Stand by for LED cop light "goodness"

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
I got my first badge in 1977. Back then we were given an allowance to buy flashlights and everybody opted for Kel-Lites. These were heavy 3-5 cell aluminum Incan flashlights very primitive by today's standards. Shortly before I retired, we got SL-20 Streamlights, lightweight, bright but not LEDs or Li-ion.

Most of these small "tactical" lights are nice, but thinking back to how I worked, they'd be a narrow use case for me. Most of my career was street patrol, ultimately as a Sgt. There are so many times I needed my hands free but light at the same time. So the light was tucked under the non-dominant arm. That wouldn't work well with the little tactical lights. But they would / do work very well with a weapon drawn and held in the high ready position. This could be awkward with an SL-20 or the monster. Were it now, then, I would have carried two lights one larger (SL20 like) and a small LED like a Fenix etc.

Last edited:

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Way back in the stone age of flashlights the first cop lights were 3D size. And the 2C was called "baby cop light". Rubber bodied numbers that often had ability to twist the head for a beam adjustment.

Some of the baby cop lights were not much bigger than those modern 6 volt flashlights SureFire and others introduced in the 90's. So the well equipped police officer carried a backup flashlight even back then. We're talking late 1910's to the 30's.

It's hard to imagine trying to arm pit tuck a baby cop light. Maybe that's why Streamlight invented the Stinger. Not big like the SL20, not tiny like the Strion, but just about the size of a 3C cop light. Portable yet arm pit tuckable.

Dave D

Flashlight Enthusiast
I got my first badge in 1977. Back then we were given an allowance to buy flashlights and everybody opted for Kel-Lites. These were heavy 3-5 cell aluminum Incan flashlights very primitive by today's standards. Shortly before I retired, we got SL-20 Streamlights, lightweight, bright but not LEDs or Li-ion.

Most of these small "tactical" lights are nice, but thinking back to how I worked, they'd be a narrow use case for me. Most of my career was street patrol, ultimately as a Sgt. There are so many times I needed my hands free but light at the same time. So the light was tucked under the non-dominate arm. That wouldn't work well with the little tactical lights. But they would / do work very well with a weapon drawn and held in the high ready position. This could be awkward with an SL-20 or the monster. Where it now, then, I would have carried two lights one largeer (SL20 like) and a small LED like a Fenix etc.
Times have definitely changed, today those out on the streets have, expandable batons, incapacitant spray, tasers, rigid handcuffs and the like, they last thing they'd want is to loose their flashlight from under their non-dominate arm when going for one of their other pieces of equipment. LOL

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
they last thing they'd want is to loose their flashlight from under their non-dominate arm when going for one of their other pieces of equipment. LOL
It just depends on what's going on at the time. If light along with both hands is needed, holding a little flashlight could be problematic. There are several times we put the light under the non-dominant arm and aim it while doing something else. There no one answer for all situations. You improvise, adapt, and overcome as the situation requires.

Holding one of the small flashlights makes for a one-handed cop. Ok in some scenarios, not ok in others.

Were I working today, there's no way going back to a big heavy flashlight would be my choice. There would be two, a full size light and a smaller one.

It's hard to imagine trying to arm pit tuck a baby cop light. Maybe that's why Streamlight invented the Stinger. Not big like the SL20, not tiny like the Strion, but just about the size of a 3C cop light. Portable yet arm pit tuckable.
The Stinger wasn't even a gleam in the SL's eye when I worked, but seems like a decent compromise. Looking more closely, I think the Streamlights that came in just before I retired were maybe SL15s and not 20s. Plastic/poly-c and shorter than the 20. They fit very well in a uniform pocket on the back of the thigh. When it came time to cuff somebody the light was easily and quickly dropped into the pocket and easily retrieved for immediate use if need be.

A "baby cop light" (LOL) has its uses and I'd have one, but in my experience it would be slightly niche compared to a Stinger or bigger. So two for the rode.

ABTOMAT

Flashlight Enthusiast
My rechargeable collection isn't very large but here's a visual reference of Streamlight models for anyone casually following this thread. Left to right:
-SL-15
-SL-15 (alternate color)
-SL-20
-SL-20 (alternate color)
-SL-35
-SL20X
-SL-20XP
-SL-20XP (alternate color)
-SL-20X LED (xenon, LED combo)
-Stinger (xenon)
-Ultra Stinger LED
-Stinger 2020

zmNm1n7.jpg

Last edited:

michiganstud

Enlightened
Being able to tuck the light under the arm is still very important in today's LE world. It's a tactic that allows you to have use of your two hands, mostly for writing info on your ticket book or notepad at night. These small p60 sized lights do absolutely suck for that. Slight movement and your light goes plop on the pavement. But they do work better for tactical searches when you have your weapon drawn.

The Stinger was/is the best light for both worlds to cover both needs.

tech25

Flashlight Enthusiast
I noticed a lot of police officers especially evening/night shift have a small light clipped to their epaulets for administrative tasks.

Others clip their (pelican 7600?) lights to their vest or chest pocket.

rwolfenstein

Enlightened
Being able to tuck the light under the arm is still very important in today's LE world. It's a tactic that allows you to have use of your two hands, mostly for writing info on your ticket book or notepad at night. These small p60 sized lights do absolutely suck for that. Slight movement and your light goes plop on the pavement. But they do work better for tactical searches when you have your weapon drawn.

The Stinger was/is the best light for both worlds to cover both needs.
Do you wear an outer carrier? One with Molle? I found that the Nebo Lil Larry fits in the molle straps on the front of my vest. It runs on triple A batteries and has 2 brightness levels with a red flashing mode. Its more than enough light for me to be handsfree with my notepad and checking ID's.

michiganstud

Enlightened
Do you wear an outer carrier? One with Molle? I found that the Nebo Lil Larry fits in the molle straps on the front of my vest. It runs on triple A batteries and has 2 brightness levels with a red flashing mode. Its more than enough light for me to be handsfree with my notepad and checking ID's.
No, class A with body armour underneath. It's all on the belt.

knucklegary

Flashlight Enthusiast
Would anyone be interested in a thread on lights used by the other side of the law? Possibly with Evidence/Discovery pictures(still working on this part) and released property. From actual CPFer who is name will be kept secret. Along with some short stories.
Are you saying a thread of short stories from a local criminals point of view?

"Anything you say can and will be used against you in a court of law"

Sounds good to me.. :buttrock:

chillinn

Flashlight Enthusiast
It's been bothering me since you first posted images of it, but it finally came to me what that Cold Steel 7AA is missing: a horse.

h32yw9I_d.webp

bykfixer

Flashaholic
Funny the 3D Maglite was mentioned. I was watching a tv show recently where a burglar used a 3D Maglite to break glass at a point of entry then set about pilfering around the home. A neighbor walking past the house saw the bright light moving all about inside of the darkened house and called police.

Sometimes when I'm walking about in my darkened home at 2am I pick a flashlight that won't cause a night owl walking past my house to call the police for that reason.

Lawman VII XIV

Newly Enlightened
These small p60 sized lights do absolutely suck for that. Slight movement and your light goes plop on the pavement. But they do work better for tactical searches when you have your weapon drawn.
Exactomundo. If I was working today instead of retired I'd have two lights just for the above applications.