Most 2022 Chevy Silverado Trims Ditched 12-Volt Outlets

JAS

Flashlight Enthusiast

hamhanded

Enlightened
The socket is old and crappy; good riddance. There's only two problems with usb-c taking its place: inherent complexity/cost, and that it's unlikely auto manufacturers will implement bidirectional charging so that battery boosters can be used to revive a dead car battery with a booster pack. Even that might be a non-issue for EVs.

I'd be happy with a smaller, more reliable, and standardized 12v socket as a compromise.

Reactions: JAS

bykfixer

Flashaholic
If it's a stupid idea, Ford will impliment it, no doubt. Note I'm a Ford fan.

I wonder how they expect folks who use inverters with 12 volt plugs to power the laptop and other items often used in a "work truck". I don't see a usb hole providing 200 watts any time soon.

hamhanded

Enlightened
USB-C 2.1 will spec at 240 watts.
The current spec is 100 watts, which is 20w less than a 10A-fused cig lighter can provide.

I'd love to see 30A power poles in work trucks.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
52586CAA-861C-48C0-A1C7-E2D1406CEC3B.jpeg

My work truck is set up well.
4 of the 12 volt ports, 3 USB ports and a 110v outlet.
The 12 volt port next to the 110 outlet is 20amp

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
How sweet would it be if at some point they have usb-c that puts out 2,000+ watts like a regular 110 volt home outlet? You could almost replace all the wires in your house with it to carry power and data

turbodog

Flashaholic
How sweet would it be if at some point they have usb-c that puts out 2,000+ watts like a regular 110 volt home outlet? You could almost replace all the wires in your house with it to carry power and data
Not gonna happen. Amps are too high at those power levels to fit inside such a small connector w/o melting everything.

And not enough insulation to allow the voltage to be raised.

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Some of the folks I've worked with over the years have direct wired invertors to run their office on wheels. One fellow had a van with a desk bolted to the floor, lamps and a small refrigerator. His chair was bunjee corded to the rear. One year he even had a small Christmas tree velcro'd to the floor.

My favorite was the Suburban a car stereo salesman had with a 12,000 watt system. Dude had 2 alternators in that thing. If I recall correct it also had 2 batteries. At a 711 one night he demonstrated it for my son and I. It was impressive to say the least. I said "how come it doesn't rattle?" He banged on the door and says "concrete". lol Bullet proof glass and concrete. He said "oh and she gets 8 miles per gallon too".

John_Galt

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just like the audio jack, it seems that the era of somewhat outdated, but fully backward compatible utilities is coming to an end. Probably in preparation to a move toward 48v systems. My old f250 work truck had that handy 120ac/12v "cigarette lighter" port arrangement, however I eventually needed to wire a higher power inverter to handle charging multiple devices/laptops/radio chargers etc. It did not seem to like having a load on both the 120 and 12v plugs simultaneously.

Reactions: JAS

PhotonMaster3

Newly Enlightened
Not gonna happen. Amps are too high at those power levels to fit inside such a small connector w/o melting everything.

And not enough insulation to allow the voltage to be raised.
Ha yeah that's for sure. Although it's pretty amazing how much power they can send through PD. I can charge my Acebeam X75 from zero to 100% in less than an hour. I have some PD 3.0 power banks that'll run two laptops at the same time

Mister Ed

Administrator
Staff member
That's gonna make it difficult to plug in radar detectors, etc.
I never understood radar detectors if they actually worked etc. I just remember they would go off a lot when driving near the doors at the grocery store.

I tend to forget my car has a cigarette lighter outlet (not lighter of course).

The Hawk

Enlightened
I never understood radar detectors if they actually worked etc. I just remember they would go off a lot when driving near the doors at the grocery store.

I tend to forget my car has a cigarette lighter outlet (not lighter of course).
I don't drive over the speed limit all the time, but a couple times my radar detector has spotted a police car sitting on the side of the road running radar before I saw it. Overall I think they work pretty good. You are correct in that they also are good at finding grocery stores.