• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Sold/Expired Milkyspit Mods, Thoughts, Eye Candy [LOTS OF PHOTOS] Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

nakahoshi

Flashlight Enthusiast
scott, another email sent. Might have been lost in the pile. This time I put CPF in the subject. Thanks!
-bobby

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
scott, another email sent. Might have been lost in the pile. This time I put CPF in the subject. Thanks!
-bobby

Bobby, this time I see it. The CPF in the subject line really helps. Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edit: Replied.

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
This week I received my Creemator back from Milky Labs with updated firmware (not with the 300-lumen mojo; I think I can make due with 220+). I've had some time to play, and I can say it's an improvement.

I tested the "Miser mode." This is a great idea. I'd say the max is, what, around 75 lumens or so? That's plenty. The other settings are fine for finding your way around. The thing about a focused beam is that a very dim beam is still useful because all the light is concentrated. So it's useful for close work and has a surprising amount of throw I think. So, it's good to know the long-runtime mode is there if I need it.

The big thing here is the change in the click speed. This does make a difference. Sometimes in the past I've had to think about slowing down my clicking. Now it's much more intuitive. Also, the "max-lock" happens much faster with a click-click-press. One more feature I'd like to see: a "gesture" that always goes directly to minimum.

So, I'd say it's worth upgrading to the Acorn Service Pack 1.

PS: Two other Milky Mods I've been happy with lately. First, a K2 TFFC installed in a NovaTac 120p. I did this do improve the tint and the beam quality. Well, the beam is great. It's a nice vanilla ice cream, with a stronger hotspot, a splotchy sort of secondary hotspot, a nice, bright corona, and then a brighter ring around the edge. The big thing is, it's clearly brighter than my other stock 120p. I think the max is now close to 150 lumens, and when I've used it for distant spotting it has great throw. I had left the other settings at the defaults, but now I set the primary and secondary each a level down and they are still brighter than stock. It's a pleasure to use, and is my new favorite.

Also, I've been using my "SuperNova" lately (120p with a KL1 optic). This past weekend, my Creemator was in the shop, and my ML1 Cree extreme is loaned out, so when we went for a see-what-we-can-see walk, I took along the SuperNova I've been neglecting lately. This light is a sleeper. It casts a huge hotspot out a far ways. We were maybe 150 yards from a grain elevator and this little light lit up the whole thing—top to bottom, all five silos. Wow.

Last edited:

gottawearshades

Enlightened
PPS: I'm just curious, what are you doing with all those new SF optics you take out to make reflectored Creemators? You must be tripping over piles of them in your workshop.

I've been thinking it would be cool to put one in a NovaTac. I guess you'd have to replace the emitter with a Cree or some other LED that would fit. Have you tried that? :poke:

StrayLight

Enlightened
PPS: I'm just curious, what are you doing with all those new SF optics you take out to make reflectored Creemators? You must be tripping over piles of them in your workshop.

I've been wondering the same thing lately, but also are there limitations in what LED can be used with a TIR optic in a KL1/KX1 head? Take the Seoul P7 for instance... there is higher output from four dies but less collimation because there are multiple emitters. Would the P7 benefit from a TIR optic? Would it even fit in a KL1 head?

Milky, you can probably see better than I where my next build request is going: something beyond a Cree XRE, preferably with a focusable optic, KL1 head, VG FB1 body (got any left?), HA natural, ~1500mA burst setting in the Acorn a la Dogchaser's Creemator...

We can take this discussion to PM/email, but I wanted to get other people's thoughts.

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast

GWS, at present I don't really have very many of those SureFire Cree TIR optics, firstly (word?) because I haven't built all that many reflectored Creemators to begin with... maybe 3-4 total so far? Also, the optic will sometimes develop hairline cracks around the edges due to heat used in opening the head. I try to go as gently as possible, but still the optic doesn't always fare well. Slight cracking at the very edge isn't that big a deal because it isn't in the actual "active" area of the optic... but if the cracks are a little deeper, they DO enter the "active" area and render that optic unsuitable for use in a Creemator. The extra optics I've had up to now have gone into lights whose own optics developed unacceptable cracks.

This brings up an interesting aside, which was news to me... no doubt many of you already know this, but I certainly didn't! :eek:oo: Polycarbonate as well as some other plastics actually absorb moisture, and their moisture content can vary with environmental conditions, length of time sitting in a certain environment, etc. Heating the plastic causes the moisture to leave the plastic, effectively drying the plastic... manufacturers running injection molding equipment have to deal with this, as too high a moisture content interferes with the molding process. In heating a TIR optic, once can actually see small beads of water form on its underside. I suspect if too much moisture leaves the optic, it may be overly dry and be more prone to cracking. It's also possible the optic shrinks, then later reabsorbs some moisture and expands again, with the re-expansion leading to cracks, especially if the optic is under pressure as it would be when mounted in the head. The trickiest part of the equation is that optics can come through the heating process fine and develop cracks days later.
:sigh:

I do have a handful of optics here at present, but all of them have cracking around their edges. They do seem to work... but they wouldn't be my first choice for installing in a light!

I've been thinking it would be cool to put one in a NovaTac. I guess you'd have to replace the emitter with a Cree or some other LED that would fit. Have you tried that? :poke:

Yes, would need to put a Cree in there since these optics are designed for Cree... and I'm not certain there's enough depth in the head to accommodate the optic... but if we could fit these things into place, you're right, it would make for one heck of a long-throwing beam!

BTW, Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there! :wave: :party: :party: :party:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've been wondering the same thing lately, but also are there limitations in what LED can be used with a TIR optic in a KL1/KX1 head? Take the Seoul P7 for instance... there is higher output from four dies but less collimation because there are multiple emitters. Would the P7 benefit from a TIR optic? Would it even fit in a KL1 head?

Milky, you can probably see better than I where my next build request is going: something beyond a Cree XRE, preferably with a focusable optic, KL1 head, VG FB1 body (got any left?), HA natural, ~1500mA burst setting in the Acorn a la Dogchaser's Creemator...

We can take this discussion to PM/email, but I wanted to get other people's thoughts.

The KL1 TIR optic is designed for Luxeon but also works nicely with Seoul SSC emitters... the Cree TIR is designed for Cree XRE and doesn't work so well with other emitters.

P7 could fit in a KL1 head but at present there is no TIR optic that small which would work well with it.

As for the remainder of your request... the 1500mA is achievable though you probably won't reach it on a single RCR123 cell... the head would run as bright as it could, though, and WOULD reach the full 1500mA on a pair of primaries, and possibly on a larger rechargeable, too... and yes, I have one or two FB1 bodies left, though I would need to check the clickies to see how many are still in good working order... over time some of the clickies can get electrically noisy and need either maintenance or replacement.

Now, if you offer some guidance via PM (full at the moment but will make some room in a few minutes) or email, I would be happy to work with you in building something as close to the goal as possible. Seems we won't be able to give you everything you wish, but we can probably come close.

gottawearshades

Enlightened
Interesting answer. I would have thought that enough heat to destabilize the polycarbonate would risk frying the electronics! I guess SF's engineering really is pushing tolerances here.

Well, if you ever want to try it, I have a novatac that's willing to undergo the procedure in the interest of science.

Cheers.

I do have a handful of optics here at present, but all of them have cracking around their edges. They do seem to work... but they wouldn't be my first choice for installing in a light!

Yes, would need to put a Cree in there since these optics are designed for Cree... and I'm not certain there's enough depth in the head to accommodate the optic... but if we could fit these things into place, you're right, it would make for one heck of a long-throwing beam!

BTW, Happy Father's Day to all the fathers out there! :wave: :party: :party: :party:

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]Rest In Peace Walt175[/size]

LuxLover called me this morning with news that our mutual friend, fellow modder, and longtime PhotonFest attendee Walt175 had passed away in the early morning hours yesterday, June 15th. I've posted a personal recollection in the PF10 thread over here...

(snip)

IMG_3654a.JPG

IMG_3999.jpg

One personal recollection: when Walt attended his first PhotonFest, we coincidentally made our first attempt at a freebie raffle at the event... perhaps the premier prize was a brand new in box Fenix L0P, if memory serves, at that time a newly-released and much anticipated light. Walt was a flashlight newbie... when he won the L0P, you couldn't conceive of a happier recipient: his excitement was impossible to conceal, nor did he even make the attempt; rather he shared it with all in attendance that day. It was that prize which might have set off his passion for modding, and for all things flashaholic. For my part, I heard from Walt a number of times afterward... sometimes looking for a particular part or perhaps some advice, sometimes spilling the beans about his latest creation...

His enthusiasm was infectious. Come to think of it, I don't recall Walt ever NOT being enthusiastic. It was one with his persona, for me it was his signature element, a soft-spoken voice always a half-step away from a chuckle... always ready with some kind words or a smile... that was his spirit, the Walt I'd come to know. I cannot remember Walt ever lacking in these attributes, and it's what I'll always remember about him. How could one NOT help but come away a little happier after spending a few pleasant moments in Walt's company?

(snip)

Empath has posted a condolence thread in CPF Cafe if anyone wishes to visit. You'll find that thread over here.

TranquillityBase

Flashlight Enthusiast
That is some very sad news.

PF11 and future PF events will not be the same without Walt.

Scott

milkyspit

Flashlight Enthusiast
[size=+1]HDS P7 Upgrade[/size]

Several days ago I completed upgrade of an HDS with s Seoul P7 emitter... the upgrade was designed to generate a reflectorless (mule-style) flood of very bright light. That said, I've been slow to post photos... still looking for the time to finish cropping and uploading those, but here's the first...

img-hds-p7-into-head.jpg

mcmc

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cool! Looks very sweet =) Are you using the stock electronics? How is it on the 4 different levels?

thermal guy

Flashaholic
OK guy's got my new p7 from milky today and it's everything i was hoping for I wanted this light as a camping light mated to one of my 2X123 tubes and i think it will be great for this application.There is no reflector in the light so what you get is a bright very wide beam.The throw is probable limited to 20 or 30 feet but for what I'm using it for thats fine.I will try for some beam shots tonight so you can see what I'm talking about Great work Milky.:thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.