• You must be a Supporting Member to participate in the Candle Power Forums Marketplace.

You can become a Supporting Member.

Moddoolar Triple Wasp Cooling Head and Glow System

IsaacL

Enlightened
Right on nfetterly!

To get 20W from a single 18650 you'd need to pull about 5.4A. That would generate greater resistance...which equals lots of heat...very inefficient. So the driver counts the cells and adjusts accordingly. Even IF it ran at 20W on one cell, the max runtime on high would be less than 25min.

Just for fun I calculated runtime for 20W output using a 3600mAh 18650. Only ~30min when you're pulling 5A+!!!Compare that to two 900mAh 18350's for ~20min...easy to understand why the two cell is a better setup. A lot less power lost as heat would bring those theoretical numbers even closer together.

Disclaimer: real runtime will vary by a wide range of factors as well as features of the driver itself...like the 10% power saving mode.

Last edited:

ElectronGuru

Flashaholic
Could we get more details regarding user replaceable internals? This is exciting for sure.

The lens (held inside the bezel ring) is holding down the optic, which in turn is holding down the board. Remove the ring and optic and there are 5 things inside:

board/engine
positive wire
negative wire
thermal compound
GID frame (left in place)

Unhook the wires (attached with solderless connectors), and the only thing holding in the board is thermal compound. Remove both and you can apply new compound, slide in a new board, attach the wires, and reinstall the front.

Our intention is that as future boards become available, you can leverage your Moddoolar investment even further. Buying just a new board when the next LED comes out, for example. The installation is somewhat advanced, so we may offer an upgrade service.

When will the Triple F3 be available?

We are working to make F3/XPL models available as soon as possible. Best case is next week, but it may be longer. I'll update post 1 as we know more.

Looks amazingly awesome.

Did have a question about the "first & only open airflow flashlight" idea, though .... Isn't the Lux-RC FL33 built with a similar open LED pedestal design ? I guess that one has fins instead of hollow ribs for the airflow, but it seems like a similar concept to me

And, of course, the GatLight is almost completely structurally "open" and exposed to the environment. Not only the LED is just sandwiched between the plates / rings / struts, but even the battery "compartment" is in direct contact with the outside air.

Or am I missing something else ?

Sorry for the confusion. I tend toward understatement and tried being less so this time. Lux RC uses a traditional outside/in design, shrinking the center as far as possible. GAT adds separate pieces to form a structural cage. Wasp is a single piece inside/out design, having both perimeter structure and interior airflow.

Will there be single-mode versions of this or is that firmly in the past now?

We launched with the most popular options. Single mode tend to be the last sold of any model. We remain committed to single mode requirements and hope to have them later next year. In the mean time, shoot me a PM if you would be interested in an H1 xpg2 build.

Are there beamshots available? In the description, it says "Choose CREE XPL for maximum output and tighter beam", Does this have a tighter beam than the XPE2 models? Most importantly of all, will there be a P60 Drop in variant available?

We have no beam shot or runtime information yet ready but are working on it. Tighter than our alternative 219 option, our XPL option is similar in throw to the XPG2.

Our new cooling approach is only possible because of the Moddoolar's 1 piece head design. P60s have 3 pieces, the drop in wall, body wall, and bezel wall. So any P60 design must push heat through all 3 layers before it even reaches the air. So its certainly possible to install our newest boards into drop ins, but with standard thermal limitations.

I'll do my best to answer some questions since no one has chimed in yet.

Thanks for jumping in!

Really nice looking head. Do holes affect water resistance? What is the high current draw for the triple nichia vs the triple xpl? Is there a clip available for the diamond tailcap. I would need a clip but not a triad fan (sorry). Thanks.

The original head had two compartments, separated by one wall. Structurally, this is just two compartments, separated by two walls, making a third (externally exposed) compartment in the center. Water wont be reaching the components via these openings.

DB caps don't have enough 'meat' for screw holes. But Moddoolar tail threads are Z41 compatible, so you can select from any tailcap with adequate amperage rating. I'll ask Tom to comment on these requirements.

What size trits fit into the trit slots? Also really curious on what the triple xpl output and beam shape will be like.

There are six 2x8mm slots. The beam is tighter, with more artifacts than the 219.

Thanks.so maybe 30 minutes on 18650?

Runtime is not yet tested but E and F single cell power draw is increased less than dual cell draw increase and should be similiar to H (v4.0) single cell power draw and runtime.

To add to my list TL50's, where have they gone?

We made 50s along with the the recent 35s and 65s but a downstream vendor made an error. We've not been able to make more but will have them next year.

UPDATE
black options sold out
2 natural heads left, both on this page
remaining heads will be moved to the head page tonight

Last edited:

gktii

Enlightened
Just missed it!! Had the last one in my cart and someone snagged it just as i was checking out....Bummer! :mecry:

el_Pablo

Enlightened
Wow guys you impress me!

Great design, and the ability to upgrade the board/led overtime make it really modular!

Keep impressing us.

Sent from my iPad using Candlepowerforums

mikesantor

Enlightened
Great design, and the ability to upgrade the board/led overtime make it really modular!

This part right here is clutch. Im really contemplating switching ALL my weapons mounted lights to this system if they are going to release boards. I have all P60 on my weapons now due to the fact that the drop ins can be upgraded. The Modoolar system defiantly has better heat sinking capabilities.

Looks like it is time to start building all new tourchlabs lights for the Arsenal...

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I missed out on the initial batch, but I will be getting one.... or two!
Can't decide whether to get 219 or XPL. Might have to get both!

Love the idea and the look, and the execution looks fantastic! Great idea with the upgradeable boards too!
You guys are putting out the highest quality stuff anywhere! It is awesome product!

I'm also wondering about the CCT of the XPL.
Maybe if the neutral is around 5000K, that would do it for me! Hi-CRI at 5000K CCT is my dream beam.

nfetterly

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've traded some emails with the Oveready folks - I pointed out that it doesn't seem like there are many (I believe none) posts saying "can hardly wait for the cool version"

Since I already have XPG2 and 219B Moddoolar heads I'm really looking forward to neutral XML LMH triple Wasp

Hmm, meant to edit post above...., sorry!

drillbitz11

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed on the overready site that the head is available in two versions. One is specific to moddoolar hosts only and one is compatible with the moddoolar and E series /scout hosts. Are they actually two different heads or is there some sort of adapter involved with the second "E series" option.

twl

Flashlight Enthusiast
I've traded some emails with the Oveready folks - I pointed out that it doesn't seem like there are many (I believe none) posts saying "can hardly wait for the cool version"

Hmm, meant to edit post above...., sorry!
I have the cool XPG2 head and the neutral 4500K XPE head. I find that the 4500K is a bit too warm for my taste, but I can live with it. I think the cool XPG2 is almost snow white, and I love it, but I know a lot of cools run toward blue. I would like to replace my 4500K XPE neutral with something just a little cooler, around 5000K. If that is not an option, I would opt for cool.

KeeblerElf

Enlightened
Dumb question: do the trit options simply have a trit slot, or is installation available as well?

Very excited about these new offerings!

KeeblerElf

Enlightened

I will almost certainly opt for the cool version myself. :)

Toolboxkid

Enlightened
Really nice looking head. Do holes affect water resistance? What is the high current draw for the triple nichia vs the triple xpl? Is there a clip available for the diamond tailcap. I would need a clip but not a triad fan (sorry). Thanks.

I too, would prefer diamond tailcap, but a clip is a must. Is this possible? And need neutral tint. I presume the nichia 219's are neutral but do not have any experience with them yet. This head looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Candlepowerforums

IsaacL

Enlightened
I noticed on the overready site that the head is available in two versions. One is specific to moddoolar hosts only and one is compatible with the moddoolar and E series /scout hosts. Are they actually two different heads or is there some sort of adapter involved with the second "E series" option.

Same heads but with the $18 E-series adapter included. Also sold separately here.

I too, would prefer diamond tailcap, but a clip is a must. Is this possible? And need neutral tint. I presume the nichia 219's are neutral but do not have any experience with them yet.

Yes, the 219B's are neutral. Specifically 4500K. My Tri-EDC is running neutral 219B's and the tint is beautiful. Nichia is well known for making the best high CRI LED's (nothing against the neutral XP-G2's). They should look fantastic in the Wasp heads as well. Plus, 1350 lumens is pretty great for a Nichia setup if I say so myself :)

Last edited: