• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mini Turbohead M2-XML2 Direct Drive

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Re: M2-50 Direct Drive SST-50 M2 Head: in limited production

Love my M2-50 neutral - the one I have now came from PSM. It's one of the natural HA ones I believe from the Scout series. Triad tail with trits & one of the C2 bodies with the looong trits installed on 2 edges (precisionworks job). I also love my M2-XML neutral - long story on that one...(I had to give up my M2-50 neutral up for that one).

Seriously - these are AMAZING heads.

So I'm glad that Oveready guys were able to get more reflectors that apparently was the issue with the long pause between issuing new models. My favorite single level lights by far are my M2-50 & M2-XML, both have FETties in the tails - but they are still kind of twisties as I have to make sure I lock them out (after having a 5.6A VanIsleDSM quads turn on accidentally in a holster on my hip (YIKES))

Last edited:

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Love my M2-50 neutral - the one I have now came from PSM. It's one of the natural HA ones I believe from the Scout series. Triad tail with trits & one of the C2 bodies with the looong trits installed on 2 edges (precisionworks job). I also love my M2-XML neutral - long story on that one...

Neale, while i loved that light, I wished the beam were a lil tighter, I think this is the light I have been looking for. :)

Glad your enjoying it still!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast

Neale, while i loved that light, I wished the beam were a lil tighter, I think this is the light I have been looking for. :)

Glad your enjoying it still!

Had it with me two weeks ago in a mill (paper mill). Fantastic light! Going with me again next week.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
M2-50 Direct Drive SST-50 M2 Head: in limited production

I'm no expert, but 3100/3400's aren't ideal for high drain applications. 2600/2900's use a different chemistry that is better for high drain.

With that said, order placed for one of these bad boys! :rock:

BenChiew

Flashlight Enthusiast

I'm no expert, but 3100/3400's aren't ideal for high drain applications. 2600/2900's use a different chemistry that is better for high drain.

With that said, order placed for one of these bad boys! :rock:

That is news to me Brandon. Didn't realize that they were different in chemistry. Always thought that they were older types.
Wouldn't it be better to use IMR for high drain?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Wouldn't it be better to use IMR for high drain?

In a driver setup, current will flow only as fast as the driver is configured. With a high drain driver, you can over drive a black (ICR) cell, so IMR are recommended (to keep up).

In a direct drive setup, there is no driver. The LED will accept more current than it can safely use. Black/ICR are limited enough in their ability to provide current, to keep the LED from overdriving itself. This keeps everything in balance.

Traditional ICR chemistry is limited to 2600mah. To go beyond, Panasonic developed LiNiCoO2 (NNP). 2900 is the first of this 'more with less' chemistry, so it's the smallest of the three (2900/3100/3400). But part of that extra capacity (which is tested by running x load for y minutes) comes from safely running to a lower stopping voltage. But that extra capacity is false/wasted if the setup it's used in (say a driver that shuts off at 3.0v) doesn't let it.

Btw, one of the virtues of DD is ridiculously long trail runtime. A nearly dead 123 cell (one) can run this head for a while!

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast

So a Panasonic/AW 3400mAh cell will match this DD setup well, right?

Will a McC2S tail be able to work with this?

Studey

Newly Enlightened

Traditional ICR chemistry is limited to 2600mah. To go beyond, Panasonic developed LiNiCoO2 (NNP). 2900 is the first of this 'more with less' chemistry, so it's the smallest of the three (2900/3100/3400). But part of that extra capacity (which is tested by running x load for y minutes) comes from safely running to a lower stopping voltage. But that extra capacity is false/wasted if the setup it's used in (say a driver that shuts off at 3.0v) doesn't let it.

Since a DD set up has no driver to shut off at low voltage, is there any reason to use 2600 protected LiCos vs the higher capacity 3400? What do you recommend for your DD lights?

FPSRelic

Enlightened

Is the momentary mode on the zero rez on the gen3 easier to use than the modified z41 of the gen2? If so, when will the black ha z41's be back in stock?

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic

Since a DD set up has no driver to shut off at low voltage, is there any reason to use 2600 protected LiCos vs the higher capacity 3400? What do you recommend for your DD lights?

So a Panasonic/AW 3400mAh cell will match this DD setup well, right?

Theoretically, the 2600 provides higher voltage for longer (more max output) and the 3400 provides longer dimming runtime. But while all 4 sizes have shown to provide expected performance, we've not spent enough time to test for specific differences that would yield a single recommendation.

Will a McC2S tail be able to work with this?

With only one cell, this high amperage setup puts considerable demands on the tail setup. The large spring on the McClicky, for example, heats up to a degree to hot to touch. I'm unfamiliar with the limits of the McC2S, but damaging one would be tragic.

Is the momentary mode on the zero rez on the gen3 easier to use than the modified z41 of the gen2? If so, when will the black ha z41's be back in stock?

Force needed to use the momentary is a factor of compression and spring pressure. With the Zero Rez (gen 1 and gen 3), the full force of the XML head's stout spring is against the tailcap, requiring considerable finger force. The Gen 2 tailcap has a rare hand cut tailcap spring (copper I believe) that reduces this force, lessening the finger force needed for momentary use. If you have a Gen 2, you already have the least force possible.

Bezels and tailcaps appear when either bodies sell alone or (more likely) people buy upgraded lights. We expect to have Z41s again after Triads are available. But if, for any reason you wanted to change a G2 tailcap to a G3 tailcap, the silver disk can be changed out for the brass ZR disk.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic

Anyone get one of these in the mail Saturday? Your thoughts?

Thanks to the holiday, I have to wait until tues to get mine. :D

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

This is the really frustrating thing. We had the same mail carrier for over a decade. We knew him, and he was great, and knew when I got something fun. Now, we don't get mail when the weather is bad, or the guy doesn't feel like it I guess. I checked online, and it said my package was "attempted delivery" with notice left on Friday. I know this is an outright lie, as we did not get any mail on Friday at all. I left a note for him yesterday asking him to leave the package, waiving signature. And he left a note saying "we attempted delivery yesterday." Argh. Now I have to wait until Tuesday too, and I have to fid time to go to the PO to pick it up.

smokelaw1

Flashlight Enthusiast

Got mine, charging a battery for it right now. Initial tests confirm much tighter/brighter hotspot than original m2-50. Total output seems brighter, but it's tough to tell with the different color temps and beam pattern.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I am very pleased, stoked actually. This thing is BRIGHT! :D

Can't wait until its dark. Love the tint!

E4DD8BDA-40B4-47A1-814E-1ED4A1FC4427-26848-00001C15C4961370.jpg

BDEC8C26-FE84-4A53-9BF0-806BD447DE8E-26848-00001C15CFDBA91C.jpg

24ECE589-34E2-4504-8540-C798D9D85FDA-26848-00001C15CA8B873E.jpg

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I am not equipped for beam shots. Ok. This light is SICK!!! I don't have a hound dog XML anymore, but this light is every bit as potent if not a lil more, in a smaller package. Like a hound pup. Lol.

Just got back in from outside, this light is impressive. Wow. Well done guys. :thumbsup:

Latest posts