MX25L3 (MT-G2) De-dome by Vinh

holygeez03

Enlightened
I just received my de-domed MX25L3 (MT-G2) from Vinh... I had it sent to him directly from the vendor, so I had never even held the light before...

WOW, it is exactly what I was looking for... tons of throwy lumens, compact form, and I can instantly switch back and forth between max and medium with one hand (which I require for this light's purpose). The tint is also very nice due to the de-dome... it is warmer than my SC62w (which I prefer), but it is a little greener (mostly noticeable on lower levels). In the end, the tint is still wonderful when using it outdoors and the beam is great. It is the perfect big brother to my EA4w, although much warmer and no hole in the beam. :twothumbs

If you are looking for a compact thrower with a rather warm tint, and the UI works for you... this is a great option...

THANKS VINH!!!

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
Id hardly call the MX25L3 "compact" but it is a nice light. Ive never seen beamshots of a dedomed MTG2 before must be interesting and after Vinhs treatment it must also be utterly blinding! Ive got 6 Eagletacs the most powerful of which is my MX25L2 with the SST-90 emitter which throws 2000 plus lumens pretty far. It puts out the biggest beam Ive ever seen...wonder what Vinh could do with it hmm

holygeez03

Enlightened
I guess I meant "compact for its output level"... It was alot smaller than I expected.

I'm not sure if the SST-90 can be de-domed easily... or what the results are... but Vinh can probably let you know.

The MT-G2 de-domed in the MX25L3 reflector is a great beam profile for my intentions with this light, which will be used at ~50 - 400 feet. It also creates a warmer tint, which is desirable to me. The CRI doesn't seem to be great, but you can't have everything.

Last edited:

The_Driver

Flashlight Enthusiast
The SST-90 can be easily de-domed with a knife. Just pull off the dome at the side. It is only glued on the sides and not stuck to the DIE of the LED. You will get around 90-100% more Lux (=throw) and maybe 10-25% less Lumens. Depending on your luck the tint might become a bit greenish. It will definitely become warmer.

CelticCross74

Flashlight Enthusiast
the beam out of a Vinh modified de-domed MT-G2 light must be like getting hit over the head with a brick! I cant even imagine what the beam out of a de-domed SST-90 must be like!

birderbill

Newly Enlightened
I just got my dedomed MX25L3vn and totally agree with the OP. Now I have domed and dedomed versions of it and the K40Mvn. I really should pare these 4 lights down to just one, but I can't bring myself to get rid of any of them. They all have a nice mix of flood and throw. The K40Mvn versions have more lumens and throw, but the MX25L3s are not far behind and are significantly smaller.

Flood and throw comparisons among the four are pretty much as expected. Dedomed lights have more throw and slightly less output than their domed counterparts. For throw, the dedomed K40Mvn wins. The dedomed MX25L3vn is second, out throwing the domed K40M a bit. It appears to be about equal to level 5 (or 5.5) of the dedomed K40Mvn. Regarding output the domed K40Mvn is tops.

The MX25L3vns seem to warm up faster and stay hot longer after shutdown.

I like the color of all of them even though there is a significant difference between domed (5000K) and dedomed (3000k?) MT-G2s. I first thought the dedomed K40Mvn was horrid when I fired it up indoors, but outside it is much more agreeable. The dedomed MX25L3 doesn't not have as significant a color shift, although it is still quite yellow.

Vinh's dedomed multi XML2s (orig. 6500K) may have more throw, but they look washed out and sickly in most outdoor scenarios. I wish there was a way to get a reasonably sized double MT-G2 light with the same mix of flood and throw as the K40M and MX25L3.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
The light is amazingly, well light and compact and high quality. I have the stock one but love it. Gets used heaps.

holygeez03

Enlightened
The light is amazingly, well light and compact and high quality. I have the stock one but love it. Gets used heaps.

If you use it for throw and like warmer tints, you might at least consider having it de-domed for a very reasonable charge. Of course, if it works perfectly for your usage and you don't need the extra throw and/or don't like warmer tints, leave it alone.

InspectHerGadget

Enlightened
If you use it for throw and like warmer tints, you might at least consider having it de-domed for a very reasonable charge. Of course, if it works perfectly for your usage and you don't need the extra throw and/or don't like warmer tints, leave it alone.

I would prefer reliability and longevity as it gets used for hours every week. it is also bright enough really although I guess extra power is always good.

holygeez03

Enlightened
I would prefer reliability and longevity as it gets used for hours every week. it is also bright enough really although I guess extra power is always good.

For the same reasons as you, I opted not to have the current draw increased by Vinh, although I was curious... I didn't think the marginal output gained would be noticeable enough to increase the heat generated. But getting more throw and a warmer tint at a small cost was a win-win for me.

holygeez03

Enlightened
Birderbill... do you have the capability of taking accurate beamshots of the stock and de-domed MX25L3? I would love to see the beam profile and tint differences side-by-side... Obviously, there will be an extra variable since I am assuming the vn version has had the current increased a bit, but I would still be interested in the comparison.