My Quick Fenix P1 Review

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Solstice said:
LOL :D

a BIT too much information ;).

Perhaps the 2 stage wasn't implemented so that Fenix can later release the "P1T" which is basically the same light with 2 stages, and a body that is *just* different enough so that everyone will have to buy the light over again. Fenix seems to have inherited a marketing strategy from Nintendo (Gameboy Advance, Advance SP, Micro, DS, DS lite).

I was thinking that same thing, but didn't want to say it. I'm glad you did. Although I commend Fenix for getting products out the door quickly, it pisses people off when they drop $50 or so only to find out a newer/better "version" of their same light is released in a quick time period.

In my case, I use 2-stage lights differently than others here do. Whereas most people want the low mode for reading, checking the kids at night, etc, I only wanted a low mode on those lights that have pretty crappy runtime on high. I used the low-mode as a "battery saving" feature, not for brightness control. If I need lower light, I can cover the opening to stop some of the light from coming out. In the case of the P1, a 2-hour runtime (perfectly regulated) is awesome in today's world of lights, even the customs. Try to name lights that will run this bright for 2-hours. You'll be hard-pressed to find them.

All that being said, I'd still like a low mode in the P1.

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
Update #3 has been applied to the 1st post. It shows the runtime of my 2nd P1 unit. I think it's safe to say that what we have here is a great regulated 2-hour running light that is plenty bright, in about as small of a package as your can get.

dtsoll

Enlightened
TIN, thanks for all your work on this, I ordered one after I saw your graph. 2 hours or thereabouts is a very decent runtime. For the price I can't see how you could go wrong!! Thanks again!! Doug:)

Cmoore

Enlightened
this_is_nascar said:
All that being said, I'd still like a low mode in the P1.

I think I prefer the P1 as it is. I, and I think many other CPF members too, have an ARC AAA or something similar that can take care of the low light requirement.

TIN, I know you are a AAA light fan; why do you also want a low mode on the P1?

AuroraLite

Enlightened
TIN,

Thanks for the review, and I am really surprise to see its comparison to PD...that does tip me over and I too would soon to make my purchase.

dtsoll

Enlightened
Got mine this morning, it is exactly what I have been looking for. Small, simple, bright, cheap, long runtime and very nice!!!! I think I may need another I like it so much. It will make a great companion for my Arc-P. The only two lights I will need to carry, at least for a while:) Thanks TIN and all for the information on these lights!! Doug:)

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
Got mine this past Friday...EXCELLENT bang for the buck! Great output and run-time on a standard 123 cell; AWESOME output on an RCR123! Thanx for the review, TIN...it was your review that pushed me over the edge on this one! Good job...

PJD

billgr

Newly Enlightened
i'm on the fence about one. concerned about the wide variation in tints.

also, will wait for the P1T version...2 stage.

not announced, but knowing fenix, it should be no more than 2-3 months from now. :)

yaesumofo

Flashlight Enthusiast
Nice work on the chartsTIN. My first impression of the light was that it was a whole hellofa lot brighter when I used a rcr123 cell and that there were big solderblobs. It is a cheap chineese light which is a good value. Had this light come out a year or two ago we would have all been lined up to buy them.
I considder this to be a great (interms of brightness) "throwaway" flashlight. It will NOT replace any of my McLuxIII's in any way.
If fenix could do a bit more work on their QC it would be great. Maybe they will come out with a true "PREMIUM" line with higher quality presorted emitters nicer soldering and better QC, oh and of course higher prices.
Yaesumofo

PJD

Flashlight Enthusiast
yaesumofo said:
Nice work on the chartsTIN. My first impression of the light was that it was a whole hellofa lot brighter when I used a rcr123 cell and that there were big solderblobs. It is a cheap chineese light which is a good value. Had this light come out a year or two ago we would have all been lined up to buy them.
I considder this to be a great (interms of brightness) "throwaway" flashlight. It will NOT replace any of my McLuxIII's in any way.
If fenix could do a bit more work on their QC it would be great. Maybe they will come out with a true "PREMIUM" line with higher quality presorted emitters nicer soldering and better QC, oh and of course higher prices.
Yaesumofo

I'm having a little trouble understanding what's going on here, in relation to some of the opinions expressed about the P1. No disrespect, Yaesumofo...I just quoted your post because it seems to encompass a lot of the opinions I'm having trouble understanding.

It may not be Surefire or McClux quality by any means, but I for one certainly don't see it as a "throw-away" light. 3 or 4 years ago when PG first introduced us to the Arc LS, folks were lined up waiting to get them. I understand that it was a "first" in a LOT of categories...but it was $120.00 right out of the gate. Now the P1 comes along sporting some things that even the Arc LS didn't: it's brighter, lasts longer on a 123 cell, has an AR glass lens, has better regulation, and is only a little more than a third of the cost of an Arc LS. Granted, there's nothing "new and excitingly different" about the P1...it's a simple twist-on, single stage 1X123 luxIII light, of which there's many on the market now. But if I were a betting man, I'd bet that the P1 is just as robust and can hold it's own in the durability category as any of the high-dollar custom lights, and will shine just as bright for just as long. Sure, the P1 lacks some of the "refinements" of it's higher priced counterparts, but it has some other features that even some of them don't. A "throw-away" light? Maybe to CPFers who have far more expendable $$ than me or many others on the forum, but in the performance category, I submit that it DOES compete with the "big boys", and at a far more attractive price point.

It's never been touted as a replacement for the McCluxes or the SF's, but it DOES hold it's own against them. I've owned the aforementioned high dollar lights, and while their refinement and durability DID and DOES impress me, the P1 impresses me just as much at it's price point. Just my "confused" $.02...YMMV

PJD

nerdgineer

Flashlight Enthusiast
Agreed. I'll PM a mailing address and PP shipping anytime someone wants to throw their P1 - or any Fenix (or Goldstone or Ultrafire..) product away..:)

dtsoll

Enlightened
Just got some info over on Flashlight-forums.com about the P1, AWTYD says he has info that the P1 runtime isn't all that good. Can someone tell me what this is about?? The graphs look good to me, anyone?? Doug:)

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
dtsoll said:
Just got some info over on Flashlight-forums.com about the P1, AWTYD says he has info that the P1 runtime isn't all that good. Can someone tell me what this is about?? The graphs look good to me, anyone?? Doug:)

Maybe he got a bum P1. We all know that all units of the same model (of any light) are not created equal.

dtsoll

Enlightened
You are probably right Ray, I'll be watching that thread over there to see what Troy has to say about this! Doug:)

powernoodle

Flashlight Enthusiast
I received a P1 today and am very impressed. On a RCR123 its very bright, with a nice tint and some serious throw. A small, very bright, simple light. I got a Proton yesterday, but its the P1 I'm going to be playing with for a good while. Think I'll get a second one.

cheers

jar3ds

Flashlight Enthusiast
this is when someone needs to chime in and say that have fit a flupic in this thing... THEN I would buy it... :D

this_is_nascar

Flashaholic
jar3ds said:
this is when someone needs to chime in and say that have fit a flupic in this thing... THEN I would buy it... :D

Yea, but then you're right back to an expensive light. All the OEM P1 needs, in my opinion, is a low-mode. For me, the P1 isn't winning any awards for "looks" of the light itself. Where it hits home is with its size vs. weight vs. output vs. runtime vs. cost standpoint. If you put the fluPic in there, it's just another plain-looking, multi-level, expensive light that requires rechargable batteries.

Phaserburn

Flashlight Enthusiast
this_is_nascar said:
Yea, but then you're right back to an expensive light. All the OEM P1 needs, in my opinion, is a low-mode. For me, the P1 isn't winning any awards for "looks" of the light itself. Where it hits home is with its size vs. weight vs. output vs. runtime vs. cost standpoint. If you put the fluPic in there, it's just another plain-looking, multi-level, expensive light that requires rechargable batteries.

I agree. The things I love about the P1 are it's simplicity and performance. Sometimes I just really want a no-thought light.