• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Mini Turbohead M2-XML2 Direct Drive

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I ran a 3100 AW I charged last night to see how long it would go. Battery was off the charger for 14 hours and maybe used for a minute before my test.

It ran full brightness it seems for at least 45 minutes. At the one hour mark it was probably 200 lumens. At the 1:15 mark it was 3-5 lumens. It was the same at 1:30, where I concluded the test. Wonder how long it would stay at 3 lumen?? :)

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
I ran a 3100 AW I charged last night to see how long it would go. Battery was off the charger for 14 hours and maybe used for a minute before my test.

It ran full brightness it seems for at least 45 minutes. At the one hour mark it was probably 200 lumens. At the 1:15 mark it was 3-5 lumens. It was the same at 1:30, where I concluded the test. Wonder how long it would stay at 3 lumen?? :)

Great to see these are reaching the hands of you guys.

If you want to lego, or use a spacer, a SINGLE CR123 primary cell will run this head for a couple dozen hours.:)

Darvis

Enlightened
Jeez, I have to stop reading these threads. I just bought an OR Defense Light, now I'm seriously thinking of pulling the trigger on this... killing me.

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Even after 2 years, there are more WTB threads for the original M2-50 version than WTS threads. Most seem still to be with their original owners.

Silgt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Even after 2 years, there are more WTB threads for the original M2-50 version than WTS threads. Most seem still to be with their original owners.

I know I won't be parting with my M2-50 and M2-XML anytime soon, especially the M2-50...very well made and cool setup. The only thing missing is not having another mode :D

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Intriguing setup. I'm curious, does it use a dropin or is the LED sealed in the head?

In an M2, the top of a P60 reflector normally stops some distance from the lens. The throw performance from this setup comes from the reflector being much taller/deeper than a P60 sized reflector, taking full advantage of the larger size of this bezel.

Like our Triple E2, the parts are built into the head (think ship in a bottle). They are to large to be inserted as a set and to reliant on the 'case' of the bezel itself to be removed. In fact, each head is sealed with Loctite during final assembly.

jd1911

Newly Enlightened
Will the Head be available by itself? I already have a OR Custom C2.

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
As a regulation-fan I prefer stable output, but think it's acceptable with a slight decline during a certain time if that is not much noticable for the eyes. Is there any information available of what I could except from this direct driven device?
A runtime graph or, for example, XX% of initial output after 0,5/1 hour with a certain 18650?

lightdelight

Newly Enlightened
Runtime will be directly related to the cells, and I don't imagine this is a light you would leave on continuously.

PoliceScannerMan

Flashaholic
I ran mine continuously with no problems, heat sinking is nice, the whole light warms up, pretty hot but not too hot to hold.

Brightness held pretty even to my eyes for 40 min, then gradually down for another 20/30 min then dropped to 5 lumens.

I rather it do that, then just shut off from 1000 lumens to 0 then your stuck in the dark. Nice IMO.

lightdelight

Newly Enlightened
I ran mine continuously with no problems, heat sinking is nice, the whole light warms up, pretty hot but not too hot to hold.

Brightness held pretty even to my eyes for 40 min, then gradually down for another 20/30 min then dropped to 5 lumens.

I rather it do that, then just shut off from 1000 lumens to 0 then your stuck in the dark. Nice IMO.

Impressive! I'll probably pick up one of the solo heads then.
Is it possible to replace the lens or is it in there for good?

Moddoo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Impressive! I'll probably pick up one of the solo heads then.
Is it possible to replace the lens or is it in there for good?

We have installed top quality glass with a multi layer antireflective coating applied to both sides. This glass has 99% light transmittance.
If you happen to damage the glass in the head, we will replace it under warranty at no charge.
It is not user serviceable

Last edited:

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast

Thanks for sharing that experience, pretty good description of a runtime graph!

Zigo45

Newly Enlightened
I was wondering if the inside measurments were the same for a M2 head and a M2 cryos cooling bezel. If so, would it be possible to build one of the M2-XML2's into a cryos cooling bezel?