My dream light, Surefire AA E2L

Swedpat

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice video Whiskeyfox! :thumbsup:

I have Surefire E2L AA. Not a perfect beam, not the brightest. But it's tough, simple and provides long runtime with all kind of AA batteries. The quality feeling is unbeatable. It's the 2AA light I would rely on out in the wilderness or, as you mention, for emergency situation.

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
Any flood at all or is it pure throw?

It's not what I would call "pure throw" but the optic does put more into the hotspot than into the flood part of the beam. The spill is effective for several yards.

Here's the "old" style with the KX1B head (30 yards to the wooden swing)

20130727121218-b00420cf.jpg

And the new E2LAA-A that was released last month

20130727121220-7e7cf7ff.jpg

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
the new one looks like it has more of a neutral white tint according to your pictures...?

880arm

Flashlight Enthusiast
the new one looks like it has more of a neutral white tint according to your pictures...?

It's definitely warmer and I would agree somewhat more neutral than the cool white of the KX1B shown in the photos. Of the three new Outdoorsman lights, the E2LAA-A has the most accurate tint. There is still a touch of green, particularly around the corona of the hotspot but it's not that noticeable (to me at least) in normal use.

You can see beamshots of the other two 2013 versions in this thread.

Whiskeyfox

Newly Enlightened
well, like I said in the video, eventually i'd like to own both and do a compare and contrast video... i'd really like to see them side by side to see size difference and whatnot, and discuss the different tints... you've been so helpful in this endeavor, I really appreciate your time you have put into this.

Raven

Enlightened
Thank you very much 880arm. For the past five years, I have been buying cheap lights and watching the bulbs burn out in just a few months of occasional use. Enough is enough. It's time for me to bite the bullet, pony up the cash, and get a HQ dependable LED flashlight, one that I know I can count on for the next ten years.

pjandyho

Flashlight Enthusiast
Thank you very much 880arm. For the past five years, I have been buying cheap lights and watching the bulbs burn out in just a few months of occasional use. Enough is enough. It's time for me to bite the bullet, pony up the cash, and get a HQ dependable LED flashlight, one that I know I can count on for the next ten years.
:clap: I am glad you see the light. As the saying goes, "I am too poor to buy cheap". Good to know that you learned this now.