Most powerful commercially available portable HID spotlight?

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
It would be cool if there was a short arc bulb that could be used in the FF5. The throw would be insane. I know its possible. I remember when Ra made the Maxablaster, i dont remember if it was him or someone else that also make a handheld shortarc flashlight in a similar size as the FF5.

The ballast would also have to be swapped, a short arc bulb (excited Xenon ONLY inside) and ballast are very much different "animals" than ballasts used for Metal Halide plasma HID. In MH, the Xenon is only used for the initial start up for some few seconds max. In MH HID, after that initial start sequence the excited plasma takes over, being much brighter than only Xenon.
Xenon short ARC in the Maxabeam size systems gets in the ballpark of 20 Lumens per watt, Well designed MH HID also at about 75 watts is about 115 lumens per input bulb watt. At 50 watts close to 110 lumens per watt.
At 35 watts HID, only about 92 lumens per watt.
You can get a much tighter beam with short arc (due to the much smaller arc size) but the Lumens per watt efficiency simply is not there. However, what Xenon Short Arc does well, it does very well.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
The Acebeam K75's reflector is flawless and excellent. It produces an incredibly intense beam that is significantly more intense than the LX50's, while still providing ample spill. The LX50 has a larger, more impressive spill area though, but the beam is much less intense, and throw is much less as well, even when the K75 is fully heat saturated. The K75's reflector is also significantly larger than the LX50's.

Overall output is close on the Acebeam K75 at turn on versus the Lemax at full brightness, and when K75 is fully saturated with heat, is slightly less than the Lemax

A couple of things you likely have not taken into account in your subjective analysis without using a Lux meter. Your LX50 is a very early generation, likely about 10 years old from seeing that metal handle. Your well used bulb likely needs changing and down to 60 or 70% of a new bulb output. Also this an older reflector not electroformed. To fairly make your inended comparisons, your would need a more recently made Lemax or XeVision unit, with a relatively new bulb.

Rasher

Enlightened
<Wall of text>
A used beetle turbo s has big performance/$. But it will never be a Ferrari.

The quality/durability of the serious HID lights is dramatically higher than mass-produced toys.

If one does not have the need, or just the want, and the willingness to throw the shekels at a top-flight product, nothing wrong with settling for the low-cost mass-produced substitutes.

Just my 2 cents, as an owner of most of the HID mentioned here, half-a-dozen or so LEP units, and all of the big-hitter LED throwers, stock and modded.

Rasher

Enlightened
...It's my understanding that LEP (Laser Excited Phosphor) doesn't currently provide a very wide light spectrum (color rendering).
No, they certainly don't. Frankly, even the "High CRI" LEP I own look like poop compared to even a mediocre LED. But then, CRI is not their raison d'etre...

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
A couple of things you likely have not taken into account in your subjective analysis without using a Lux meter. Your LX50 is a very early generation, likely about 10 years old from seeing that metal handle. Your well used bulb likely needs changing and down to 60 or 70% of a new bulb output. Also this an older reflector not electroformed. To fairly make your inended comparisons, your would need a more recently made Lemax or XeVision unit, with a relatively new bulb.

Some problems with your post.

(1.) The entire light and bulb has very little use, and the condition supports that. I have a detailed report from the previous owner who says "Only a few hours use". The glass envelope is crystal clear. It does not need a new lamp, and even if it was old and did, it wouldn't matter, which I will explain.

(2.) It's not subjective, and I don't need a lux meter. Why? Because the K75, which has had many, many different reliable independent sources, which I can all link right here, many right here in this forum, all with different samples, verify this light has a true candela of over 1.5 mil, with many samples capable of up to 1.8mil.

The LX50, and the XV-LX50 that you sell, cannot compete with it in throw. It can reach 2500meters. Your own XV-LX50 is listed as 1500m. I believe the specs are similar on this older model. Your reflector is good I'm sure, and probably does make a difference, but it wouldn't matter. That reflector will not be able to make up 1000m more the K75 has. Besides, when I compare the beams outside, a blind man could see the K75 easily wins.

They are dirt cheap. Don't believe me? Pick one up and see for yourself.

Like I said, it's not subjective. The K75 easily beats this older Lemax, and your XV-lx50.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
A used beetle turbo s has big performance/$. But it will never be a Ferrari.

The quality/durability of the serious HID lights is dramatically higher than mass-produced toys.

If one does not have the need, or just the want, and the willingness to throw the shekels at a top-flight product, nothing wrong with settling for the low-cost mass-produced substitutes.

Just my 2 cents, as an owner of most of the HID mentioned here, half-a-dozen or so LEP units, and all of the big-hitter LED throwers, stock and modded.

Not one single thing you have said has been disputed through out this entire thread. I agree with all above points.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
No, they certainly don't. Frankly, even the "High CRI" LEP I own look like poop compared to even a mediocre LED. But then, CRI is not their raison d'etre...

The lights are advertised as 90+CRI. Perhaps you have some light analysis showing these are falsely advertised as High CRI when they are not.

And I agree, the High CRI does look like the expletive you used. But your opinion as to how they look has no bearing on whether or not they are able to render colors at a higher level than cool white. If you show me the data saying they do not produce a CRI of over 80, I will stand corrected. If not, I'll include this in with some of the other stuff I've had to cleanup throught out this thread.

Rasher

Enlightened
The lights are advertised as 90+CRI. Perhaps you have some light analysis showing these are falsely advertised as High CRI when they are not.

And I agree, the High CRI does look like the expletive you used. But your opinion as to how they look has no bearing on whether or not they are able to render colors at a higher level than cool white. If you show me the data saying they do not produce a CRI of over 80, I will stand corrected. If not, I'll include this in with some of the other stuff I've had to cleanup throught out this thread.
I said nothing about the actual measurement, so take your high horse and ride on out of here.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Xe-Ray Quote "...It's my understanding that LEP (Laser Excited Phosphor) doesn't currently provide a very wide light spectrum (color rendering).

I said nothing about the actual measurement, so take your high horse and ride on out of here.

Perhaps you should take another look at your reply. Something that is advertised as 90+ CRI easily qualifies as High CRI under almost anyone's standards. Your post claims LEPs DO NOT produce a very wide light spectrum.

At this point, either (a.) the advertising is wrong, and your observation and expletive description should be taken at as fact (b.) LEP's do exist that have a wide light spectrum.

Last edited:

XeRay

Flashlight Enthusiast
Some problems with your post.

(1.) The entire light and bulb has very little use, and the condition supports that. I have a detailed report from the previous owner who says "Only a few hours use". The glass envelope is crystal clear. It does not need a new lamp, and even if it was old and did, it wouldn't matter, which I will explain.

(2.) It's not subjective, and I don't need a lux meter. Why? Because the K75, which has had many, many different reliable independent sources, which I can all link right here, many right here in this forum, all with different samples, verify this light has a true candela of over 1.5 mil, with many samples capable of up to 1.8mil.

The LX50, and the XV-LX50 that you sell, cannot compete with it in throw. It can reach 2500meters. Your own XV-LX50 is listed as 1500m. I believe the specs are similar on this older model. Your reflector is good I'm sure, and probably does make a difference, but it wouldn't matter. That reflector will not be able to make up 1000m more the K75 has. Besides, when I compare the beams outside, a blind man could see the K75 easily easily wins.

I tried out the Acebeam K75 and it's insufficient for just lighting to the end of a wash, about 0.6 mile.
I tested the Acebeam K75 again tonight. There is a halo around the defined hotspot. That halo is what causes the beam to not be able to hit the El Monte Airport hangar building located directly 0.6 or 0.7 mile or so "downstream" the Arcadia Wash. What I am saying is that the hotspot becomes like a flood beam at its tip. Yes it throws far but at its tip it is not tight enough of a defined hotspot to lay bright light on anything beyond 500 meters. The beam floods out before it reaches the end of the wash, 0.6 or 0.7 mile or so distant. lovecpf

From the LED thread not HID discussing this same subject.

Just because someone claims minimal use, that's hardly dependable. HID bulbs don't loose output by getting cloudy they do such purely from hours of use.
Our ratings are conservative, hardly what the Chinese are known for.
Lux meters are indisputable, subjective untrained eyes are not.

Last edited:

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
From the LED thread not HID discussing this same subject.

Just because someone claims minimal use, that's hardly dependable. HID bulbs don't loose output by getting cloudy they do such purely from hours of use.
Our ratings are conservative, hardly what the Chinese are known for.
Lux meters are indisputable, subjective untrained eyes are not.

Just came back inside from doing a quick comparison outside, I will get to in a moment. I understand your points, I do learn much from your knowledge and posts here.

Just a couple of things. If the light physically shows little signs of any real use, it's reasonable to assume it hasn't been used much. I do not want to argue about the lamp any further, simply because it's impossible for us to completely know for sure. I feel the bulb is fine and a non issue.

You are absolutely correct about the Chinese. They inflate the numbers badly. some very badly. Good thing is we have people here on CPF who are very knowledgeable. And across different samples, they can test these. I can post you all the hard data showing this light does indeed produce that candela. That's the only reason I use those figures, because they are correct.

I believe that the LX50 produces a very fine beam and is better in some ways to the K75. But purely throw, no it is not better. Did another test outside and at turn on the K75 very easily beats the LX50, and allowing the light to saturate with heat for 2 to 3 minutes, the K75 throws noticeably farther. The LX50 is still impressive because it's lighting up more spill in front of you, but the hotspot is much less intense. I will also note that the hotspot is also larger on the K75. The K75 has a much, much larger reflector, so keep in mind the LX50 does very well for having such a smaller reflector.

XeRay, can you tell us what your XV-LX50, with a fresh bulb, does on a lux meter? How much candela does it produce one the output settles?

These measurements are all taken at ANSI standard 30 seconds. Turn on CD is even higher.

https://zeroair.org/2019/12/04/acebeam-k75-flashlight-review/ 1540243cd
https://1lumen.com/18650-reviews/acebeam-k75/ 1565000cd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQAQigVoNSw 1562500cd
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ojVBqfMVQlc&t=126s 1697299cd

https://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?461340-Acebeam-K75vn-Ultimate-Budget-Thrower-RAnd if someone's willing to pay extra, up to 1750000cd

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Those anecdotal reports that you actually linked to previously, and went back and edited, are hardly proof of anything. It is quite interesting that you use strawman's and accuse my report of being subjective, yet provide someones else's subjective report as some type of validation. The only reason you link those reports is because they support go in your favour.

Lets move away from user reports and talk numbers.

Now, as you representing XeVison, can you please provide what type of candela numbers your XV LX50 produces?

ubangi

Newly Enlightened
Has anyone thought about the Maxabeam MBS-410 made by peakbeam systems? It seems like it might be one of the most powerful throwers.

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Has anyone thought about the Maxabeam MBS-410 made by peakbeam systems? It seems like it might be one of the most powerful throwers.

Yes, the Maxabeam is an incredible thrower, and the best money can buy in this regard. It has a true laser like beam. How useful this type of beam is for tasks is debatable, but when it comes to strictly throwing a beam as far as possible, The Maxabeam is the best choice.

Alex1234

Flashlight Enthusiast
I have this Amazon DC 55W 9 inch HID spotlight and here i compare it to my K75vn90 with Driver VNX2 that does 5,300 OTF lumens and 1.75 Million CD. I measured the HID at 1.3 Million CD.

It still amazes me that LED can compete and in this case beat a somewhat impressive HID spotlight. I wish i could upgrade the Bulb on the HID

55W 9 inch HID VS K75VN90 by Alex Littig, on Flickr
K75vn90 vs 55W HID 9 inch by Alex Littig, on Flickr

1111 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(K75vn90)
2222 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(Amazon 55W 9 inch HID)
3333 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(K75vn90)
4444 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(Amazon 55W 9 inch HID)
5555 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(K75vn90)
6666 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(Amazon 55W 9 inch HID)
7777 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(K75vn90)
8888 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

(Amazon 55W 9 inch HID)
9999 by Alex Littig, on Flickr

DayofReckoning

Enlightened
Amazing beamshots!

I'm so impressed the K75 is able to beat that huge reflectored HID, goes to show how well it is engineered, I think it took Acebeam a long time to design the K75, wasn't cooked up overnight.

Now just imagine if the SBT-90GEN LED was installed in a reflector that large. And imagine what the successor to the K75 will look like.

I think there can be cases in the HID side of the market where some just don't follow the manufacturers making these LED lights, and they don't realize how far LED, and more importantly, Chinese manufacturing, has really come. Many just assume that HID is superior because that is what has been the case for a long time. Things have changed. We've shown that in this thread.

Last edited:

Rasher

Enlightened
It is the farthest throwing generally available thrower. And based on the performance of my copy, I'd have to say PeakBeam underrates them. It can put a crazy intense spot on distant targets that makes my LEPs look completely impotent.

Unlike the LEPs though, or the conventional LED throwers in the collection, it's not a toy, not built like one, so you pay the shekels...

The variable beam size makes it actually useful for searching and verification - you can sweep with a wider beam then zoom in as needed. Really quite nice.

Rasher

Enlightened
I have this Amazon DC 55W 9 inch HID spotlight and here i compare it to my K75vn90 with Driver VNX2 that does 5,300 OTF lumens and 1.75 Million CD. ...
Not bad for an HID that was probably 1/4 to 1/3 the cost of the modded K75.

I'm just hoping the 50Mcd project by you-know-who gets done... I presume you''re on the list.