Multiple P60 Host?

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thats the one.

Just find the ideal space on the body to fit the switches and on we go.

Even if the head needs to a bit longer to make room, thats ok, because there's more space for heatsinking :)

Sent from my Galaxy Tab II. Please excuse typos because the kaybkard on this thing is terrible!

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Ok after more brainstorming I think I may have found the ideal switch/UI setup that should satisfy most people. In the 3 clicky switch diagram back on post #61 the DPST switch needs to be removed. Other than that the circuit design is sound from a electrical standpoint. It allows for each individual dropin to be controlled like a regular P60 light. You can have one, two, or all three dropins on at once and have the ability to change modes independently while others are still on.

I assume most people would like a dedicated "Turbo" button (separate switch) to light all three dropins at once. For the dedicated Turbo mode as far as I can tell there is absolutely no way to be able to mix different mode configurations. They all have to be of the same type in order for the modes to be in sync, there is no getting out of it. Also it would be a major pain to activate all three dropins at once by trying to use three fingers at the same time to turn them all on:crackup:, not very practical either... So how do we activate all three clicky switches at once? Link them together physically. My art work absolutely sucks but it should be pretty clear from the drawing below how the three clicky switches are linked together for Turbo mode. FYI the dark shaded portions of the drawing indicate the apparatus for the Turbo mode.

Each clicky switch will have half of the contact point with the silicone boot, and the other half with the apparatus for the Turbo switch.

What do you guys think? If it sounds like a good design would someone be willing to render a better drawing? Mine sucks lol.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
Personally a "turbo" button isn't a priority for me. It only takes an extra second to flick on three switches if they're side by side - unless you're showing off to friends, I can't see the need.

Truth be told I'm not sure I even understand how your design works!

LilKevin715

Enlightened
Picture a knife switch but without the electrical aspect of it, but rather the mechanical movement of the switch.
knife-switch_003.png

Underneath each arm/lever would be a clicky switch, which would be activated by the mechanical swinging action. Obviously the lever in the above picture wouldn't be there. Suppose for a hypothetical example a clicky switch has a contact area of 1 x 2 cm (rectangle). Half of the contact area (1 x 1 cm square) would be with the arm/lever of the knife switch, while the other half would be in contact with a silicone boot switch cover switch (center of silicone boot pictured below).
th_659315177_sku_29486_2_small_122_247lo.jpg

Does that make it a little bit more clear?

Last edited:

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
I think it would be better if you have one main switch at the tail to power it on or off. With 3 witches at the head (each drop-in his own switch) you can turn it on and off and you can change modes for each drop-in separately.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
At first glance the switch at the tail seems kind of redundant except if you are trying to acomplish the following:
1) Safety switch
2) When one (or two or all three) clicky switches are activated separately and left in the on position the tail switch acts to control power to the dropin(s) simultaneously.

I guess the biggest question as far as the switch/UI design is if people want the ability to light all three dropins simultaneously. Your design does have the ability, but all three clicky switches need to be activated separately. My revised design with the knife switch mechanics allows all three to be activated simultaneously with a single action. I wish the forums had the ability to insert a poll into a existing thread so we could vote on what we like and dont like.

Oh by the way I think there is something missing from your design;). You must have some future tech or something because I didn't know LED's could be self powered:nana::crackup:.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
I must admit - I like the simplicity (from an engineering perspective) of 4 switches. It might not give you the "instant" access you may or may not want, but it
s certainly going to be easier to build.

If the 3 dropin switches were rocker switches so that you could see which was off or on before hitting the "master" clicky switch, then that'd make things nice when turning it on or off. I have no problem with switching modes with a quick rock back and forth.

LilKevin715

Enlightened
One important aspect about a master clicky switch would be the switch itself. It would need to handle at least 10-15 amps. I know regular solarforce clicky switches are rated up to 3A. A higher amp clicky switch would most likely raise the cost of the host.

mvyrmnd

Flashlight Enthusiast
One important aspect about a master clicky switch would be the switch itself. It would need to handle at least 10-15 amps. I know regular solarforce clicky switches are rated up to 3A. A higher amp clicky switch would most likely raise the cost of the host.

Given what we're playing with here, the cost of a high amp clicky won't be a deal-breaker.

thijsco19

Newly Enlightened
At first glance the switch at the tail seems kind of redundant except if you are trying to acomplish the following:
1) Safety switch
2) When one (or two or all three) clicky switches are activated separately and left in the on position the tail switch acts to control power to the dropin(s) simultaneously.
And that is precisely why a tail switch would be handy. But it depends on the type of switch that you use for the drop-ins, if these are regular style clicky's the tail switch wont be necessary.

I guess the biggest question as far as the switch/UI design is if people want the ability to light all three dropins simultaneously. Your design does have the ability, but all three clicky switches need to be activated separately. My revised design with the knife switch mechanics allows all three to be activated simultaneously with a single action. I wish the forums had the ability to insert a poll into a existing thread so we could vote on what we like and dont like.
True, true. But for me I dont see the need to have instant "turbo", but it depends on the type of drop-ins you use. If you use drop-ins with different mode's it would be annoying if you switch all of them at the same time while one has strobe and the other high and the last one SOS or something.

I must admit - I like the simplicity (from an engineering perspective) of 4 switches. It might not give you the "instant" access you may or may not want, but it
s certainly going to be easier to build.

If the 3 dropin switches were rocker switches so that you could see which was off or on before hitting the "master" clicky switch, then that'd make things nice when turning it on or off. I have no problem with switching modes with a quick rock back and forth.
Yes that's the point, and like I said above it really depends on the type of switches and drop-ins.