Most powerful commercially available portable HID spotlight?

idleprocess

Flashaholic
I should clarify and say performance advantages. Throw, runtime, lumens, and efficiency.

I'm kind of an LED guy, but the technology has its limits. In a reasonably compact battery-powered device, LED will struggle to match the throw and runtime of well-engineered HID, primarily for the reasons that XeRay has been mentioning: thermal management and the greater ease of collimating the pseudo-1D HID arc vs the larger 2D surface of LED.

Magio

Enlightened
I'm kind of an LED guy, but the technology has its limits. In a reasonably compact battery-powered device, LED will struggle to match the throw and runtime of well-engineered HID, primarily for the reasons that XeRay has been mentioning: thermal management and the greater ease of collimating the pseudo-1D HID arc vs the larger 2D surface of LED.

Here is a post from Patriot from a while back that stated his Polarion PH50 has between 500-525k lux. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ead-(Part-2)&p=4186762&viewfull=1#post4186762 There are number of LED flashlights today with 3x that lux.

Here is a test of the PH40 in an integrating sphere. http://gixer.mbnet.fi/HID/PH40_LabsphereFS2.png It's OTF lumens is only 2905. There are a number of LED lights today that can nearly maintain those lumens for double the runtime. The Acebeam K75 can maintain 2500lumens for 2.25hrs. The Polarion can only run 40mins.

Last edited:

idleprocess

Flashaholic
Here is a post from Patriot from a while back that stated his Polarion PH50 has between 500-525k lux. https://www.candlepowerforums.com/v...ead-(Part-2)&p=4186762&viewfull=1#post4186762 There are number of LED flashlights today with 3x that lux.

A quick search suggests that the PH50 has a 90mm head diameter so the reflector is apt to be in the vicinity of 75mm. I'm aware of some LED flashlights with similar claimed performance that generally have significantly larger reflectors.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened

Here is a test of the PH40 in an integrating sphere. http://gixer.mbnet.fi/HID/PH40_LabsphereFS2.png It's OTF lumens is only 2905. There are a number of LED lights today that can nearly maintain those lumens for double the runtime. The Acebeam K75 can maintain 2500lumens for 2.25hrs. The Polarion can only run 40mins.

Don't bother Magio, It's a complete waste of time, which is why I exited from the thread.

It's almost as if (a.) No one has read the thread and the proof presented (b.) hypotheticals and calculations should be believed over real hard data, AND ACTUAL PHYSICAL LIGHTS that show the total opposite is true. We are in an HID section after all. :sigh:

Last edited:

Polarion-Sparetech2

Newly Enlightened
For completeness: PH50 was replaced by PH50D several years ago. Polarion Li-Ion batteries have been upgraded from 4400 mAh to 5700 mAh and run time increased accordingly. 40-minute run time indicates a worn out battery.

HID and LED lights are different products intended for different applications. Polarion has released an LED searchlight (PL-E702) that is rated to 600 meters at 5700 K. This rating is based on the same standard used to qualify Polarion's own HID lights.

The ANSI/PLATO FL1 specification calculates the throw based on square root of ("peak beam intensity"/.25 LUX). A higher peak beam automatically gives a longer throw. https://www.streamlight.com/docs/default-source/ansi-documents/ansi-pres.pdf. See page 11.

Military and law enforcement organizations are more conservative. They require usable light at 1 mile or 1 km, not theoretical light. As a result, HID manufacturers tend to be more conservative in their ratings and talk about real life conditions (albeit at different price points).

Illumination distance, in the end, is the ability to send photons into a given solid angle. It has been our experience that HID lights outperform LED lights beyond 600 meters. This could change in the future, perhaps with solid state cooling though we remain skeptical about the lateral dispersion which is inherent in 2D emitters.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Perhaps there is an alternative reality here where the real performance numbers that exist that disprove the narrative being spun here are not visible to some. Maybe even a situation where the actual physical LED lights themselves, which defy all the conjecture and hypotheticals that are being flung around like poo here, are not actually visible to some :shakehead

Cognitive dissonance? Personal Financial interests in promoting a product from their company?

IDK, I digress, as I'm going against my own advice that I gave earlier indicating it's a complete waste of time here. :(

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's almost as if (a.) No one has read the thread and the proof presented (b.) hypotheticals and calculations should be believed over real hard data, AND ACTUAL PHYSICAL LIGHTS that show the total opposite is true. We are in an HID section after all. :sigh:

Almost as if, but not quite true... "proof presented" not proof as in objective testing and reliable sources.
This conversation didn't fare much better over in the LED section either. Also wasn't nearly as much debate there as well, look for yourself. The last comment was maybe 3 weeks ago and it's now on the 2nd page. The conversation there wasn't nearly as "exciting" there as here.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Almost as if, but not quite true... "proof presented" not proof as in objective testing and reliable sources.
This conversation didn't fare much better over in the LED section either. Also wasn't nearly as much debate there as well, look for yourself. The last comment was maybe 3 weeks ago and it's now on the 2nd page. The conversation there wasn't nearly as "exciting" there as here.

I'm afraid this is getting old and stale, and I'm certain others reading this thread can see that. For the 3rd time, Will you please provide the candela and lux numbers for your LV-LX50 and LV-LX70? This is the 3rd time I have requested them.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Perhaps there is an alternative reality here where the real performance numbers that exist that disprove the narrative being spun here are not visible to some. Maybe even a situation where the actual physical LED lights themselves, which defy all the conjecture and hypotheticals that are being flung around like poo here, are not actually visible to some :shakehead

Cognitive dissonance? Personal Financial interests in promoting a product from their company?

IDK, I digress, as I'm going against my own advice that I gave earlier indicating it's a complete waste of time here. :(

The way this is heading. Next you are going to promote the flat earth agenda.The Flat Earthers use the same sort of language as you in your last post.

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
I'm afraid this is getting old and stale, and I'm certain others reading this thread can see that. For the 3rd time, Will you please provide the candela and lux numbers for your LV-LX50 and LV-LX70? This is the 3rd time I have requested them.

No I won't because you will be comparing them to unreliable sources with unverified (not lab) data. Okay a fool would agree to such a back alley request, now becoming a demand.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Those candela and Lux numbers please.

Your demands will have to wait, for a day in the not so distant future, when a highly respected and neutral CPF member decides to take this on. There are a few of these people here, such as BVH and others.

Last edited:

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
cant we all just enjoy both technologies. Both are awesome. HID for its throw, superior single point source lumen output and the ability to run max output continuously, Bulbs are easily replaceable by the user

And LED for it instant on capabilities, superior versatility in flashlight size(led flashlights can be very small), cost, more user friendly for the average Joe. The ability to have a big range in output from moonlight to turbo and all points in between, and LED lifespan is longer then HID, but not replaceable by the average user.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
No I won't because you will be comparing them to unreliable sources with unverified (not lab) data. Okay a fool would agree to such a back alley request, now becoming a demand.

Case settled. I've positively proven my case here beyond a reasonable shadow of a doubt. The above response says it all. The results speak for themselves here. No further input is required.

The BLANKET STATEMENT and myth in Handheld searchlights that "LED's simply cannot match HID" has effectively been debunked here. The amount of confidence in some's performance metrics of their product is about as strong as the confidence one gets when seeing a 4 figure product coming with a 1 year warranty.

EDIT: Notice about how now he's going to rely on members to provide his numbers, but yet when I did the same thing it was unreliable? Wow.

BTW, the candela of the LV-LX50 is around the 600,000 to 750,000 mark, at best, give or take.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Here is a better photo hid 9 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

You may have to peek inside that cable braided mesh to see if 3 wires from the Ballast to the igniter, or only 2. Or perhaps open the ballast if you can't peek inside the mesh.
For a more detailed discussion call us at XeVision.com phone number on the web.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
You may have to peek inside that cable braided mesh to see if 3 wires from the Ballast to the igniter, or only 2. Or perhaps open the ballast if you can't peek inside the mesh.
For a more detailed discussion call us at XeVision.com phone number on the web.

Ok i need a torx bit which i dont have. hopefully i can see inside the mesh