More EV negatives

Status
Not open for further replies.

TPA

Enlightened
But he can not, no money in the world can, poverty is not in pockets, but in minds. It is inconvenient truth, but it is.
This is absolutely correct. At one point I was living out of my car, but even at that, I still didn't think of myself as poor.

I've been to remote villages which had no electricity nor running water, nor have ever seen modern technology. YET, they didn't consider themselves to be poor either. Every morning when I take a nice, hot shower, I'm thankful for it, because I know it's a luxury.

However... My buddy's wife keeps screaming (literally) that she wants a new house. The $700k house they have now isn't good enough for her. She wants to live in the more prestigious community, in a house "that costs at least $1 million," according to her. She also wants him to "get a better job" so she can stop working...and she's absolutely serious without shame when she says this. Imagine being THAT poor!

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
However... My buddy's wife keeps screaming (literally) that she wants a new house. The $700k house they have now isn't good enough for her. She wants to live in the more prestigious community, in a house "that costs at least $1 million," according to her. She also wants him to "get a better job" so she can stop working...and she's absolutely serious without shame when she says this. Imagine being THAT poor!
In Pushkin's poem, an old man and woman have been living poorly for many years. They have a small hut, and every day the man goes out to fish. One day, he throws in his net and pulls out seaweed two times in succession, but on the third time he pulls out a golden fish. The fish pleads for its life, promising any wish in return. However, the old man is scared by the fact that a fish can speak; he says he does not want anything, and lets the fish go.

When he returns and tells his wife about the golden fish, she gets angry and tells her husband to go ask the fish for a new trough, as theirs is broken, and the fish happily grants this small request. The next day, the wife asks for a new house, and the fish grants this also. Then, in succession, the wife asks for a palace, to become a noble lady, to become the ruler of her province, to become the tsarina, and finally to become the Ruler of the Sea and to subjugate the golden fish completely to her boundless will. As the man goes to ask for each item, the sea becomes more and more stormy, until the last request, where the man can hardly hear himself think. When he asks that his wife be made the Ruler of the Sea, the fish cures her greed by putting everything back to the way it was before, including the broken trough.

Reactions: TPA

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Sorry but i can't agree, without going too far into politics, your reality is what you build around you, if you look around and see absolute squalor, you do everything to get out of there, you adopt and overcome. It is true that most people do not have that power to do something about it. that power is in their mind, IF they did, reality around them would change.
Genuinely not sure what politics has to do with it. But fair enough, let's avoid that. I do agree with you that a positive and determined mindset can go a very long way in helping folks overcome poverty and squalor. But honestly, I see very real limitations in just mindset or mentality. Are there women in 3rd World nations who rent themselves out to different men on a nightly basis to put food on the table for their children? Absolutely, unfortunately. Many try to be discrete but in overcrowded villages, all the men know who to chat up if they're looking for release with no commitments. You do what you have to do to survive. But no doubt, a large chunk of money goes a helluva long way to get out of poverty.

Also, apologies for the delay as I couldn't find that Invoice for the Life of me until this morning. It was for a new Purge valve. The valve itself was only $90.oo but the labor at that garage is $110.oo per hour. Even with the wait time of 9 hours last week and the total bill of around $373.oo, honestly; I'd likely have had a heart-attack on the spot if I was told my repair bill would be $60,000.oo to replace anything on my out of warranty car.

All I'd be able to do then is just sign the pink-slip over to the garage, and ask the owner if I could please have a courtesy ride back to my home. Literally nothing else I could do after that. In my neck of the woods, every used car dealer is a Pre-owned dealer with only Luxury models being stocked. All except one. A genuine old-fashioned Used Cars dealer with a trailer and a lot full of older very non-luxury cars. One guess where I'd be headed to the very next morning if my bill was $60K.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Odd the things you remember.... This was about the time I first joined CPF. Member was telling the story of how he encountered a Middle-aged woman one day. Struck up a conversation with her. Asked how she's doing. She complained about not having any food in her home most days. He felt sorry for her, and offered to buy her a couple of bags of groceries. She was delighted! He got her address, and stopped by the very next day. I think you know where this is going....

He shows up. Sees a huge house! Practically a mansion. Sees a Jaguar, and a large Luxury SUV parked up-front on the property itself. (She mentioned she lives alone.) He had to check and re-check that he was at the correct address, several times! Once he was sure, he was absolutely disgusted. Left the groceries by the front-door, rang the door-bell, and then left himself before she had a chance to come out. He never encountered her again.

Mentality is important. But from an objective stand-point, if you get a typical American Working Class stiff, and show him how someone is living; then ask him if the person is living in crippling poverty.... There's your answer! If the dude pulls out his wallet and tells the person, "Please take this money. You need it more than I do. I insist!" Well to heck with mentality.

Reactions: TPA

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
I watched my mum driving off this morning and a Tesla model Y was going the other way. I then realised how it absolutely dwarfed my mums car in size and weight (over twice the weight) and I realised that if she were in an accident with one she would be unlikely to survive. It would just destroy my mums trusty little old car - which the driver of it may see as a positive to them that they can smash others out the way without injury but for me it seems like just more risk on the road for those who are not spending thousands to drive such massive potentially lethal machines - often recklessly.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Tesla Y is a smallish car by US standards, I do not consider my honda passport big, but i would not put my kids in anything smaller these days. I'm looking into getting a tahoe, armada, sequoia, when this lease is over, yea i'll be paying more for gas, and for a car itself, but we'll be better off in case of a crash than in a smaller car, too many idiots on roads lately.

Lowglow

Newly Enlightened
Tesla Y is a smallish car by US standards, I do not consider my honda passport big, but i would not put my kids in anything smaller these days. I'm looking into getting a tahoe, armada, sequoia, when this lease is over, yea i'll be paying more for gas, and for a car itself, but we'll be better off in case of a crash than in a smaller car, too many idiots on roads lately.
We don't get that model in the UK but it looks chunky!
I suppose we will just have to drive a little more cautious and keep out of the faster motorway lanes where the giant cars hold sway.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
...Poverty is not in the mind. It is very much reality for many...
Seems like it can be either. Or both.
...poverty is not in pockets, but in minds....
Seems like it can be in either. Or both.
...when a person looks around and they are living in absolute squalor, with literally nothing to give to their starving children to eat; that's not a mentality issue. That's a lack of money to buy food issue....
...I do agree with you that a positive and determined mindset can go a very long way in helping folks overcome poverty and squalor. But honestly, I see very real limitations in just mindset or mentality...
Seems on balance to me.
Togas and long beards for for everyone!
Philosopher copy.jpeg

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
YEa we can only do so much, lots of things on roads are beyond our control
How expensive are older land rovers in UK?

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
We don't get that model in the UK but it looks chunky!
I suppose we will just have to drive a little more cautious and keep out of the faster motorway lanes where the giant cars hold sway.
There are smaller EVs and ICEs available, no? Sounds like the UK needs some tighter size constraints for the narrower roadways. Curious, would something like the SUVs @alpg88 is looking into be legal on UK roads?

Monocrom

Flashaholic
YEa we can only do so much, lots of things on roads are beyond our control
How expensive are older land rovers in UK?
Surprisingly affordable with over 60K miles on the odometer, since they're just as unreliable as they are in America. Unless you buy an older no-frills military Land Rover. Those are incredibly reliable.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
There are smaller EVs and ICEs available, no? Sounds like the UK needs some tighter size constraints for the narrower roadways. Curious, would something like the SUVs @alpg88 is looking into be legal on UK roads?
why wouldn't they be? toyota land cruiser is sold in uk, same size as sequoia, , mb gls is similar size, sold in uk, RR Cullinan is just as big. Cadillac escalade is sold in uk same car as tahoe, just a luxury trim.

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
That surprises me. Any time I've been to Europe, the cars were notably smaller, but it's been a while. The image of a Tahoe on the streets of London is almost comical. It seems the big vehicle thing has been a growing problem for Europe. Had no idea. Shrinking vehicles would be a welcome trend. Here and abroad.

alpg88

Flashlight Enthusiast
Cars are getting bigger, it is a double edge sword, cars are getting bigger to be safer, (you need all that space for proper crumple zones, safety cages...) but otoh they become unsafe for those they collide with.
look at 1994 civic and 2024, it is bigger than 1994 accord.
Itis tough for europe, cuz their roads were built before cars became common, and so numerous, they can not make roads wider, they would have to knock down buildings, in usa road network was build when cars were bigger than we have today, a family sedan in 50- 60s were bigger than large suv today as far as width and length.

Last edited:

mrfixitman

Enlightened

The above is another post that is not going to win @mrfixitman any converts or friends. Everyone understands that it is verboten to change the wording of another member's post when quoting it sans also including a Fixed It For You tag.

@alpg88 Called out @mrfixitman concerning the bad behavior, but as yet mrfixitman has not seen fit to clean up the 💩 he dumped on this thread.
No, no, no. You guys make it politics. I am just telling you what is going to happen based on my research. Believe it or stuff it. You guys should do your own research. When I say kicking and screaming, it is market forces that will cause this boo hooing. Unless you are saying Beta tape, Kodak's failure and BlackBerry and Nokia's demise was political. Where's your 8track? It was economics. All products get better faster and cheaper, one way or another. Electric cars are better and faster. Cheaper to come....here comes the Chinese and Tesla. Ford, GM and Toyota... bankruptcy because they can't turn their large ships fast enough. Model Y's battery is $5,500.00. That battery could go in any car. Think of it this way. The battery is the motor. The motor and gear reduction is the transmission. What's an engine replacement cost these days?.

mrfixitman

Enlightened

sim1tti

Newly Enlightened
No, no, no. You guys make it politics. I am just telling you what is going to happen based on my research. Believe it or stuff it. You guys should do your own research. When I say kicking and screaming, it is market forces that will cause this boo hooing. Unless you are saying Beta tape, Kodak's failure and BlackBerry and Nokia's demise was political. Where's your 8track? It was economics. All products get better faster and cheaper, one way or another. Electric cars are better and faster. Cheaper to come....here comes the Chinese and Tesla. Ford, GM and Toyota... bankruptcy because they can't turn their large ships fast enough. Model Y's battery is $5,500.00. That battery could go in any car. Think of it this way. The battery is the motor. The motor and gear reduction is the transmission. What's an engine replacement cost these days?.
@mrfixitman, I believe @Chauncey Gardiner was referring specifically to the quoting error you made in your post #120. You messed up the code in a way that erroneously attributed something to another member that they did not say or appreciate. Easy mistake, but the person you misquoted took offense to being misrepresented (please reference post #125) and you did not correct the error. This is what Chauncey is calling "verboten."

I'd like to point out that you seem very knowledgeable and half of the people here probably agree with many of your positions. Unfortunately your tone invites a dog pile and the way you react makes it difficult to express agreement with you. You get flustered, start getting all grandeous, and then come the insults, which are met in kind. Next comes the politics, and the thread gets killed.

Why can't we talk about EVs withouth the thread getting shut down? That's a rhetorical question, btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.