Morakniv/Mora Knives

PB Wilson

Newly Enlightened
I heard back that they might not be in for a month or two (or three) but I dig it and will grab a few for sure.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got to use my Mora 2/0 a bit last weekend. One thing that stands out is that it held its edge well. Was hacking away and shaving wood and when all was done the edge was still quite sharp. For a small knife it did well however a bigger handle would have made it easier to work with. The small blade was fine though. I actually attempted to make a fire using the knife and a fire starter (was not that easy). Good beater.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Got to use my Mora 2/0 a bit last weekend. One thing that stands out is that it held its edge well. Was hacking away and shaving wood and when all was done the edge was still quite sharp. For a small knife it did well however a bigger handle would have made it easier to work with. The small blade was fine though. I actually attempted to make a fire using the knife and a fire starter (was not that easy). Good beater.

Did your try to use it as a ferro rod striker or as a traditional flint and steel striker. If ferro rod is your game file the spine flat. It will toss sparks like a dragon.

For more traditional methods using charcloth isn't so hard though question how often people charred their clothing back in the day.

Using stuff in the woods a bit harder. Personally if my back was against the wall I would spin a coal first.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Used it with a rod and I made the spine square so sparks wasn't the problem. Having the sparks catch and growing the fire was the problem.

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
Woods Walker, I'm guessing you've used quite a few ferro rods, have you found any one that's better then the others? I'm using a Doans bar.

Woods Walker

The Wood is cut, The Bacon is cooked, Now it’s tim
Woods Walker, I'm guessing you've used quite a few ferro rods, have you found any one that's better then the others? I'm using a Doans bar.

I don't have a Doans but do sometimes use another brand which is made in the USA and I suspect it's made at Doans. Some rods work differently than others but they all (or at least all I have tried) can be made to work. My overall preferred is the Stikeforce and LMF but use whatever is on hand. Here is the mag bar and ferro rod combo doing a one strike fire using a Mora Companion. Naturally there is no rule as for the number of strikes required. The only hard rule of firecraft is getting and sustaining a fire. Everything else is mostly semantics. We could work out what your issue was if I had more info. I suspect proper tinder bundle and twig fire methodologies would resolve the issues.

Last edited:

P_A_S_1

Flashlight Enthusiast
I think I was simply trying to get a piece of wood that was too large to catch up. I was able to get a good portion of it glowing with an ember that smoked quite a bit but couldn't get it to ignite. I started by fraying up and feathering a portion of the wood, dusting it with the magnesium, and then sparking it. The most flame I could get was somewhat small and nothing like you did in the video. They were also short lived (the flames), a few minutes max, leaving the smoldering embers which would glow hot but not catch.