Modified TN31

Bwolcott

Enlightened
getting really close to pulling the trigger on one of these but need to figure out what to ask for my catapult and AW cells. I really have no idea what used stuff in great condition is worth. does it lose much value?

start at 100, you can get the v3 for 135 and I see yours is the v2

hahoo

Enlightened
Ok took three AW cells out of a Legion II. They were all just about 3.97V. First impression is this thing is bright but not that bright. That is, until I ran it up against some other lights. I would say 2x as bright seems like a good estimate of some other XML lights I have. But they are not decapitated. Very clean job with the dedoming! I don't really know what to shine this up against. It's clearly brighter than the Deft I have pictured above. Batteries are all back on chargers so I can't wait to see what this looks like later when it starts getting dark. The tint is very neutral and similar to some of the NW lights that I have. Very pleased with this light and look forward to some OMG models!
PS I think I still see spots from shining this off the walls.

dont you loose lumens when the tint goes back down the scale ??

DON KIDIK

Newly Enlightened
Thanks for the reply Michael.
I have PMd you here and via your contact us on the thrower site.

Thanks
DON...

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi fellow OSTS TN31 owners.

I still have my TN31 and a Fandyfire from OSTS on their way to Australia.

Can the guys that already have theirs tell us what the tint of the newly de-domed and modded U2 LED looks like.

I have the original Cool White TN31 with the U2 in it to compare them together when I get my Saabed TN31.

I know Saab said it was a nice neutral colour, but what do you guys feel about it that already are lucky enough to have it.

Cheers

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine this morning. Certified 245K. Waiting for dark.

You got just over the quoted spec at the average point roughly.

I am just wondering if the buyers of Saab's TN31 will start getting cranky or jealous because some people will receive a light that does 223Kcd and others have already received their TN31 Certified at 275Kcd.

I don't mind getting the 242Kcd as I ordered.

I am just concerned because us buyers are only human and going to state in these posts what Kcd they got Certified on their TN31 from Saab.

It may have been better if Saab had Certified the TN31 to each buyer under the strict condition that they did not disclose that Kcd figure on CPF.

Let's just see what eventuates.

Cheers

walterr839

Enlightened
my thoughts exactly see post #102
it's a great light and I guess within tolerance but being at the bottom of the scale has a hollow feeling to it.

saabluster

Flashlight Enthusiast
You got just over the quoted spec at the average point roughly.

I am just wondering if the buyers of Saab's TN31 will start getting cranky or jealous because some people will receive a light that does 223Kcd and others have already received their TN31 Certified at 275Kcd.

I don't mind getting the 242Kcd as I ordered.

I am just concerned because us buyers are only human and going to state in these posts what Kcd they got Certified on their TN31 from Saab.

It may have been better if Saab had Certified the TN31 to each buyer under the strict condition that they did not disclose that Kcd figure on CPF.

Let's just see what eventuates.

Cheers

This only works if people are reasonable.:poke: Every single light you buy is subject to variations. We are not even talking about leaving the bounds of a single LED bin here. Would you be upset at Cree for supplying you an LED that was at the bottom but still in the allotted bin? When you buy a U2 LED you are not buying an LED binned down to a singular number. There is a range in that bin.

I have made the bold step to supply you guys with information. Name me one other company that is willing to do this. I think this is a good thing as now you know the exact performance of your light and know it has been tested before leaving my hands to assure the light is operating properly. How many companies do you suppose actually test each and every light on a meter? With this exact figure you can then "calibrate" your setup to be in line with mine if you so choose.

What I am doing is exceeding the ANSI guidelines to some degree. They say the quoted figure should be the average of the peak readings from three lights. I too am reporting the average figure which is indeed a very fair way to do this both for the manufacturer and for the end party. It most accurately represents what you might get. I think their(ANSI) allowance of only 3 lights to provide the peak beam data is fundamentally flawed. That is not statistically significant in my experience. It should be at least 10 units tested. I think with the TN-31's figures I tested 13.

The bottom line is that you cannot tell the difference between a 223Kcd light and a 242Kcd one. You just can't. I went outside to see for myself. So the bottom line is this. We can either keep this current method of openness or ditch it and be like everyone else and you never know what you have exactly. I'd be more than happy to dispense with the testing as it just means more work for me.

The other thing we could do is try and make every single light perform exactly the same since that is what "you ordered" and we wouldn't want any variation as then that means someone else has something more than you. But then to accomplish that I will have to raise the price to $1000 to account for the time it would take to, mix and match parts, throw out low binned LEDs, and the constant testing and retesting. Is this what you would prefer? But keep in mind that $1000 would just get you lights that are all the same at about 242Kcd. To get to where all the lights met the highest spec would require massive amounts of testing and throwing away hundreds of LEDs. Expect your light to then cost $2000 or more. And for what? Peace of mind? Because you sure aren't going to actually see a difference with your eyes. Trying to force an unnatural outcome onto a manufacturing process is ridiculous in the extreme.

I have been as honest and open with the figures as I can. I think people in general appreciate this. But if it becomes a problem where people create a fuss over receiving the lower binned lights than we will just put a stop to the testing and openness. What would you guys prefer?

Last edited:

jfl

Newly Enlightened
Fellas, please let's not go overboard on this one. I think Michael has been more than fair and extremely kind in doing all this testing for us.

If I could make an analogy: The modified TN31 is like life itself. Some of us will get more years than others. This may seem unfair, although in actuality it is not. It's not the number of years that counts as much as how we use the time we have been given.

We already have a light that blows away anything else in its class. Can we just be happy with what we receive and use it well?

tatasal

Flashlight Enthusiast
This only works if people are reasonable.:poke: Every single light you buy is subject to variations. We are not even talking about leaving the bounds of a single LED bin here. Would you be upset at Cree for supplying you an LED that was at the bottom but still in the allotted bin? When you buy a U2 LED you are not buying an LED binned down to a singular number. There is a range in that bin.

I have made the bold step to supply you guys with information. Name me one other company that is willing to do this. I think this is a good thing as now you know the exact performance of your light and know it has been tested before leaving my hands to assure the light is operating properly. How many companies do you suppose actually test each and every light on a meter? With this exact figure you can then "calibrate" your setup to be in line with mine if you so choose.

What I am doing is exceeding the ANSI guidelines to some degree. They say the quoted figure should be the average of the peak readings from three lights. I too am reporting the average figure which is indeed a very fair way to do this both for the manufacturer and for the end party. It most accurately represents what you might get. I think their(ANSI) allowance of only 3 lights to provide the peak beam data is fundamentally flawed. That is not statistically significant in my experience. It should be at least 10 units tested. I think with the TN-31's figures I tested 13.

The bottom line is that you cannot tell the difference between a 223Kcd light and a 242Kcd one. You just can't. I went outside to see for myself. So the bottom line is this. We can either keep this current method of openness or ditch it and be like everyone else and you never know what you have exactly. I'd be more than happy to dispense with the testing as it just means more work for me.

The other thing we could do is try and make every single light perform exactly the same since that is what "you ordered" and we wouldn't want any variation as then that means someone else has something more than you. But then to accomplish that I will have to raise the price to $1000 to account for the time it would take to, mix and match parts, throw out low binned LEDs, and the constant testing and retesting. Is this what you would prefer? But keep in mind that $1000 would just get you lights that are all the same at about 242Kcd. To get to where all the lights met the highest spec would require massive amounts of testing and throwing away hundreds of LEDs. Expect your light to then cost $2000 or more. And for what? Peace of mind? Because you sure aren't going to actually see a difference with your eyes. Trying to force an unnatural outcome onto a manufacturing process is ridiculous in the extreme.

I have been as honest and open with the figures as I can. I think people in general appreciate this. But if it becomes a problem where people create a fuss over receiving the lower binned lights than we will just put a stop to the testing and openness. What would you guys prefer?

Very well said....I like and appreciate your 'business philosophy'

Marc85495

Newly Enlightened
Fellas, please let's not go overboard on this one. I think Michael has been more than fair and extremely kind in doing all this testing for us.

If I could make an analogy: The modified TN31 is like life itself. Some of us will get more years than others. This may seem unfair, although in actuality it is not. It's not the number of years that counts as much as how we use the time we have been given.

We already have a light that blows away anything else in its class. Can we just be happy with what we receive and use it well?

I agree 150%.

... or is it 147%...?!? :p

Fresh Light

Enlightened
Maybe people would be willing to pay a premium for some exceedingly high performers and only measure them.

Last edited:

Oztorchfreak

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe people would be willing to pay a premium for some exceedingly high performers.

That's not a bad idea Fresh Light as it would be PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.

It could be broken up into sections of Kcd, say 225-245Kcd and 245 to 275Kcd and the higher Kcd is the Premium thrower.

Hang on a second but, can we really tell the difference in our eyes perceiving an object lit up by either of these figures using a 225Kcd TN31 and a 275Kcd TN31?

This is a good question for Michael.

Cheers

Marc85495

Newly Enlightened
That's not a bad idea Fresh Light as it would be PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET.

It could be broken up into sections of Kcd, say 225-245Kcd and 245 to 275Kcd and the higher Kcd is the Premium thrower.

Hang on a second but, can we really tell the difference in our eyes perceiving an object lit up by either of these figures using a 225Kcd TN31 and a 275Kcd TN31?

Cheers

Michael mentioned that we just *can't* see the difference between 223 Kcd and 242 Kcd. If our eyes *could* see a difference from 223 Kcd to 275Kcd, I doubt the difference would actually make a big difference..

f22shift

Flashlight Enthusiast
Maybe people would be willing to pay a premium for some exceedingly high performers and only measure them.
That's my first reaction. But how do you do it?
Charge a surcharge for each incremental amount. But what if everyone wants the most output versions. Then there are low performers sitting on inventory holding up capital. These are made to order.
Maybe it'll work. The deft edc had different price levels..

Fresh Light

Enlightened

Cheers

I'm thinking that you cannot. Like I said when I got this thing I knew it was going to be bright, but I couldn't tell it was brighter than some of my other lights until I put them side by side. First thing I compared it to was the DEFT, and i wasn't so sure that it was brighter at first. I know the DEFT isn't anywhere near 200k lux. We're not talking about a 600k lux cloud spotter here, but it's still double the lux of a factory light and that is significant. I wanted this light because it's smaller than some of my other lights and to support OMG projects, plus I get the brightest thrower you can buy.