Status
Not open for further replies.

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Posters posters posters

ibagpBO2EWBnR7.jpg

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hey guys, forget about Jim Carrey for now and check out the new international Kick-*** 2 Trailer!
(It's even CPF compatible!)

Freax

Banned
While I do follow a motto of live and let live, ie, anyone can love whatever movie they like, I won't critisize because there are rediculously bad movies that I love to death too, anyway this is my personal take on it.

I thought the movie was terrible, I saw it with a friend in his home and afterwoods I had said it was "pretty good", but that was being modest.

The costumes are rediculously and laughably bad, except for the girls costume, that is the only redeeming feature.
The nose of the main character's costume really pisses me off actually, its like a yellow rectangle on his noze, combined with a green suit!? wtf?

It reminds me of a line of sports underwear.

The acting was sloppy to say the least and didn't convey any sort of "Kick assingness" at all, its about the same quality as I would expect from a well done Youtube clip.

To me the epitome of great superhero films though is Batman (1989), and before anyone compares that movie with Kick-*** based upon the same techniques of kicking-***, the main character did use a taser and the girl used a sword, Batman uses considerable amounts of technology inorder to get what he wants.

But the whole point of a costume is to convey fear and respect, a man's clothes reflect who he is, in Kick-*** the clothes do not reflect this, infact all they do is tell me that this movie has had very little preperation and forethought on the matter, it for me made the movie feel like a knock-together Youtube video done by amateurs, not a proper movie, that right there instantly ticked me off, if I'm going to PAY money for a movie I want quality, I don't want cheap costumes and a cheap experience., the actors costumes cheapen the experience considerably.

To top it off, the main big dad character (that looks like Batman) is a BLATANT ripoff of Batman, whats going through my mind at this time is "why the hell am I watching this when I could be watching a REAL Batman movie?", in return for watching this festivity of terribleness I am exposed to shitty acting that reminds me of some geek walking around doing fake wrestling and doing some spring cleaning in his office or home, not "kicking-***" and doing superhero type things, it barely has any sort of originality and the originality that it DOES have is something that doesn't interest me at all.

So I got bored with it, really really bored. Then annoyed. Then angry that such a movie with such potential was given such crappy acting and B movie costumes.

Ontop of that again, the guy in the black cape with red striping is SO FRIGGEN ANNOYING! and WHINEY!

And yes I agree with the OP, its got too much violence to be a kids movie, but its got such terrible acting that it is on the same level as a kids movie, its a failure in both markets. The only market where its a good fit is the ghetto 12-16 year old crowd and thats what makes it so popular, you wouldn't see this playing in some rich guy's apartment amongst his family and friends, or on Grandma's television set.

It doesn't teach your kids how to be a better person, it doesn't teach them anything aside from how to be angry and voilent and it also lets them vent their frustrations inside of their mind instead of in public, kind of like Doom + Metallica marathons for me back in the 1990s. Which is a good thing depending upon how you take it.

It is a diffuser for violence and frustration among teens, so instead of combatting and tackling society's issues and putting that anger and violence where its better suited, its diffused into this movie.

And people think this isn't just another Hollywood movie? its doing the exact same thing as every other hollywood movie does, cheap thrills, cheap violence, terrible acting, terrible costumes, and going only after one thing, your money.

The only thing that it does DIFFERENTLY to /ANY OTHER MOVIE/ is its using pre-teen and under legal age sex appeal to rake them in instead of the usual tricks.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
- Kick-***' costume is subpar by design; recall that he simply mail-ordered it and was happy that it fit. It reinforces how much of an amateur Kick-*** is at the whole superhero thing, whereas Hit Girl is a seasoned pro and is dressed for the part.

- The movie isn't comparable with the original Batman in any way, they're two entirely different concepts which are polar opposites in many ways; Batman is meant to be timeless, Kick-*** is meant to be very specific in age and era. Batman achieves his goals without firearms, Kick-*** is basically a video game weapon orgy of violence. Speaking of Batman:

- The movie version of the Big Daddy character features a lot of interpretation by Nic Cage, he added in the Adam West affectation which wasn't really in the comic or script. The original comic book Big Daddy is the size of an NFL linebacker, which helps illustrate the contrast of ex-cop and violent thug. But the character has an entire house full of guns and brazenly raids a warehouse where he proceeds to execute everyone in the building - definitely not a Batman parallel.

- Red Mist is supposed to be annoying, he's a trust fund baby who never gets what he wants. And in the sequel, he takes it up more than a notch. "What an a**hole," as Kick-*** notes, indeed.

- There isn't any sex in the movie, unless you're counting Dave's singular encounters, or the slutty chick in the loft who is affixed to the door moments later..

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Obviously, not everyone "gets" Kick-*** and that's OK; Kick-*** is certainly not everyone's cup of tea. Nevertheless, it is important to understand what it is and what it is not and it is certainly not a standard superhero movie, "a BLATANT ripoff of Batman" (although the visual references are intentional) or some cheap facsimile of a "real" superhero film. Anyone going into this film anticipating another cookie cutter movie in the Marvel mold would surely be disappointed. Kick-*** is a comedic spoof (but definitely not a "kids" movie) based on the comic book by Mark Miller & John Romita, Jr. about an angst ridden teenager in his bedroom who mail-orders a cheap body suit and embarks on a campaign to become a "superhero", thus launching himself into the trajectory of this amusing and entertaining satire via a rather well written and uniquely creative script by Matthew Vaughn and Jane Goldman (whom also happen to have penned the screenplays for X-Men: First Class, Stardust and Snatch, among others). So, let us trust that the writers and producers behind the likes of X-Men: FC didn't go about creating a low rent "bad" movie (produced by Brad Pitt, BTW) full of cheaply costumed actors with cheesy names, spouting clever dialogue and a female child co-star spewing foul-mouthed epithets with gusto for lack of any script writing chops, movie making skills or budgetary constraints. As StarHalo has already pointed out, the "cheap" costumes are funky looking by design, as is much of the entire look and feel of this film.

One of the most fascinating things about the Kick-*** movies that many people seem completely unaware of (as evidenced for example, in post #129) is that the inspiration for Kick-*** was the world wide phenomenon of real life superheros; a sub culture of people actually donning costumes, assuming the identities of "caped crusaders" and going out into the streets to fight crime, administer to the homeless, render first aid or otherwise perform some form of public service; hence the "cheap" homemade costumes and amateur look of these homegrown "superheros" as well as the characters in the movie.

HBO produced a wonderful documentary by Michael Barnett about this phenomenon entitled, not surprisingly, "Superheroes".
There have also been a couple of other documentary films about the superhero subculture, an article in Rolling Stone, a number of newspaper accounts, a book by author and journalist Ron Johnson, and several websites. In fact, one of the more interesting aspects of the Kick *** movies is that some of the scenes were staged as almost exact reenactments of panels from the original comic books, scenes from documentary film and from photojournalist's press coverage.

K1378RB.jpg

H68cwJl.png

ETfaWiR.jpg

UVM2559.png

PkOyZJS.jpg

oT6dk4D.jpg

Roger - aka Knight Warrior (and Mom) - England
KNcqMh6.jpg

Phoenix Jones (center) and a couple of other superhero dudes - Seattle, Washington
0EK7fAr.jpg

MrXtreme - San Diego, CA

Z1oN4FX.jpg

Chinese Red Bud Woman administering to the homeless in Beijing (Also active in Hong Kong)
wYO3574.jpg

Red Bud Woman
p6AsS4W.jpg

Thanatos - Vancouver, Canada
R7QXOLd.jpg

Captain Australia, Brisbane
Et2ZBFK.jpg

Dark Guardian - Manhattan, NYC
ZNImTSA.jpg

Master Legend - Winter Park, Florida
0eLNFiI.jpg

Citizen Prime - Salt Lake City, Utah USA

mRmzjII.jpg

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Kick-*** 2 is scheduled for theatrical release in the US on August 16th, 2013 but start getting ready for Kick-*** 3! (The Grand Finale)

Kick-*** 3 - the comic book series from Marvel will be hitting the newsstands on June 5, 2013. I imagine it will depend on Kiss-*** 2's box office numbers but anyone want to take bets on when Kick-*** 3 - the movie will be announced?

plot synopsis: Hit-Girl's in jail, leaving Kick-*** to lead the superhero team of Justice Forever. Their first mission: Bust Hit-Girl out of the clink. But superheroes have now been outlawed, leaving Kick-*** to dodge both cops AND criminals. For the first time since donning the costume, Kick-*** is beginning to have his doubts. Is he now in too deep to get out?

Here are some cover preview variants.

nUa6A3Z.gif

JIdz37N.jpg

moyccq4.jpg

LcZ3xLF.jpg

ixqUAc8.jpg

BzZKvlV.jpg

Last edited:

EZO

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in time for the kick-off to the summer movie season Jim Carrey has announced that he "cannot support" Kick-*** 2 due to the level of violence in the film. It is not the first time an actor has come out against a movie they are starring in, but it is unusual to do it not long before it opens and it seems he may be in violation of his contract as a result. This whole kerfuffle will probably just prove to be great publicity for the film and improve its box office numbers on opening day.

Last edited:

StarHalo

Flashaholic
Kinda strange since his character is said to have not fired a shot for the entirety of the movie. And then there's that dichotomy versus Big Daddy, how the Colonel is also a father figure, yet he's the polar opposite of the well-armed, kill-everybody pater familias..

Monocrom

Flashaholic
"Kick-*** 2" Movie Review:
--- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- --- ---

:caution: Yup, once again. Not family friendly. Ironically even more so than the Original. :caution:

Let's just get this out of the way. Does Kick-*** 2 retain the same charm of the Original? ... No!

The jokes are funny. But are far more crass than what was in the Original. Plus, there's a new element of blatantly sexual jokes. (Though thankfully you're not going to have to sit through one lame sex joke after another regarding 15 year-old Hit-Girl.) This sequel is also far darker than the Original. There are plenty of moments though where everything comes together and is just as fun and funny as the Original. Those are the parts that save the film from drowning in the dreaded sequel issue of trying too hard and falling flat. Still, the Original was better as the sequel does go over-the-top numerous times.

To begin, the sequel starts off where the Original left off. Kick-*** himself has given up trying to be a Superhero. Mindy, hasn't. Dave (Kick-*** without his costume on) gets bored being a normal teenager again. He asks Mindy to train him, and she does. Meanwhile, "Red Mist" is bored and angry. He soon inherits the greatest Superpower of all ... Money! And he uses it to get revenge against Kick-***. Meanwhile, Kick-*** joins a crew of masked Superheros who spend most of their time volunteering in soup-kitchens and helping little old ladies cross the street. But one night, lead by Colonel Stars & Stripes (Jim Carrey) the new team does some real ***-kicking.

Meanwhile, "Red Mist" who now goes by "The Mother F _____" realizes he needs a group of Super-Villains if he's going to take down Kick-*** and the rest of the Superheros.

Unfortunately, this is going to be a short review since I honestly can't go on without revealing a couple of huge spoilers.

I will say that as a side plot, it does turn into a coming-of-age film for Hit-Girl as she begins to question whether she should even put on her costume. And, becomes confused if her costume is her Hit-Girl outfit ... Or, the normal everyday clothes she wears to school as mild-mannered Mindy. Dealing with school, friends, her legal guardian, boys, and an evil click in school, along with some feelings she is confused by; Hit-Girl starts to break down, as Kick-*** confronts her regarding the fact that her father was insane. And, as her legal guardian confronts her about the fact that her dad cheated her out of her childhood.

As a side note, there was one moment in the film where it became kinda obvious to me what was going to happen. This has only happened in one other film that I've seen.

Overall: Definitely worth seeing. Just be prepared for a few major twists along the way.

P.S. ~ Do NOT leave the theater until after all the credits are done rolling.

LEDninja

Flashlight Enthusiast
One of the late night talk shows have a really pathetic Top 10 (Bottom 10?) list on the movie.
Don't worry. No spoilers here.

Movie goers complaints about Kick *** 2:
10 Too much kicking, not enough ***.
9 Glorifies foot on *** violence.
8 Some of the kicks were really more like nudges.
7 Got up to refil my soda, and missed the *** being kicked.
6 Theatre employee made me switch seats with guy in the audience.
5 Movie was preachy about dangers of *** fracking.
4 Hard to tell which character's *** was which.
3 I prefer the classic *** films of the 1940s.
2 Should have seen Lee Daniels' Kick *** 2.
1 Where was Meryl Streep?

Status
Not open for further replies.