Most lumens for 80$ or less?

hansi22

Newly Enlightened
Hi,

I am looking for an EDC flashlight for 80$ or less with max lumens, I am quite open regarding other features. Summing up the checklist, it does not matter whether LED, Incandescend or HID. LiIons (18650 or 26650) are preferred but not a must. Throw/flood is not an issue. Runtime should be at least 30min on high, 60min or more would be favoured. There should be at least high/low mode, medium mode would be nice but not a must.

So far, I found the Skyray King, which is a 3xXM-L powered by 4x18650 giving ~2200 lumens according to reviews and a nice runtime. It goes for ~80$ at KD. DX has a very similar looking Fandyfire UV-S5 for ~70$.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated!

CarpentryHero

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Dry 3 XML is $78 and the newer models are direct drive in high (which means you need quality batteries)

hansi22

Newly Enlightened
The Dry 3 XML is $78 and the newer models are direct drive in high (which means you need quality batteries)

Thanks for the pointer!

Found a review for the Dry that estimates the output to 2300lm. It looks like the PWM problems are not that significant anymore with the newer driver. Also, found another review that said the Dry will suffer from quite some heat sag after 10s on Turbo, with the Skyray being brighter on high.

yifu

Enlightened
There's absolutely no question.... the DRY 3 XML at 69 dollars. I have one and with a lux meter, it has around 4 times the ceiling bounce of a SC600 which has been measured at around 738 OTF lumens. I have the one with the 5A older driver at 90% duty cycle. The newer ones will drop in output after 20 seconds and are at a lower drive current but still it is quite bright for the money and the ergos is great and not to mention it is smaller or lighter than all the other 3 XML lights

901-Memphis

Enlightened
Your going to consider using a 4x 18650 for edc? That seems a little more than most could carry.

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hi,

I am looking for an EDC flashlight for 80$ or less with max lumens, I am quite open regarding other features. Summing up the checklist, it does not matter whether LED, Incandescend or HID. LiIons (18650 or 26650) are preferred but not a must. Throw/flood is not an issue. Runtime should be at least 30min on high, 60min or more would be favoured. There should be at least high/low mode, medium mode would be nice but not a must.

So far, I found the Skyray King, which is a 3xXM-L powered by 4x18650 giving ~2200 lumens according to reviews and a nice runtime. It goes for ~80$ at KD. DX has a very similar looking Fandyfire UV-S5 for ~70$.

Any recommendations are highly appreciated!

How about a Jetbeam BC25? Small enough to EDC, runs off 18650's or two RCR123's. 650 lumens, High-Low, no blinky modes. 60+ bucks shipped.

Anyway you look at it, might as well get one from a reputable company. Generic lights, though may have fantastic lights, but once you have problems with the light, support is nowhere to be found.

Another good EDC is the PD32 from Fenix. (60+ bucks also)

You could Also get the Klarus XT2C (for about 60+ bucks too)

So many choices in the EDC 18650 range from good brands of manufacturers.

TEEJ

Flashaholic
With no throw/flood preference, and just wanting a lot of lumens for the $...its not an edc...as an edc would need to be reliable, pocket sized, etc.

With no flood/throw preference, its like specifying that you want a screw driver with the fattest handle possible for $80 or less.

Is it a torx, slot, philps?

If you don't care what kind of screw driver it is other than it having a fat handle...you may not actually need a screw driver...you just need a fat handle on something that LOOKS like a screw driver.

:D

roadkill1109

Flashlight Enthusiast
try checking international outdoor's website, Hank may have the light you are looking for.

hansi22

Newly Enlightened
Stanley HID0109, $70 at Wal-Mart or Amazon, 3500 lumens.

Thanks for the pointer! Unfortunately Amazon charges 50$ for shipping to where I live... Any chance this or a similar light can be found on any of the China/HongKong based mail-order stores?

Are there other HID lights in the same category as the Stanley HID0109 that can be held more like a flashligt, with no extra handle/grip?

hansi22

Newly Enlightened
With no throw/flood preference, and just wanting a lot of lumens for the $...its not an edc...as an edc would need to be reliable, pocket sized, etc.
With no flood/throw preference, its like specifying that you want a screw driver with the fattest handle possible for $80 or less.

Is it a torx, slot, philps?

Maybe I will buy a torx and a philips screw driver for my projects if I like the handle :)

hansi22

Newly Enlightened
Any more sugestions? I would be particularly interested in HID suggestions. Thanks.