milkyspit "Creemator" Muhahahahahahahah!

wbp

Enlightened
With my Creemator (purchased from mcmc), I find the most output when running a pair of AW protected RCR123's, but it gets really hot pretty quickly. Mine came with an E2E body, so a 18650 is not an option. Will have to pick up a 17670 to try with it. I want to measure the output with the RCR's - I suspect it's upwards of 250 lumens. I get about 9000 lux at 1 meter!

HoopleHead

Flashlight Enthusiast
HH,

that "Hoople" Head sure looks like a nice light.

i was thinking of something like 120lm (or 100lm, but prob 120lm, unless both too high for 1xCR123A to drive, in which case then either 60lm or 80lm for MAX & i'd have to rethink the rest of them), 60lm, 30lm, 15lm in Normal Mode, and 20lm 10lm 5lm 1lm in Miser Mode. Don't know if these Miser Mode levels are possible given the Normal Mode levels - would have to confirm w/Milky.

i'd like the order to be totally non-Tactical, viz. in all Modes, progression would be UL, Low, Med, and then Max.

i'd probably go w/another SF E1B Backup as a host, or just have the head built up and swap it in an out on this host (or my "stock" E1B, now rarely used).

any thoughts on these levels?

i would talk to milky, but from what i understand

- tactical setting just means it turns on to the first setting, instead of memory mode (remembers last used setting).
- i dont know if you can set the miser mode settings, i think its just 50% of all the normal settings. would need to confirm.
- the Acorn driver comes with 4 settings, so your order sounds fine. mine cost extra as it had to be reprogrammed to 3 settings, and go Low, High, Med.

hope that helps a bit, good luck with your build!

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
With my Creemator (purchased from mcmc), I find the most output when running a pair of AW protected RCR123's, but it gets really hot pretty quickly. Mine came with an E2E body, so a 18650 is not an option. Will have to pick up a 17670 to try with it. I want to measure the output with the RCR's - I suspect it's upwards of 250 lumens. I get about 9000 lux at 1 meter!

WBP, I wouldn't run your light on 2xRCR123... all that heat you're getting is being produced by the driver circuitry because you're pushing more voltage through it than it was designed to handle... and it's likely to croak sometime fairly soon!

The driver was designed to handle ONE rechargeable of any size, or TWO primaries. You'll find your highest outputs on two primaries but a 17670 would give you longer runtimes and a SINGLE RCR123 would allow you to run the head on a 1x123 body.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
...i dont know if you can set the miser mode settings, i think its just 50% of all the normal settings...

the was the covert meaning of my wording in this regard. i'm guessing that, in terms of light o.p., on mine it's somewhere b/t 1/5 and 1/6 of the Normal Setting based upon a comparison of the levels b/t Normal Mode and Miser Mode.

in fact, i'm not sure that i want to wait until next mo. i think that i'll contact Milky this afternoon.

many thanks for sharing the info about your HoopleHead light.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
read Post #18 for RCR burntime.

wouldn't know the primary burntime as it's optimized for 1xLi-ion and i haven't discussed this w/Milky, other than the fact that on 1xPrimary it won't be 231lm on MAX in Normal Mode.

wbp

Enlightened
WBP, I wouldn't run your light on 2xRCR123... all that heat you're getting is being produced by the driver circuitry because you're pushing more voltage through it than it was designed to handle... and it's likely to croak sometime fairly soon!

Ah, thank you, that's very helpful. Don't want to have it croak!:oops: I'll pick up a couple of 17670's then, and keep my eye out for a single 123 body (presumeably E1B).

Sure is a great light.

William

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
i'm running my "Milky Creemator noir" off of 1xRCR123A. it's optimized for 1xRCR or 1xLi-ion cell. in fact, an AW RCR is what is in mine right now. the next light Milky will build for me will be optimized for 1xCR123A for longer burntime at lower o.p. levels.

i know what i paid for mine, but i'll leave it to Milky to talk business w/you. if you don't mind, may i suggest that you PM him on this particular point. why? prices can vary depending upon precisely what you would like - he can customize quite a bit. this first one (the "Creemator noir") Milky built for me is pretty standard in most respects, but the next one he and i discussed earlier today will be quite custom.

my initial impressions based upon just 1 day of use (and quite a few months of use of the MilkySpit Gotham i purchased last year - similar driver in the Gotham), i think that you will really appreciate whatever light you ask Milky to build for you. enjoy.

half-watt

Flashlight Enthusiast
FYI:

talked w/Milky again about having him build a second light (sorta' like the HoopleHead - see an earlier Post in this Thread) and have some more precise info on how some aspects of his h/w and s/w works.

0. Milky can hand pick a Cree or SSC for a light. he's hand pickin' a Cree R2 for the second light that he's buildin' for me. since this one will be optimized for 1xCR123A at a relatively LOW MAX o.p. level (~46lm minimum), a R2 makes sense to try to get the most light out at the reduced drive current.

1. more than four levels per MODE (viz. NORMAL or MISER) can be custom programmed. i think five levels in each MODE will work best for my purposes. he could do more levels per MODE if that is what someone wanted. i've been kicking around 6 lvls per MODE, but will probably go w/just 5.

2. the lowest level that can be output is 1/255th of the programmed MAX level. so, for example, if 231 lm is the MAX on a particular Creemator, then ~1 lm (more precisely, ~0.905lm if my math is correct) is the lowest level available in NORMAL ***AND*** MISER mode. if 46lm is the MAX o.p. level in NORMAL mode, then ~0.18 lm is the lowest level that can be o.p. in either NORMAL or MISER mode.

3. each MISER mode lvl. is ~18% of its corresponding NORMAL mode lvl, i.e. MAX MISER is 18% of MAX normal, subject, of course to point #2 immediately above, i.e. the lowest level in either mode can't be less than 1/255th the level of the NORMAL Mode MAX level. sounds like the Acorn driver used in the h/w might be only have an 8-bit DAC since 2^8 = 256 (i.e. 0 to 255 or 256 discrete levels).

4. for a custom lower MAX o.p. 1xCR123A optimized light, best around ~46lm (but may be higher), unregulated operation yields longer burntimes and a VERY slowly decaying light o.p. which would appear to the eye/brain as if it were regulated since it drops off so slowly (8-10 hr @ 46lm on 1xCR123A). mine will have at least 46lm on a fresh cell on MAX in normal mode for an 8-10h burntime. other levels that i'm considering are 30, 15, 5, and 1 to round out the NORMAL Mode (of course, if i wanted six modes, 'a la SF U2, that would be doable), and 8, 5, 3, 1, and 0.2 (all given in round numbers) for the MISER Mode. so, Miser Mode can be used for task/proximity lighting in camp, and Normal Mode for long burntime when on the move on the trail at night. i wanted to insist on regulated operation even for this low max o.p. level, but Milky wisely dissuaded me though he would do whatever i wanted even though it would not yield the best results given my requirements. i'm sure that i will be glad that i listened to him and took his advice. who's the expert on these matters anyways?!!! least that's the way i looked at it and so, had to defer to his wisdom, insight, and expertise in this area.

5. any and/or all gestures can be disabled, e.g. the SMART MAX gesture will be gone in mine - it just doesn't fit how i often find myself using the light, and so, too often intrudes and gets in the way - meaning, i can't TAP-TAP-Click to go from a memorized HI level to LO, for example. the SMART MAX gesture gets in the way and the light ends up in MAX instead of LO after ~0.5sec in LO mode.

6. custom UI's can be programmed, e.g. "Theater UI", going from LO to HI w/ or w/o MEMORY of the last level. i'm going for no memory so that it will always turn on the lowest. Theater UI is a name Milky gave it as i described to him how i'd like the light levels to be sequenced and why that is better for me when in the woods. clever name he came up w/wouldn't y'all say?!

7. possibly three UI's could be programmed or Theater UI substitued for the Tactical UI or General UI. so, for example, my next light will have Theater UI going fr/LO to HI always w/no memory (IMO, better for use on the trail to preserve one's acquired dark adaptation), and a pseudo-Tactical UI w/MEMORY, or, if you prefer, a Gen UI w/memory but going from HIGH to LO. i only need two UI's.

8. the number of clicks to switch b/t UI's and/or Modes can be changed to make it easier or more difficult to change UI's or Modes (not sure of the upper and lower limits though). i'm going to greatly reduce the # of clicks to, if possible 12 and 15 for the two toggles.

hope this info proves useful to someone considering a Creemator from Milky.

he did GREAT WORK on the first Creemator he built for me, and is worthy of a second order. i'd encourage anyone considering a custom light to give Milky a shot at meeting your most exacting requirements.

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
I don't know if I would need a whole "Theatre" UI (although I do like the name).

However, I had been thinking one thing I'd like would be a "gesture" that would let me always turn it on to minimum, just like tap-tap-tap-long always goes to Max.

It would be nice if I could do something like tap-tap-tap or somemthing to always go to Minimum. Know what I mean?

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Theater UI exists... coded it last night then went outside to test... worked great. :naughty:

I'm working on a few goodies that I envision making their way into the next revision of the Acorn firmware. Theater UI is one of them, and for now I'll keep the others under wraps... would feel much more comfortable revealing the rest AFTER I'm sure it all works!

Incidentally, the new firmware can be loaded onto ANY Gotham, Creemator, Creemator Noir, Seoulmator, and Boxter build, plus most of the Project-M and other made-to-order builds that use the Acorn driver... won't make your light brighter but WILL give you all the added goodies, so you essentially bring your light functionally up to date. Not quite sure how to handle firmware upgrades, but very tentatively I'm thinking some sort of nominal flat rate such as $30 plus return shipping... should be able to upgrade someone's light and get it on the way back within a day or two of receipt, since most of the work is front-loaded in coding and testing the firmware in the first place... the actual upgrade involves opening the light without damaging anything inside, then re-flashing the Acorn driver with the new firmware, then testing that it's working correctly, then re-sealing everything. Not too bad.

Mercaptan

Enlightened
This thread made me just work out a Creemator with Scott.

We had an excellent chat about what I wanted out of a light, and believe me, Scott can get it for you. I cannot wait for mine to arrive -

Spec'd a KX2 head with 3 stages, tactical UI, 300+ lumen high, 30 medium, and 1 low. Scott is going to put that onto an E2D body, and bore it out for a 17670.

Mmm. About time I treated myself.

steveG

Enlightened
the brightness and burntime specifics of this one are as follows:

Normal Mode:
231lm for 0h 42
69lm for 2h 20m
21lm for 7h 42m
1lm for 150h

Miser Mode:
42lm for 3h 53m
12lm for 12h 58m
4lm for 42h 47m
1lm for 150h

I'm just now getting to know the Milky mods... not a good thing. I wish I had stayed away!

Can someone clarify the runtime specs listed above? Does the output stay relatively flat throughout the runtime? For example, does it put out (roughly) 231lm for 42 minutes or does it start at 231 and drop from there.

Thanks for the help!