• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Modding/Repair Helpline ... Get your answers here! :-)

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
So I transplanted a xp-e today, it worked fine before I just didn't like the host. Got it its new home and it is doing strange stuff.

Sometimes it lights up fine on low, but blinks on high.

Most of the time, it just lights up super dim, but has both modes and stays on. Dim as in less than my Quark QP2L on moonlight.
??????????

Did I get it too hot? Or maybe got the star too hot and have a bad solder joint at the LED itself now?

I dont want to keep messing with it until I have an idea whats wrong.

Thanks,
Jim

Last edited:

Blazer296

Newly Enlightened
Never mind, figured it out............... well kinda.

Bad solder joint.

Still not sure WHY it was bad, everything looked good, tested good with my MM.
I cleaned all the solder off the starboard and started over, now its fine.

Jim

LightFox

Newly Enlightened
Hi Vinh,I got some very basic driver modding questions here...hoping for answers :)

AFAIK there are 2 ways of driver modding:
1: throw out stock driver--> throw in complete other driver, with changed UI etc..
2: modify the stock driver. That´s what my questions are about :)
What I think is, that modifying the stock drivers keeps UI and the given steps in current %, but changes the all around current by changing resistors. Is that right so far?

What limits this thing- I have heard the term "maxed the driver out", or "pushed it to max"- what gives this limit?
And, last one: What leeds to different results between two lamps of the same type, if both drivers are "pushed to their max"? Big differences, half ampere or more? That one lamp does 4A after modding, the other pushes out 5A after modding?

revilo951

Newly Enlightened
Not only that. Some of the other components on the board may be limited in their current handling.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
Hi Vinh,I got some very basic driver modding questions here...hoping for answers :)

AFAIK there are 2 ways of driver modding:
1: throw out stock driver--> throw in complete other driver, with changed UI etc..
2: modify the stock driver. That´s what my questions are about :)
What I think is, that modifying the stock drivers keeps UI and the given steps in current %, but changes the all around current by changing resistors. Is that right so far? Yes, for most drivers.

What limits this thing- I have heard the term "maxed the driver out", or "pushed it to max"- what gives this limit? Current handling of the components and voltage spikes for the LED. Exceed one of the two and will will end up with a burnt driver or LED. For me it's trial and error. I don't know enough to just know exactly what to do by looking at the driver.

And, last one: What leeds to different results between two lamps of the same type, if both drivers are "pushed to their max"? Big differences, half ampere or more? That one lamp does 4A after modding, the other pushes out 5A after modding?
Many variables are involved. Here are some:
1) Components variance...Example: Resistors can vary up to 5% form one sample to another. Cheaper components has more variance
2) Assembly quality - Too much heat during mounting weakens componets, poor solder joint, dirty contacts...
3) Variable sources of components brand from different manufactures used at different production period
4) LEDs are not created equal especially tint and forward voltage
5) battery variance

6) reflector, centering and LED height focus variance - Not current related but greatly affect performance
7) Poor quality meter with a bad battery and thin leads can register low or high readings

There are a ton more I am sure but those are some

af112566

Newly Enlightened
hi,,
I have a malkoff hound dog xml head.i would like to put in a dedomed xm-l2.is this easy to do or will there be problems?
I recently put one in my crelant 7g5.v2 and love the results.

lunas

Enlightened
i just got a cree 18650 host this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00K8JV9PS/?tag=cpf0b6-20

I got a 20mm star and driver for it an xre q3 with a matching driver only to find out this light will at best take a 16mm so i pull out an XML which the light says it can take the lamp i pulled was in a p60 type drop in when i separated the led and driver to remove them from the pill i discovered that the driver was not a driver as such but a empty circuit board on top of which a driver could be soldered... So direct drive with only what ever resistance from the board there was. Well the transplant worked but the light only worked for about 3 or 4 times of varying run times i found the emitter would get way too hot running for more than about 3 minutes i turned it on one last time barely got warm then quit working.

My guess is the led got fried from being direct driven... it certainly did not feel like it had cooked... so should i try another xml with a driver this time or find a xre or xpg2.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
I have an original M2500 drop in. The driver has 105c printed on it and 4 stars, none of which are connected.

The light has 3 levels and mode memory.

I would like to get rid of mod memory and always start on high, or low, either one.

Any idea what connecting the 4 stars does? I can't find the info.

Thanks,

Steve.

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I have an original M2500 drop in. The driver has 105c printed on it and 4 stars, none of which are connected.

The light has 3 levels and mode memory.

I would like to get rid of mod memory and always start on high, or low, either one.

Any idea what connecting the 4 stars does? I can't find the info.

Thanks,

Steve.

This driver really sucks for MTG2. It's what I have at the time. If you email me I will upgrade you to DriverVn for a good price.

stevenkelby

Enlightened
You're an amazing man Vinh, thank you :)

I do like the light as it is, but will email you now.

Mhgarcia114

Newly Enlightened
I'm looking for some guidance and help on a build. I'm very green in the flashlight modding world so I'm going to start basic with a sure fire 6p host and 18650 battery. I do need help looking for a drop in. I'd like high lumen with multiple modes, ands that's about all I know about what I'm looking for. Thanks. Emails are welcome along with replays on here, my email Is [email protected]. Thanks guys

Shaocaholica

Enlightened
I sent an email but I figure I'd get input from users here as well since I haven't been keeping up with industry since 2007. I have an Exolion Ti CR2 from 2006. It looks like this:

HRgxXe5.jpg

It has a TXOH Luxeon III which is quite dated. The driver is a Flupic, board is etched 'v4'. Reflector is a McGizmo McR16 (16mm). The opening is approximately the size for a LuxIII (~5.8mm).

I was wondering:

1)What a suitable upgrade to the emitter would be?
2)Should I get a new driver (current driver 800mA burst)? I'm only interested in Burst/Med/moonlight or even 1 mode burst.
3)What kind of beam will a 16mm reflector like this with a dedomed emitter produce?
4)What would -you- do if this were your light :) Keep in mind it doesn't have to be practical. There are plenty of practical off-the-shelf lights.

Edit: I think the original driver burst mode was 800mA

Last edited:

Skylumen

Newly Enlightened
I sent an email but I figure I'd get input from users here as well since I haven't been keeping up with industry since 2007. I have an Exolion Ti CR2 from 2006. It looks like this:

HRgxXe5.jpg

It has a TXOH Luxeon III which is quite dated. The driver is a Flupic, board is etched 'v4'. Reflector is a McGizmo McR16 (16mm). The opening is approximately the size for a LuxIII (~5.8mm).

I was wondering:

1)What a suitable upgrade to the emitter would be?
2)Should I get a new driver (current driver 800mA burst)? I'm only interested in Burst/Med/moonlight or even 1 mode burst.
3)What kind of beam will a 16mm reflector like this with a dedomed emitter produce?
4)What would -you- do if this were your light :) Keep in mind it doesn't have to be practical. There are plenty of practical off-the-shelf lights.

Edit: I think the original driver burst mode was 800mA

If that light fits a DriverVN and you got a killer cool small light