Muyshondt Nautilus

tnuckels

Enlightened
I received my Nautilus yesterday evening and all I can say is WOW. What a superb piece of craftsmanship and engineering this is. And what a replace-ten-other-acceptable-lights EDC this is going to be. I can see where a mid-power mode might be nice, but certainly not necessary. Low is plenty illuminating for getting around and up close work, and high is simply stunning, matching or beating my previous strongest light, my P4 moded Pelican 2390. All my other lights can just line up and crawl back into the desk drawer, as they have now been rendered superfluous by the Nautilus.

Here's a thought: How many lesser lights does it take to equal one Nautilus? I don't know, but the money I've squandered on inferior designs would have been much more satisfyingly spent on fewer lights of this caliber.

I'm still looking for an option to add a clip as I find this exceptionally useful. After getting measurements on Don's screw mounted pocket clip for sale at the Shoppe, it looks like it's gonna' be too big, even after cutting it down on both ends to make it fit lengthwise, I still think it'll be too bulky for the Nautilus. I found another nice clip over at LightHound, but it's too customized for the ARC/HDS configuration to be modifiable for the size of the Nautilus. Still, both offer interesting ideas for my original thought of rolling my own.

Off to the market to find some nice stainless steel …

P.S. Reckon there's any chance Enrique can ever be convinced to build comparable common cell (AA & AAA) lights like this?

Last edited:

mspeterson

Enlightened
I received my Nautilus yesterday evening and all I can say is WOW. What a superb piece of craftsmanship and engineering this is. And what a replace-ten-other-acceptable-lights EDC this is going to be. I can see where a mid-power mode might be nice, but certainly not necessary. Low is plenty illuminating for getting around and up close work, and high is simply stunning, matching or beating my previous strongest light, my P4 moded Pelican 2390. All my other lights can just line up and crawl back into the desk drawer, as they have now been rendered superfluous by the Nautilus.

Here's a thought: How many lesser lights does it take to equal one Nautilus? I don't know, but the money I've squandered on inferior designs would have been much more satisfyingly spent on fewer lights of this caliber.

I'm still looking for an option to add a clip as I find this exceptionally useful. After getting measurements on Don's clip for sale at the Shoppe, it looks like it's gonna' be too big, even after cutting it down on both ends to make it fit lengthwise, I still think it'll be too bulky for the Nautilus. I found another nice clip over at LightHound, but it's too customized for the ARC/HDS configuration to be modifiable for the size of the Nautilus. Still, both offer interesting ideas for my original thought of rolling my own.

Off to the market to find some nice stainless steel …

P.S. Reckon there's any chance Enrique can be convinced to build comparable common cell (AA & AAA) lights like this?

Here is what I came up with for a clip, a McGizmo mini clip on a split ring. It attaches to the corner of a pocket well and keeps the light away from coins and keys. There is also a larger Titanium clip in the same style that would work as well. The clips can be found here:
http://www.berkeleypoint.com/products/hardware/stainless_clips.html

DoglegNautilus.jpg

tnuckels

Enlightened
Thanks for the tip and the link MSPETERSON. I'd seen these before and thought they looked quite useful, enough so that I've strongly consider trying one.

I do still like having an adjustable wrist lanyard with which I can hang my lights various places, including off a belt or belt loop into a pocket, and this setup has been invaluable in insuring my knives and lights stay safely with me instead of silently slipping away into the night. Additionally, this type lanyard allows me to tighten the tool to my wrist when I'm somewhere that a drop would mean disaster, like up a mountain or around irretrievably deep water. Used as I am to this, I don't know that I'm willing to change.

Adding a clip like you're using might work well, but it might also prove too be a bit cluttered if used in combination with the wrist lanyard. I've been used to a fixed clip like this one on my LongBow: https://www.candlepowerforums.com/posts/2151463&postcount=57 (scroll to the bottom) that I made from an old pocket knife clip that I found squashed on the road, and find it exceedingly useful when I'm actively using my light, need to momentarily put it aside, but don't want to completely put it away, and so think I'll try making another one to fit the Nautilus.

Finding suitable metal at Lowes or Home Depot proved fruitless, but strolling through Target I stumbled upon a suitable inexpensive donor item that I can cannibalize for the material I need, a small hand Stanley hand saw. Tempered, springy, rust resistant … I think it should work nicely.

I'll post back here if I manage to bring this thought to acceptable fruition.

tnuckels

Enlightened
First stab at designing a clip for the Nautilus, so be kind ...

2296122NautilusClipDesignNo1.jpg

I disassembled (read: ripped apart) the handsaw for its blade. Man, this is tough material. Scoring it with the diamond wheel blade in the Dremel the metal snaps off easily. Trouble is, it is brittle and also breaks without scoring it well before reaching a 90° bend. Heating it allows me to bend a right angle, but I don't know how this will change the metal's attributes.

Off to the Materials forum to pick some more studied brains.

P.S. Should I continue this elsewhere, not in the reviews forum, and if so, where?

Last edited:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast

P.S. Should I continue this elsewhere, not in the reviews forum, and if so, where?

It is a review about the Nautilus. Posting about a modification seems normal to me but sometimes I miss the obvious. If this thread takes a direction that is out of protocol I'm sure we'll get a friendly note about it. The staff has always been helpful to me and my sometimes half asleep thinking.

I am very interested in your mod. I always carry mine in my pocket, but if I was in a situation where I was using it off and on a lot the belt clip would be very handy and make sense. Looks great. If you actually finish it please post a picture of your light.

Bill

Mark A.

Newly Enlightened
Perhaps a clip from one of these would work out, if they are comparable in diameters: http://www.cpfreviews.com/Dereelight-CL1H.php

I own a couple of Nautilus lights, not a Dereelight, so I cannot help with the measurements.

The collar aspect of this may be a boon to withdraw a so-equipped light from a pocket as well.

I would think that such a clip could be easily made as well.

Mark A.

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this little light more and more. I am using batteries that won't fire up the low on my Luna Sol and other lights in my Nautilus and the low is rock solid. The battery is too weak to fire it up on high, but it works on low.

Now to find out just how long the depleted battery will run on low.

In case I haven't mentioned this before... the low beam on this light is super duper useful and perfect form most of my lighting needs.

da.gee

Enlightened
I finally depleted my first battery on the Nautilus after four months. That is some good stuff.

Eric242

Flashlight Enthusiast
Just in case you didn´t notice yet: dcjs has one of the first run Nautilus Ti (Q5) for sale at messerforum. He´s asking 200.- € plus shipping.

Eric

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Hello Erick!

I know of that offer, but i would not need it in Ti...:grin2:

And in fact i could get it much cheaper.:D

:)>

Flashlight Enthusiast
I like this little light more and more. I am using batteries that won't fire up the low on my Luna Sol and other lights in my Nautilus and the low is rock solid. The battery is too weak to fire it up on high, but it works on low.

Now to find out just how long the depleted battery will run on low.

In case I haven't mentioned this before... the low beam on this light is super duper useful and perfect form most of my lighting needs.

2 hours off of the battery and it went dim. Pretty good for a battery that wouldn't light up my Luna Sol on low:thumbsup:

Endeavour

Flashlight Enthusiast
toby_pra: flashlightshop.de is the only place selling Nautilus lights at this point - I'm out of stock, as is BrightGuy. Bernd Auler can be reached at [email protected] and speaks both German and English; in your case it's quite convenient since you'll receive the light very quickly from him.

Best regards,

Enrique

toby_pra

Flashaholic
Hello Enrique!

Thanks for the informations. But in Germany the Nautilus costs about
300$...:huh: thats to expensive, so i'd like to buy it in the usa...:ironic:

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
Hello Enrique!

Thanks for the informations. But in Germany the Nautilus costs about
300$...:huh: thats to expensive, so i'd like to buy it in the usa...:ironic:

It is possible that Greg at Brightguy may have an open unit he will sell you even if his regular stock is gone. It wouldn't hurt to call him.

Bill

Hitthespot

Flashlight Enthusiast
toby_pra: flashlightshop.de is the only place selling Nautilus lights at this point - I'm out of stock, as is BrightGuy. Bernd Auler can be reached at [email protected] and speaks both German and English; in your case it's quite convenient since you'll receive the light very quickly from him.

Best regards,

Enrique

Hello Enrique,

Thank you for a very nice light. Do you plan on running any more of these in the future, maybe with a updated led.

Bill