at the 4sevens preon 2 and the eagletac pn20a2, but i question how shock resistant they are

1) How would you prefer to purchase the light?

2) Budget: An easy question, but you may change your mind after answering the rest! :)

Less than $50.

3) Format:

penlight

4) Flashlight-specific format/size:

Every day carry small (2-4 inches).
Every day carry medium (4-7 inches).

5) Emitter/Light source:

LED (known for efficiency, longevity, and compactness)
Incandescent (known for superior color rendition)

6) Manufacturer:

I want to buy a light from a traditional mass producing manufacturer that is ready to go out of the box.

7) What battery type do you want to use?

I intend to use alkaline batteries (AAA, AA, C, D) (disclaimer, while it does not preclude all choices, these are not recommended for many of today's most powerful lights)
I intend to use rechargeable nickel chemistry (NiCad, NiMH, NiZn)
I intend to use lithium primary batteries (CR123, CR2, Energizer Advanced/Ultimate Lithium AA/AAA)

8) How much genuine out the front (OTF) light do you want/need? Sometimes you can have too much light (trying to read up close up with a 100 lumen light is impossible).

I want to navigate a dark room or read a map (0-10 lumens).
I want to walk around an unlit rural area (50-150 lumens).
I want to illuminate my entire backyard or a campsite (150-300 lumens).

9) Throw vs. Flood: At what distance will you be most likely to use this light? Select all that apply.

6 inches to maybe 4 feet

10) Runtime: Not over-inflated manufacturer runtime claims, but usable brightness measured from first activation to 50% with new batteries (Measured on maximum output).

doesnt matter

11) Durability/Usage: Generally the old phrase "you get what you pay for" is very accurate for flashlights.

Critical, i want something that will be able to take a beating, temporary high heat, oil, solvents, grease, and it will be dropped.. so shock resistant

12) Switch Type and location (choose all that apply):

I want a forward clicky (Helpful for momentary activation and signaling).
I want a reverse clicky (For use with multi-mode/level lights).
I want a tail mounted switch (found on the majority of today's high end lights).

13) User Interface (UI) and mode selection. Select all that apply.

A simple on-off with only one output level is fine for me.
I want 2 light levels.
I want multiple light levels.
I want a strobe mode. want, but not important

14)Material/Finish/Coating

Anodized Aluminum – either type II or III (Hard Anodized) (Aluminum, specifically HA, is the most common material/finish for today's flashlights).
Stainless steel (durable, but much heavier than aluminum)
Titanium (durable and nearly as lightweight as aluminum, but can be moderately to significantly more expensive).

15) Special Needs/extras: Is there anything else you want or need that hasn't been mentioned? Select any below.

Pocket clip

Nicrod

Flashaholic
The streamlights ( styluspro, stylusmini) are great lights
And cheap too! 18.00,15.00. 2-aaa or 1-aaa.
However I'm drooling over the fenix pen lights
The ld05 and ld03.

Ld05:45-50$ -100 lumens max 2-aaa
Ld03:30-37$ - 71 lumens max 1-aaa
Fenix is a great comPany. Lights are very durable
Check em out urself. I think you'll be pleased.

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
I have a stylus and its notalways bright enough, I like the fenix penlights too I just don't know how shockproof they would be... I mean my eagletac has been used as a hammer... and didn't break, but my itp eos died when I walked past a ladder and it hit it...
I just want durability and brightness with maybe 2-3 settings that's a penlight lol

Vinniec5

Enlightened
Take a look at the streamlight pro-tac series either the 1AA or 2AA I think you will like them, personally Id get the 2AA I love mine and its plenty bright for looking under seats, in fenders, in AC housings. 20yr Parts manager/Warranty admin/mechanic opinion

Dsoto87

Newly Enlightened
Tank007 E06. Extremely well built. More than enough light for anything you'd be using a pen light for. Can be run on one 10440 as an ultra compact light, or 2 lithium primaries for nice run times.

Best of all, its like less than $20

Nicrod

Flashaholic
I have a stylus and its notalways bright enough, I like the fenix penlights too I just don't know how shockproof they would be... I mean my eagletac has been used as a hammer... and didn't break, but my itp eos died when I walked past a ladder and it hit it...
I just want durability and brightness with maybe 2-3 settings that's a penlight lol

From what I've heard, and what fenix claims is that they are very robust lights. However nothing
Compares to the review of the preon 2 by "nutnfancy". He does an extreme water test.......
Drops them into tub a tub of water and leaves them on for a few hrs, then activates the clicky underwater
Over and over and over. Then he shakes them under water and leaves them some more.
And this light passes with " flying colors" as he would say himself.
So based solely on his review I may pass on the fenix and get a preon 2
Matte black. A little expensive(47) but well worth the money in the long run.

KLowD9x

Banned
I always had Streamlights before I found CPF.

I recommend the Streamlight PT2L. I keep my larger lights clipped to my left pants pocket for quick access. I like the PT2L because it is bright enough for looking through wheels to see brake pads, tread depth on tires and down in the engine bay to check belts/hoses/mounts/etc. It also has a quick access low mode with three quick presses of the tail switch for low light uses.

I prefer having the high mode first as that is the one that will be used the most for quick inspections.

Everyone in my shop was so impressed with the PT2L that five other techs have bought them. We also all use Tenergy 900mAh RCR123s for power because they are cheap and rechargeable.

mountaineer1

Newly Enlightened
i have had a preon 2 for about 5 months, its a great light and i use it every day, it puts out a large amount of light for its size get a set of aaa eneloops and good charger and you will be very pleased with the light

mdpvs7

Newly Enlightened
For the smaller carry light, I've been pretty happy with a Streamlight Microstream, 3.5" long, single AAA, and C4 LED - got it for around $15, so though it's pretty rugged, wouldn't be especially painful to replace (could have three for $50...)

Chevy-SS

Enlightened
I have gifted three of the Preon 2's to mechanic and machinist friends. They all LOVE the light. They are just blown away by it. Of course, I kept one for myself too, LOL.

To me, this is a no-brainer. Get the Preon 2, but get it with a XP-G R5 emitter. The S2 emitters typically have a very green tint.

I used to be a mechanic myself, and 40 or 50 lumens is not enough. The Preon 2 pumps out ~160 lumens on high, which is adequate for almost any situation.

I also own Strealight Stylus Pro and a Snap-on AAA*2. Those lights are just not bright enough.........

-

Last edited:

jbrett14

Enlightened
I've been using a Streamlight Stylus Pro, as well as a MicroStream for a while now and I recently purchased an iTP A3 EOS. What's amazing is that this little light is BRIGHTER than even the Stylus Pro, a LOT brighter. I just tested them side-by-side and there is no comparison. And yet the StreamLight uses TWO cells. And best of all the iTP is no more money.

Of all the lights I have ever purchased, including my Fenix TK30, as impressive as it is, I have never been more impressed than with this little iTP A3. It looks like it wouldn't be any brighter than a candle, yet it's out-shining lights ten times it's size. And for around $20 I doubt there is a better value out there.

As far as the Streamlight MicroStream, forget it. It doesn't come close to the iTP. And the cost is about the same.

As much as I have always liked the Streamlights, I must say that they fall way short of the brands you will see talked about in this forum. They might be better and brigher than the typical brands found on store shelves, but not even close to what you can get online.

fnsooner

Enlightened
Preon 2. I've been carrying the titanium version since it first came out. I don't intentionally abuse it, but because I use it so much it has met fairly rough treatment. I've run it through the washer a couple of times, dropped it on a hard surface several times, etc.

I keep it in my work shirt pocket in the ink pen slot and I can have it out and illuminating no time. It also has a good beam to point out things to customers as you are talking to them about the problems thier equipment is having.

Then get yourself a Zebralight SC60w and you'll be set.:naughty:

srfreddy

Enlightened
I personally think the Black Edition Preon 2 looks the best-just like the LD05, but with that nice contour and finish.

parnass

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have a Fenix LD05 and it's a very good pen light. However, even with dry hands the LD05 body is slippery because it is completely smooth with no knurling.

It would be tough to hold onto with greasy or oily hands. Perhaps wrapping the light in grip tape would help.

At $23, the Snap-On 92311 2AAA LED Pen Light is half the price and easier to grasp due to its rubbery coating. You could buy 2 in case you broke one. Mine is pretty bright with lots of spill.

penlights3.jpg

nasa779

Newly Enlightened
Tank007 E06. Extremely well built. More than enough light for anything you'd be using a pen light for. Can be run on one 10440 as an ultra compact light, or 2 lithium primaries for nice run times.

Best of all, its like less than $20
it looks good, but i cant deal with DX anymore, im sick of them losing my packages

Moving this to the LED Flashlights forum.

Bill
why i had incandescents as an option too... thanks for reading my first post...

I have gifted three of the Preon 2's to mechanic and machinist friends. They all LOVE the light. They are just blown away by it. Of course, I kept one for myself too, LOL.

To me, this is a no-brainer. Get the Preon 2, but get it with a XP-G R5 emitter. The S2 emitters typically have a very green tint.

I used to be a mechanic myself, and 40 or 50 lumens is not enough. The Preon 2 pumps out ~160 lumens on high, which is adequate for almost any situation.

I also own Strealight Stylus Pro and a Snap-on AAA*2. Those lights are just not bright enough.........

-
yea, the one i was looking at was an R5, i want the TI version, but i dont know that ill go through with that lol ill probably get the blue one

I've been using a Streamlight Stylus Pro, as well as a MicroStream for a while now and I recently purchased an iTP A3 EOS. What's amazing is that this little light is BRIGHTER than even the Stylus Pro, a LOT brighter. I just tested them side-by-side and there is no comparison. And yet the StreamLight uses TWO cells. And best of all the iTP is no more money.

Of all the lights I have ever purchased, including my Fenix TK30, as impressive as it is, I have never been more impressed than with this little iTP A3. It looks like it wouldn't be any brighter than a candle, yet it's out-shining lights ten times it's size. And for around $20 I doubt there is a better value out there.

As far as the Streamlight MicroStream, forget it. It doesn't come close to the iTP. And the cost is about the same.

As much as I have always liked the Streamlights, I must say that they fall way short of the brands you will see talked about in this forum. They might be better and brigher than the typical brands found on store shelves, but not even close to what you can get online.
i have a microstream and i have an eos... i broke the eos by walking past a ladder, and it tapped it and never worked again... my illumina TI takes a beating like a champ though

Preon 2. I've been carrying the titanium version since it first came out. I don't intentionally abuse it, but because I use it so much it has met fairly rough treatment. I've run it through the washer a couple of times, dropped it on a hard surface several times, etc.

I keep it in my work shirt pocket in the ink pen slot and I can have it out and illuminating no time. It also has a good beam to point out things to customers as you are talking to them about the problems thier equipment is having.

Then get yourself a Zebralight SC60w and you'll be set.:naughty:

thanks, it looks like ill be getting a preon 2

jbrett14

Enlightened
i have a microstream and i have an eos... i broke the eos by walking past a ladder, and it tapped it and never worked again... my illumina TI takes a beating like a champ though

Interesting. I hope mine (bought 5) hold up. I will say that the MicroStream DOES seem to be more durable, but time will tell.

Gadgetman7

Enlightened
I like the 4Sevens Mini-aa^2. While it's a little bulkier than the Preon it's pretty indestructible and uses AA batteries.