• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

calipsoii

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hoo boy, that machining! Thing must spend hours in the mill. Looks really good. Sounds like Moodoo's gonna be by tomorrow so I look forward to hearing the specifics.

Some questions:
- The email says you guys are using your own drivers. When I look at that head I see a contact PCB in the base, a 3-Up MCPCB at the top, and no wires in the middle. I'd guess they're being routed through the pillars? Is the light engine entirely contained on the MCPCB like the FL33? When the user goes to swap it are they soldering or do you have some kind of socket power attachment going on?
- How bloody long does that thing take to machine? It's gorgeous to look at but it must take forever!

FPSRelic

Enlightened
Are there beamshots available? In the description, it says "Choose CREE XPL for maximum output and tigher beam", Does this have a tighter beam than the XPE2 models? Most importantly of all, will there be a P60 Drop in variant available?

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
Are there beamshots available? In the description, it says "Choose CREE XPL for maximum output and tigher beam", Does this have a tighter beam than the XPE2 models? Most importantly of all, will there be a P60 Drop in variant available?

I'd be interested to know also.
If there is going to be a P60 variant I'd be in for a neutral XPL and cooling bezel.

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'd be interested to know also.
If there is going to be a P60 variant I'd be in for a neutral XPL and cooling bezel.

On second thoughts these XPL models are probably much better suited to the Moddoolar format currently show cased rather than P60 thermal path wise and replacement of parts etc.
A 130 sized tube would be a must too for me as I'm guessing run time would be incredibly short on 2x18350 to get max power.
Then there's the next thing, I like the mc clicky. Will it handle the 6 amps or would a zero rez be more suited/necessary?
There's a lot to like about the V4 P60 modules for me when I look at it.
A Moddoolar XPL head with 130 tube and triad tail would be a beast though.

Last edited:

IsaacL

Enlightened
I'll do my best to answer some questions since no one has chimed in yet.

Is the light engine entirely contained on the MCPCB like the FL33?

Yes, the light engine is an integrated board from Lux-RC.

When the user goes to swap it are they soldering or do you have some kind of socket power attachment going on?

The positive and negative terminals on the driver are a pair of gold plated pins. This allows for easy attachment and reattachment without solder.

Dan or Tom please correct me if I'm wrong here.

Are there beamshots available? In the description, it says "Choose CREE XPL for maximum output and tighter beam", Does this have a tighter beam than the XPE2 models? Most importantly of all, will there be a P60 Drop in variant available?

If the F3 uses the optics that I think it does ;) then you should have a very tight/high candela beam. Hopefully the Oveready guys can provide more info on this.

Then there's the next thing, I like the mc clicky. Will it handle the 6 amps or would a zero rez be more suited/necessary?

The 6A is current output. Current input is capped at ~3A. IIRC the driver converts the extra voltage into more forward amperes. That is why the light is optimally powered by two cells (input 2.5-9.5V).

Last edited:

KITROBASKIN

Flashlight Enthusiast
Due to the airflow design of the Wasp head, I don't see how a P60 option would be possible. I am interested in different mode and voltage possibilities as well as being able to update the LED. And a ~2 and one half inch reflector option for serious throw. And a non-tint shifted 'custom dome' and....

That head looks really, really nice. Gorgeous

F89

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'll do my best to answer some questions since no one has chimed in yet.

Yes, the light engine is an integrated board from Lux-RC.

The positive and negative terminals on the driver are a pair of gold plated pins. This allows for easy attachment and reattachment without solder.

Dan or Tom please correct me if I'm wrong here.

If the F3 uses the optics that I think it does ;) then you should have a very tight/high candela beam. Hopefully the Oveready guys can provide more info on this.

The 6A is current output. Current input is capped at ~3A. The boost regulator converts the extra voltage into more forward amperes. That is why the driver is optimally powered by two cells (input 2.5-9.5V).

Makes sense, cheers.

recDNA

Flashaholic
Launching today via OVEREADY Insider 55. Subscribe to this thread for real time updates.
Really nice looking head. Do holes affect water resistance? What is the high current draw for the triple nichia vs the triple xpl? Is there a clip available for the diamond tailcap. I would need a clip but not a triad fan (sorry). Thanks.

IsaacL

Enlightened
Really nice looking head. Do holes affect water resistance? What is the high current draw for the triple nichia vs the triple xpl?

No. The head is still sealed.

I believe amp input should be the same for both but the output is lower. 5.4A for 219B vs 6A for XP-L on two cells.

What size trits fit into the trit slots? Also really curious on what the triple xpl output and beam shape will be like.

If you mean lumen output, 2600 for XP-L and 1350 for 219B.

Last edited:

recDNA

Flashaholic
No. The head is still sealed.

Amp input should be the same for both but the output is lower. 5.4A for 219B compared to 6A for XP-L on two cells.

If you mean lumen output, 2600 for XP-L and 1350 for 219B.
Thanks.so maybe 30 minutes on 18650?

KDM

Flashlight Enthusiast
Very nice! I'm looking forward to getting my hands on the 219 model when they are available. You guys put out some great products! Carried my copper E2E last night, love that light!

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
Moddoolar head with Neutral XPL LMH is on my wish list. Black HA. TRIT SLOTS !!!

I'll take the head in Natural, but needs trit slots....

Maybe a 2x18650 zerorez shorty to go with it (TL100 if i don't already have it).

Last edited:

IsaacL

Enlightened
Thanks.so maybe 30 minutes on 18650?

According to Serge...
334 [driver] is limited by 3 amp (input amperage) running one and two cells. So if you plan using one cell, the total power is limited by 10W. With two sells [sic] you extend it to 20W. High current always leads to larger loss. So, based on this I'd recommend to consider two IMR18350 900mah instead of one IMR18650 2200mah. The total capacity of the 18650 config is 7.9wh, the total capacity of 2x18350 is 6.5wh. The max runtime with 2x18350 @20W will be 6.5/20=0.3h ~ 20 minutes.

I don't know about any 900mAh 18350's that perform that well under a 3A load. However, a pair of 800mAh AW IMR18350 would give you about ~18 minutes on high (theoretically).

By my calculations a single 2200mAh IMR would be 3.7V • 2.2Ah = 8.14Wh. At 10W current draw you get about 49 minutes on high.

Please double check my math ;)

recDNA

Flashaholic
But why would a single 18650 imr draw less current or is it the same current but fewer watts ...and does fewer watts mean lower output? I'm a biologist not an engineer.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
But why would a single 18650 imr draw less current or is it the same current but fewer watts ...and does fewer watts mean lower output? I'm a biologist not an engineer.

Less current for one cell. The light knows whether there are one or two cells and draws power accordingly. I often use 2 x imr 18350s in my moddoolar setups.