Movie Review - "Kick-***."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
It can be a bit tough to tell if the movie is supposed to exist in a comic book world that pretends to be reality, or if the world portrayed in it is supposed to be reality with costumed characters running around in it.

The film itself will often blur that line. It seems to tavel between both worlds, depending on the scene. The one scene involving the microwave is clearly an example of the former. The one in which Kick-*** has his first fight scene with the two car-jackers is clearly an example of the latter.

An enjoyable film. Just not something for the kiddies.

ANDREAS FERRARI

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hopefully new members to CPF won't confuse you for a little girl. :p

Maybe I'll bleach my hair white and change my user name to Jadeel!!! HaHaHa LOL(An inside joke-Monocrom will understand)

I don't know too many little girls that hunt bears with a bow/drink BlackBull beer(40oz bottles-9% alcohol)/and carry a M@g'633(7000Lm.) at all times?!?!?!?
rolleye11.gif

Monocrom

Flashaholic
Maybe I'll bleach my hair white and change my user name to Jadeel!!! HaHaHa LOL(An inside joke-Monocrom will understand)

I don't know too many little girls that hunt bears with a bow/drink BlackBull beer(40oz bottles-9% alcohol)/and carry a M@g'633(7000Lm.) at all times?!?!?!?
rolleye11.gif

And my little Jadeel is based on a real live young woman. :)

Someday, I might have a daughter. Other than the beer, she might find bears to be cute & cuddley, while politely thanking me for handing down such an outdated light as one only pumping out 7000Lm. ;)

Greta

Flashaholic
I enjoyed him in a recent film, "The men who stare at goats" which is also a bit off the beaten track. :D

LOVED that movie! ... especially because more than most know is based on truth... :eek:oo:

The weapon light appears to be a Streamlight TLR-3.

It is the FoxFury AWL-P Pistol Light.

BTW... agree "Kick-***" is not for kids. Otherwise, thought it was well done. Oddly, the first word that came to mind for me to describe it was... "cute"... :duh2: .. laughed my *** off over the first scene with Nick Cage and daughter... :crackup:... I'm wondering now what that says about me... :shakehead

cheapbastard

Newly Enlightened
Great movie, disturbingly enjoyable, not to be taken seriously and NOT FOR KIDS!. But the scene with the strobe weapon-light was awful. A real bad-guy would just squint and aim at the light source

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Nic Cage is always best as a character that's not 100% serious and quite a bit over the top (who doesn't love Raising Arizona or Face/Off?), as he is again in this movie..

bigdaddy.jpg

McGizmo

Flashaholic
+100. That movie was a let down.

I agree that Idiocracy could have been so much more but it follows a theme I have harped on when on my soapbox for so many years that I feel inclined to share it regardless of its obvious shortcomings. In a twisted way, it is in keeping with the level of quality and intelligence were it to be "told" by those of the future it portrays.

You guys have convinced me that I need to see Kick-*** for myself and I have added it to my Netflix queue. I doubt I have averaged going to the movies even once a year, in the last 30 years but now that I have a nice LCD TV and Netflix, I have a large volume of films to choose from and view. :eek:

Monocrom

Flashaholic

:bow: Greta

Thank you! I shall post that information on the "Lights in television & movies" thread. (With proper credit given.)

BTW... agree "Kick-***" is not for kids. Otherwise, thought it was well done. Oddly, the first word that came to mind for me to describe it was... "cute"... :duh2: .. laughed my *** off over the first scene with Nick Cage and daughter... :crackup:... I'm wondering now what that says about me... :shakehead

Not to worry. Some of us know and enjoy your off-beat sense of humor.

(I guess Mindy was really in the mood for ice-cream.) :grin2:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
LOVED that movie! ... especially because more than most know is based on truth... :eek:oo:....

One of the things I have really come to enjoy by watching these films on DVD is the "special features" with behind the scenes and additional background on them. Someone seeing "The men who stare at goats" in the movie theater would not be privy to some of the really facinating background and interviews provided on the DVD.

RAGE CAGE

Enlightened
One of the things I have really come to enjoy by watching these films on DVD is the "special features" with behind the scenes and additional background on them. Someone seeing "The men who stare at goats" in the movie theater would not be privy to some of the really facinating background and interviews provided on the DVD.

are you completely off the grid now with your solar panels- or is that still a work in progress? Just curious.

Monocrom

Flashaholic
are you completely off the grid now with your solar panels- or is that still a work in progress? Just curious.

Bit hard to be completely off the grid when one is posting on an internet forum. lovecpf

UpChUcK

Enlightened
I just saw it last night. I give it :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: (out of 5)

[SPOILER ALERT]

What I found disturbing in this masterpiece is the use of an 11 year old girl as Hitgirl. This was also a brilliant choice at the same time. What I found disturbing was how she swore like a street whore and got off on killing. In one scene she is dressed up like a little school girl in a plaid skirt, white shirt and tie pulling a pink rolling suitcase which, by the way, is stock full of all kinds of weaponry. She pretends to be lost to enter the badguy lair. The 'doorman' lets her in because she is crying. She then puts a silenced pistol in his mouth to where the muzzle is bulging through the man's cheek. As they slowly turn around, the other bad guys in the lobby start to draw their guns when they notice this and she shoots one of them through the 'doorman's' cheek. As the doorman falls to the ground in pan, Hitgirl systematically kills the other bad guys in the lobby. Then she calmly walks towards the elevator but as she does so, without looking, she lowers her pistol and shoots the doorman on the floor as she walks by, killing him.

Now if that were Milla Jovovich or Angelina Jolie, I would have been like "w00t, that was sooo cool!!!" But the fact that Hitgirl was 11, gave it another level of emotion. Was it because I have 2 daughters and one is 11? That definitely added to the discomfort. But the lover of action movies in me knew a well choreographed kill scene when I saw it and it delivered in spades.

This is the whole movie in a nutshell for me. It hit on all cylinders on so many levels. If you were to dissect Kick-*** into the many genres it encompasses - a comedy, an action movie, a revenge drama, a teen love story, a superhero movie, etc., there was plenty in each to have it stand on their own merits. But the brilliance is putting it all together and having it congeal into such a wonderful multilevel experience. This all added to the connected feeling I had with the characters. I felt for them, with them.

This is true for the actual production itself. It was well written, photographed, choreographed, edited and the acting was great too. Character development was spot on for me. And it managed to steer away from being too Matrix-y. And I loved the Matrix series and the like. It just held my suspension of disbelief in a reality-based world which helped me relate to the characters much better. Was it over the top in the action scenes? Sure, but not to the level of so many other movies trying to emulate the Matrix feel. The use of the strobe feature in the weapon light was exactly they way I'd envisioned it being used. OK, there was one clip where Hitgirl threw some magazines up and reloaded her pistols mid-air, but everything else felt spot-on to me. And although there was plenty of aerobatics/acrobatics, it felt grounded more than the typical Chinese wire-work pieces which I adore so much in such movies a Crouching Tiger and many of my Jet Li favs.

I loved Kick-***. Period. It will go down as one of my all-time favorites. Alongside of The Matrix, The Last of the Mohicans, Seven Samurai, Shawshank Redemption, Kung-fu Hustle, Apocalypse Now, Hero and The Good, The Bad, The Ugly. And I will see it again in the theaters (I know I missed some things on the first go) as well as buy the Blu-Ray when it is released. It is not for everyone, but it struck a chord with me. It is dark and disturbing and fun at the same time. There is action with a solid story behind it.

Last edited:

McGizmo

Flashaholic
Nice review UpChUck and it's nice to know the basis and reasoning behind your opinions.

[off topic] I am still on the grid but my PV system now about 16 months in operation has yielded me about a two months of usage surplus of which only the latest 12 months are retained as a credit on my utility bill. The sun drives my household electric devices and hopefully one of these days it will power a vehicle for me as well. [/off topic]

blasterman

Flashlight Enthusiast
Then she calmly walks towards the elevator but as she does so, without looking, she lowers her pistol and shoots the doorman on the floor as she walks by, killing him.

Can I honestly ask why you people get off on this stuff? It sounds suspiciously like Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold at Columbine in some sequences. Was that "cool" as well?

Most of my nieces and nephews under the age of 15 have seen this film already. They either go to a matinee with their 9th grade friends (few theaters enforce age limits) or just download boot legs off Bittorrent. They think it's 'kewl'

Status
Not open for further replies.